Friday 4 February 2022

Weary

Yes dear blog friends - weary indeed.   I go out so rarely these days so when I do have the luxury of going out I like to get 'dressed up'.   Cashmere jumpers are not really the wear for sitting in the chair all day but they feel so wonderful.   So it was best trousers not my newest ones - as I predicted they will not fasten.   I have only worn them once and that was before I broke my hip.   Now I am determined to lose a  couple of inches off my waistline.  And when it came to putting on my new boots = they fit perfectly well but I just could not lift my leg high enough to get my foot in.   So it was last year's boots too.   But I managed to get dressed up well enough to feel good and the wife of the Audiologist (who is Chinese and possibly the most beautiful woman I have ever seen - and delightful with it) told me I looked good.   Please don't think I am vain but I have always taken great care with my appearance and always loved clothes and it is hard not to continue in the same vein.

The journey to Ripon is a lovely one - twenty odd miles through several pretty villages and roughly following the course of the River Ure which flows through Wensleydale and eventually joins the River Ouse and out into the North Sea at the Humber Estuary.   We drove through snow showers, sunshine, rainbows, strong winds, but all very beautiful.

My visit was not so long this time - just to check that I was happy with my new hearing aids - and he also turned them up to a full one hundred percent - they were only set at eighty percent before.

I tried watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony when I got home but I kept falling asleep and finally gave it up as a bad job.   It will keep until tomorrow.   See you then.

20 comments:

gz said...

Good to have a trip out.
That's one good thing about BBC programmes..you can always watch them at your leisure later when you want!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely journey. I think I'm going to have hearing aids in my future. It'll be interesting to actually hear people again and not have to keep saying, "What? What did you say?"

JennyP said...

Good morning from Australia. Many years ago, in another life of nursing, we used to call it the 'Revlon' effect, where a patient who had been very sick started to take an interest in how they looked and popped some lipstick on. Always presenting yourself as best you can is definitely a good thing!

Heather said...

It's good to get dressed up sometimes. I occasionally do even when there is no special event just to use the clothes that I am saving for 'best'!
Pleased to hear all is going well with the new hearing aids.

Anonymous said...

A cheery post Pat. I can almost see in my mind's eye, and be in, that beautiful countryside.
I ventured into our State's city centre yesterday for a medical appointment - had not had the need to go in for two years. The drive was certainly not as scenic as yours, and so many business closed. I did however buy a small painting from an artists' collective in the heart of the city, along with fine chocolates, so a good day in all. -Pam, Sth Aust.

Ellen D. said...

I am glad the new hearing aids are working out for you. I need new ones too but haven't talked myself into the expense yet! :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ellen D - they may not be as expensive as you think - look into it.
Jebby P - love your comment.

Debby said...

Oh a trip out. You and Jaycee have been remarkably cheered by your time outside your cozy homes! I'm glad you had this day Pat!

Susan said...

Cashmere sweater, slacks and boots sounds lovely. I'm sure you present very well. That's always been important to me too. A scenic ride through the countryside is enjoyable. I'm glad your hearing aids are working well. Getting the hearing aids was a great decision on your part. I hope you consider hiring a sports physio like Rachel has suggested.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, I relate to your clothes problem. Leg lifting! Pants buttoning! And all the rest.

John Going Gently said...

Chin up xx

Rosie said...

I am glad you had a lovely day out and that you got dressed up too. I don't think that is vanity, just wanting to look the best you can. That's what I tell my granddaughters who are all different shapes and sizes. I wish more people would try to look and be the best they can. We visited the UK in 1995 and 1998 when our daughter was working there and one of the highlights of our trip was visiting Fountain's Abbey in Ripon. Thanks for reminding me of the beautiful drive there.

Cro Magnon said...

I watched about 2 mins of the opening ceremony; far too tedious.

Librarian said...

You know my take on clothes and fashion, and here‘s my thumbs up for you dressing so nicely and always taking care of yourself. Cashmere is wonderful, isn‘t it, as is silk.
Every time you mention Ripon I think of my home away from home and hope to be there again this summer.

Sue said...

We used to enjoy wonderful meals at the old Deanery in Ripon when I was young. The first time I had minestrone soup that wasn't out of a tin!

Tom Stephenson said...

I think this is the weariest time of year, Weave.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro - I found it tedious too and the fact that there was barely an audience didn't help did it?

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sue - don't know whether The Old Deanery is still a Restaurant - it used to be.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks to one and all.

thelma said...

100% hearing must be good and then a drive through several weather events must be special. Three cheers for English weather.