Wednesday 2 February 2022

A Cautionary Tale to start the day

Just had a little laugh amd thought it would amuse you all to start your day - so here goes.

As you know I am severely handcapped as far as walking goes and my drive is steep so I have to take certain precautions when going out.  

The post box is directly opposite my house on the other side of the road which is very handy but still I have to get all togged up, open up the garage, get out my walker and put on sensible shoes, struggle down the drive, cross the road and return - no chance of slipping across the lawn and back. 

Tomorrow is my step great grand daughter's birthday so it was vital I caught this morning's first class post - the card, along with by now five other items of mail, has been waiting a couple of days for me to catch the post lady who will always take them for me.

I decided straight after breakfast to put on my mac and boots (it is a wet morning), and go through the whole procedure so that the envelopes were in that box before the mail was collected (any time between half pa st eight and half past two this afternoon).   Half way through getting togged up I looked out of my sitting room window (half past seven in the morning) and there - right outside my window- was a young man - a teenager- presumably standing waiting for a lift- and while waiting he was quite obviously having a wee in the gutter!   I quietly opened the front door and stood until he had finished (quite a while he must have had a lot to drink at breakfast) and then called out 'Excuse me' -

He shot round - with a very red face I might add - and presumably expected to be told off.   Instead -in my very best school teacher voice- I said, "I wonder if you would be kind enough to just slip across the road with these letters to the post box to save me getting my invalid carriage out of the garage and struggling down the drive in the rain."   He was at the door in a flash - I watched him as he nipped across the road, put the letters in the box and then came back to where he had originally been standing.  As he got there I just gave him a bright smile and said "Thanks ever so much -you've done your good deed for the day and saved me a bit of a struggle".

41 comments:

the veg artist said...

Oh, well done Weave!

Tom Stephenson said...

I was caught doing that between two parked cars recently, but I couldn't redeem myself by posting letters.

Lynn Marie said...

He will always remember you.

JayCee said...

He must be a good'un to have helped out without quibbling. At least the rain will have washed away all the evidence of his misdemeanour.

Lynn Marie said...

And I'd love to hear the story from his point of view.

Tasker Dunham said...

Brilliant tale. Everything unsaid was as telling as what was actually said.

Librarian said...

Oh dear! I wonder how (if at all) he told his friends/colleagues/family about this!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Well, that's a relief. Getting your letters posted, I mean.

Derek Faulkner said...

Brilliant Pat, similar to how Lynn Marie said, I'd love to hear how he told that one to his friends.

Minigranny said...

What a lovely lad! So glad he was willing to be a help .

The Weaver of Grass said...

Don't expect he told his mum!

Bovey Belle said...

I bet he won't do that again!!! Glad he saved you having to go out in the rain to post your mail though.

Anonymous said...

Making a positive out of what could have been a negative - brilliant 😀
Alison x

gz said...

Well done on both counts!

Mary said...

You must have been a wonderful school teacher Pat.
I wonder if he'll come back!

Jules said...

Love this. You must have given him quite a surprise. X

Marcia LaRue said...

That gave me a good chuckle this cold, snowy morning here in S. Colorado. Here's hoping you have a wonderful day!

Melinda from Ontario said...

I laughed out loud when you said you used your best school teacher voice. I have to use mine on occasion as well. To my astonishment, it still works. lol

Ellen D. said...

Good story, Weaver!

thelma said...

Funny story Pat, but poor lad must have been embarrassed. Teach him to go behind a hedge next time.

Helen said...

So funny! It’s morning in Oregon, you made my day!!

The Feminine Energy said...

*haha* It's the least he could do for using a "public toilet", eh? *LOL* I'm glad he saved you the trip to the mailbox, Weaver! Stay inside where it's safe! I admire you though for remembering birthdays & such. I have an aunt (86yo) who is so self-centered on herself that she drives everybody crazy. One day she called me 8 times... within a 12-hr time span. She worries about her blood pressure, worries about her heart, worries about everything related to her and nobody else. She just got out of the hospital (once again) and was deemed in good health... but she does NOT believe it. Her adult boys (& their spouses!!) have had it with her. She's been this way since I was a little girl. Her husband took the brunt end of it all until he died 3 years ago and now she must "reach out" to others and it's driving everybody nuts! When she calls me I talk about YOU all the time, to her, Weaver. You are a shining example of how an 80-something woman should think & act. God bless you, my friend!! ~Andrea xoxoxo

Susan said...

That was an awkward moment for the boy. He seems like a very nice fellow helping you with your mail. Thanking him made his day.

Anonymous said...

That is the best way to start the day with a very funny, laugh-out-loud story. Thank you for that!

Lesley Duncan said...

Hahaha Well done for taking advantage of the situation.

Jennifer said...

Hahaha! He got to redeem himself, and everyone was happy. Win win!

Debby said...

Hahahahaaaa! I'm picturing it in my head right now: "Helloooooo? When your hands are free, could you do me a favor?"

Too funny. Weaver, you are a hoot.

Anonymous said...

I laughed when you said about your best teaching voice. When I was my most stressed as a teacher, I would remember the gentle dulcet tones of Julian Clary, and re-direct my attitude. Can imagine his voice in your situation, although he would be tempted to say something cheeky I'm sure. Another 'teaching voice' situation I witnessed recently was a big burly father admonishing his two rowdy little children in the post office with 'let's use our inside voices boys shall we?" - Pam.

Sharon in Surrey said...

You cheeky old broad!!! I laughed out loud.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely loved this story - you gave us such a laugh!
Wendy (Wales)

Anne said...

Eewww! All those germs on your envelopes..
Gross! 😳

Virginia said...

Teehee! He’ll think twice about where he relieves himself from now on! At least he was a kind lad, facing you to take the mail.

Heather said...

That really made me chuckle.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad I made you al laugh. x

Heather said...

Still chuckling!

marlane said...

Aww what an amazing exchange and I hope that you taught him some respect !!

Hilde said...

What a nice story! "Your best school teacher voice" - I am sure you have been a great teacher. Thanks to you, I am starting the day with a chuckle.
Hilde in Germany

Daisy Debs said...

Was chuckling for the rest of the day ! ha ha !

Sue said...

Now that is just so nice ... and I bet he spent an hour or so wondering just how much you had seen of his little misdemeanour.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad I started your day off with a smile.

Granny Sue said...

Best story I've read all day.Smiling and smiling.