Tuesday 15 February 2022

Sorry I missed a day

but life is a bit busy at present.   Storms are forecast from this evening so Priscilla and I will be housebound for a few days.   But I am having the perfect antidote in that I have heard from the Company accountant that at last the company can be 'wound up' which means that the seven years worth of accounts and books I have been storing in a cupboard can at last be disposed of.   The law says that seven years accounts have to be kept - after which everything can be destroyed because of course the company no longer exists.    In a way how lucky that this should coincide with a spell when I was going to be deprived of exercises.   Because all the bending and stretching I am doing as I am exercising different muscles.  Tonight I actually feel rather good although I am tired.

And what treasures I have unearthed - remember it is almost five years since I moved in here and put everything away in cupboards.   In the first instance friend W asked me if I had kept the file of words from when I played with ukuleles and we went round various nursing homes and played for the elderly to sing along (the group is still exists but arthritis in my fingers makes playing too difficult).  I couldn't find it anywhere but it was the first thing I came across this afternoon.   Then I found my craft bag - I used to indulge in various crafts - knitting, crochet, quilting, beading all impossible now with my hand tremor which means I can't even thread a needle.   Ispent an hour sorting it all out and have now sent a text to friend S saying will she please take it and anything she doesn't want can she put on the table at her next craft meeting for anyone to take.   There must be more than twenty pairs of knitting needles so hopefully folk will notice a size they haven't got.

 I have been worrying about all these accounts papers for a while, Mainly because it is a big job and not one I would wish my son to have to do after I am gone - at least I know what everything is.**

So what else is News.   I hear on the News at Six that Prince Andrew has at last done the 'sensible thing' - this must be a great relief for the Queen in her special year because it was a bit of a blot hanging over things for a lady of ninety five. 

And Russia has pulled some of its troops back from the brink - well at least that is a start.

And Jokovich has explained why he is willing to forego playing anywhere this year because he feels he is entitled to do as he wishes with his own body.

Oh goodness me, I only have to miss listening to the News for one day for me to get behind with it all.   The world has moved on without me - and I don't suppose it will make a scrap of difference.

See you tomorrow.   Cling on tight in the forthcoming storm. 

**  The accountant has an industrial shredder and all the material will go through that (what a boring job for somebody)

 

19 comments:

Ruth said...

So Prince Andrew has finally done "something" that the Queen is happy with? From here in the States, I'm wondering what exactly is meant by that phrase. Could you be more specific? We have to keep things for seven years too, and that is just our home finances.

Debby said...

Oh it sounds like a positive day on the whole. If Andrew had made his statements earlier in the year he would have saved a bit of dignity.

Sue said...

Is it really five years since you moved into your bungalow? How quickly time passes.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I got great satisfaction reading about your success with the old paperwork clean out. Hearing about other's accomplishments is almost as satisfying as completing one's own projects. I've been on a "clean-out" mission myself for two years now. I'm tackling every drawer, cupboard and closet in the house... a bit at a time.
I'm glad to hear Putin is withdrawing some of his troops from the Ukraine border. I hope he keeps it up. One of my relatives, stationed at an Air Force Base near the Atlantic ocean, said Russian aircraft had been spotted in the air of late. It's frightening to think how quickly things can turn.

Anonymous said...

Re the shredding..I quite like boring jobs Weave. Husband and I have both had stressful jobs alll our lives. and cannot believe that we have finally reached the safety of retirement. My most boring job was feeding endless hospital xray reports, page by page into a photographic microfiche machine, a fill-in job before uni started. Loved it - though my boss kept apologising for the mundanity. A job with no stress while listening to great radio programs! Finding it hard to find sympathy for Andrew - a pampered personality.- Pam.

Minigranny said...

That does sound like busy time for you. Good to get it all clear though. I love a good sort out.

Heather said...

It is so good to have a clear out. Every now and then I have one, even though I have only been in my flat for four and a half years I find stuff accumulating, then one of the local charity shops gets a delivery.
I am trying not to watch the news right now - it is too dismal and there is not a thing I can do about it.
Keep safe from the storms.

Susan said...

The end of an era as they say. Done and finished after 7 years holding. I, too, am thrilled to think Putin is backing off. Ukraine has built a democracy and the people want their freedom. It would be a shame for the world if they lost everything. I'm also happy for the Queen; as her son has done the right thing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ruth they always say that Andrew is the Queen's favourite - not sure what evidence there is for this. But really he has caused her such embarrasment and heartache for so long I think it is good he has done something to draw attention away from himself so that the Quuen can enjoy a well-earned celebration with dignity.

Joanne Noragon said...

One company I worked for shredded all the greenbar reports that were no longer needed and used them as product packing. I could only think how customers must hate them as it all came out of the boxes and made a mess.

Red said...

Records of our activities are a load. I'm glad you have it sorted out and done.

Librarian said...

Well done, Pat! Here, we have to keep hold of accounts and similarly relevant records for ten years, and in the insurance industry (where several of my clients are), some stuff has to be kept for 30 years after a contract has ended, when it is to do with life insurance. Phew!
As for boring jobs, like someone else said in their comment here, I sometimes like those, too; they give my mind a chance to rest and go where it wants to while my hands still get something done.
The storm is forecast to hit Northern Germany (so not my area) today, too, but will probably move towards my part of the country eventually. Stay safe!

Derek Faulkner said...

I watched the first part of a programme about the rise of Hitler on BBC last night and was interested to see how he went about invading Russia. Firstly, he moved many thousands of troops and tanks, etc., to all along the German border with Russia. He then managed to convince Stalin that he was not intending to invade Russia, the German troops were only there carrying out exercises.
Clearly Putin must be aware of that piece of history and be re-enacting it in reverse.

Rachel Phillips said...

I am surprised you were worried that your son might have been bothered with the disposal of the farm records, I would have thought it would be the least of his disposal problems, shred. Shredding was often a task I undertook with the Council in my temping years, always a fine job for thought and pleasure and undertaken in short time bursts, never any expectation that one person would sit doing it for hours. Mindless tasks are some of the best for the brain as opposed to clerical duties which are not taxing but do require full concentration and no chance of idly thinking of anything else. It is a research proven fact.

thelma said...

Think that the annoying thing about shredders is that they fill up too quickly. Now we have to record most of our stuff on computers. Someone should perhaps create a proper filing system on them.

The Feminine Energy said...

I'm so glad you are now able to get rid of the mountains of paperwork you surely had, with the business. What a relief and what a nice clearing-out that must have been. If there's anything I despise, it's mountains of paperwork. I detest it! I've been of a "clearing out" mindset too. I think that comes with age, do you? I know the folks who receive your knitting needles will be pleased as punch. ~Andrea xoxo

Susan said...

I think you are a very organised person. I've started cleaning my fridge before grocery shopping since reading how you prepared for your groceries. So much better than having the bags sitting on the table while I hastily pull out old lettuce etc from the bins. It was stressing me out each week.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - I feel a bit better about it now I know it won't be down to one poor office junior, Andrea I am nowhere near being finished but have done another bag today.

Thanks for calling in

Rachel Phillips said...

Big companies use professional shredding firms who come round monthly to take shredding away, as in fact did the Council I worked for but there was often some shredding done in house. Solicitors and accountants often use these professionals too.