Sunday 13 February 2022

You need an umbrella!

 What a day.   It has never stopped raining.   I had my second Covid test this morning and again it was negative so it does look as though I have missed getting it now that a week has passed.   It was a weak link but I am nevertheless pleased at having the tests just in case.

I fiddled about doing various jobs this morning and had my lunch.   I settled down to put on a post and the door bell rang.   It was my friend and neighbour bearing gifts - two delicious chocolate and strawberry cup cakes for Valentines Day tomorrow. Thank you H - they were delicious.

I watched an interesting Countryfile about how the huge increase in visitors last Summer to the Snowdonia National Park resulted in a corresponding huge increase in the amount of rubbish they left behind.   And also they mostly tramped up Snowdon and wore the paths away so that they too are having to be repaired.   I have never understood peoples' attitude to taking their rubbish in the form of picnics and the like to various beauty spots, packing it carefully so that it looks a   delicious spread when they take it all out and spread it on the tablecloth.   At this point many of them become totally different people and just behave as if they have no need to clean up after themselves.   Similarly people let their dogs off leads and allow them to poo anywhere they wish and then ignore it, not cleaning it up so that animals grazing on the slopes pick up dangerous diseases.

The Countryfile programme was followed by the first in a new series of Antiques Foad Show.   The last item was a photograph  of the lady's Grandfather who had been a Battle of Britain Spitfire Pilot.   She brought several of his diaries, his photograph and - most importantly - his medals.  They were spectacular - just .medal after medal for extreme bravery.   The valuer - extremely visibly moved by the display- valued the collection at one hundred thousand pounds.   He was hardly able to speak as he spoke of the bravery of these young men.

If you want a really lovely walk today do go to John's post on my sidebar 'By Stargoose and Hanglands' An English Estuary'.   He writes very well and his photography is good and today's walk along the Estuary of the River Orwell is bliss on such a miserable day.

See you all tomorrow.   Friend M is coming for coffee in the morning and bringing two warm scones.   What more could a girl of 89 want?


18 comments:

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

We have had the same on the Saddleworth Moors with all the extra walkers during lockdown. The Oldham council had to put double yellow lines down each side of the road up on the moors to stop the parking as it is quite a narrow road with deep ditches on either side. It is the first time there has been any lines up there and it does look out of place and has spoilt a place of natural beauty - I expect that next they will be putting up signs.

Susan said...

While you have had rain all day, I had light snow. Litter on the ground certainly takes away from any landscape and is totally unacceptable. The dog poop problem in my town got so bad that a crew had to be hired to remove it from a soccer field before our youth team could play one year. Town leadership instituted rules and a fine for not picking up. The problem is now greatly reduced.

The Furry Gnome said...

I enjoyed following John on his walk too.

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope the next wave of walkers are kinder to the environment.

Barbara Anne said...

We had 21*C here yesterday so our 7 hours of snow this afternoon and eve didn't stick despite the 3*C that accompanied the snow.
Sorry thoughtless people made such a mess of the parkland. I find it unthinkable to be that irresponsible.

Hugs!

Cro Magnon said...

I saw part of the Countryfile programme. Like you, seeing rubbish everywhere, even in beauty sports, makes my blood boil.

Librarian said...

Yes, we've been on about the subject of people leaving their rubbish anywhere before on your blog, and nobody I know (this inclues you and my fellow readers here) can understand how people can be like that.
Here in Germany, we have the same problem with beautiful areas like the Blackforest (where O.K. and I often walk - just not near the "hot spots").

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Thank you for the publicity!

thelma said...

I also read an article about comments left on Trip Advisor, about there not being food outlets and loo blocks when they got to the top of mountains!!! No respect for the environment and the 'me, me' attitude sadly.

Rachel Phillips said...

Did you have a Covid scare?

Sue in Suffolk said...

The amount of rubbish by the main road when I drove along the A14 last week was disgusting too and to see the damage done in the National parks by people who just don't care is soul destroying.

Only half a days rain here but an icy cold wind all day

Chris said...

Hello Pat, Rhett sends love to Priscilla back! Rained all day here too yesterday but this morning there's sunshine and it looks glorious out. We're up and dressed and showered earlier than usual. We thought the booked electrician was coming, but its Thursday and not today, perhaps we should have looked at the calendar last evening not this morning!

The Feminine Energy said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Weaver! I hope you have a wonderful love-filled day today! I'm certainly blowing you a kiss from across the miles from Indiana. ~Andrea xoxoxo

Ellen D. said...

You have a great life, Pat! Happy Valentine's Day!

Melinda from Ontario said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Pat! Despite the dreary weather, it sounds like you're having/had a lovely day. I love scones as well- especially with butter and jam.

Debby said...

You sound as if you are being very well tended to! I have been told that I am arriving in the season of the sideways rain.

Heather said...

Cup cakes and warm scones - what could be nicer on these cold winter days. We had our first communal coffee morning for two years today - warm clothes recommended and doors open! It was so nice to chat to neighbours one has seldom seen in that time.
We had rain all day yesterday. Today not as wet but a cold wind and damp in the air.
I am always appalled by people's thoughtless and selfish actions by leaving beauty spots, or anywhere else, strewn with their litter.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for responding. Rachel asks if I had a Covid scare. My reserve carer went down with Covid on the Wednesday after being here on the previous Sunday. I understand she is still testing positive and feeling poorly. I have tested myself every other day until today - just to be on the safe side - all tests have been negative.