Monday 9 May 2022

Sorry

 Sorry - two days without a blog!!   No excuse except that I had no time.  I can't remember why I didn't do one on Saturday but yesterday Friends T and S called in the morning and had a coffee.   T was going to a Bee meeting in the afternoon and S asked me if I would like to go out for a ride somewhere.   I never say no to a ride out these days so of course I said 'yes please'.   She kindly asked where I would like to go.

I read an article in the Sunday Times by Joe Swift talking about planting up one's pots by the front door.   At present I have pansies in two of mine - pansies which have been in all winter but will not last all summer too so need re-planting.   The other two have recently been planted up by my gardener - each one with an osteospermum and already growing strongly - each pot will  soon be  filled and we shall see how they turn out.  This leaves the pansy pots.   Joe Swift says be adventurous - don't plant them convent ionally with perhaps one plant round the outside (alyssum/lobelia springs to mind) - fill the plant pot really full - perhaps something a bit taller up against the wall (I have chosen a pink dahlia), then fill in with plants of various sizes and colours and put a couple of trailing plants to hang over at the front.  Once planted fill in between the plants with good compost and  then feed and water regularly.   So I am doing just that.   And we shall see how they turn out.   My son brought me a bag of compost round this morning.   The plants are out in the day time and in at night.   In about another week I shall leave them out at night and cover them if frost is forecast.

It was a delightful journey - we went Richmond way, did our shopping at the Garden Centre and then back round by Marske.   The gorse was everywhere showing us its very bright yellow - as were the dandelions.  Gardens had white and Purple Lilac in profusion.   How I miss being out in the countryside I love and how very good it is of S and T to think of taking me.   It is a nuisance for them.  I have to sit in the front as I can't get into the back and they also have to fold Priscilla and put her in the back because I can't walk without her.   So sincere thanks T and S for taking the time for me.  (Incidentally - they called today with a share of their black grapes and blueberries - they had been to market).

I have had to stay in today for MedEquip to call and bring me a fancy inflatable  thing to put into my bed for my feet to be on in the night in an attempt to stop me getting another ulcer starting to form on my heel..

It is now half past seven and the sky is incredibly black with huge black clouds scudding across and a sharp wind blowing.   Not really a May day.   I will see you all tomorrow - I have absolutely nothing marked on my calendar so should have plenty of time.

17 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

It's lovely to have friends to come call and to whisk you and Priscilla away to the delight of a garden center in springtime!
Fret not about two days without a blog post. We know you'll have worthwhile things to say when you return.
Sweet dreams!

Hugs!

Rachel Phillips said...

I am glad you were taken out for a ride today Weave. If I lived near you I would call in and see you.

Heather said...

What a lovely surprise. I had something similar recently by way of a belated birthday trip to Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds. The journey itself was a treat through such beautiful countryside with carpets of bluebells, cowslips, cow parsley and tiny lambs all to be enjoyed. We do notice if you have not posted, but you are allowed a couple of days off now and then so long as you are well!

Minigranny said...

I'm glad you've got out in the lovely countryside. Such a lift to the spirit! Sheila

Chris said...

Your ideas for potting plants have encouraged me to try something new. My pansies still look good so I will keep them going for a while.

Ellen D. said...

Glad your friends took you for a drive. I have been without the internet for a couple of days and I sure do miss visiting with my blog friends so I am glad to be back on again! How I have come to depend on it!

Debby said...

Getting out for a car ride must have been greatly cheering. I'm glad that you are surrounded by attentive friends.

Susan said...

Your car ride with friends sounds delightful. Dahlias are wonderful in pots. Some grow to 5 feet and flower throughout the growing season. Smaller plants trailing over the side of the pot will be beautiful with the Dahlia. Dahlias also like being in sheltered places.

Red said...

Absolutely no problem missing a couple of posts. We understand. A ride in the country is well worth while.

Bonnie said...

It's always refreshing to go out for a ride with friends. It's nice they shared their grapes and blueberries with you. There are so many delicious ways to use fruit like that.

Cro Magnon said...

I need to visit our nearby Garden Centre. Pots need re-planting, and my few hanging Tomato plants need to go in. I didn't read Swift's article; I must search it out.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a lovely time. Your friends would have enjoyed the pleasure it gave you. Keep well.-Pam.

Derek Faulkner said...

Mmmm, just one week into May and any new planting in the garden looks like a non-event, the ground is rock hard and cracking badly. My lawns are also starting to yellow and with a hot weekend and next week forecast, things aren't going to change much.
You should never have to apologise for not writing blogs, they're surely not a commitment.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I absolutely love going for drives when I get to be the passenger. I love being able to take my time staring at old country houses and gardens without the responsibility of having to keep the car on the road. You have wonderful friends. They understand how lovely it is to be chauffeured around.

Mary said...

Bless T&S for being such wonderful friends. A country drive is always the best - and especially in your beautiful part of England. I'll be coming home to Devon in June and hope to be offered a true country drive by a family member or friend - we no longer drive in the UK! Of course a trip over Dartmoor would be my first choice, with a cream tea and a quaint pub stop along the way!
Glad you're doing pretty pots - sending sunshine for them to thrive and bloom soon.
Hugs, Mary

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for your kind remarks. Here I am back and ready to go.

The Weaver of Grass said...

My new cleaner is coming in the morning - my last one got the full time job she was searching for. Thank you as usual for all your comments