Monday 2 May 2022

May Day Zoom

 Well it has been a dull day here - the Sahara is supposed to be sending us warm air later in the week but no sign yet. Priscilla and I had our walk this morning and felt much better for it.  All that is left now is our five laps of the patio and hopefully that will be done after tea.   But in between W and I have our fortnightly Zoom at 5pm with P and D in Grange over Sands.   They sent  photographs of wild flowers for me to identify but five years of no going over that side of  the country - in fact no going anywhere - and anything I ever knew about wild flowers of the Lakes has been forgotten.

S and T came this afternoon for a coffee and to collect six varied pots which have held bulbs, now finished.  They are all attractive pots and at Christmas will easily be planted up with hyacinths and the like for presents.   I shall never do it so I suggested they might like to do so and they have collected them out of my way.   Isn't it a good feeling as the shed or garage begins to look tidy?

I think we are beginning to have nests of baby birds in the garden.   Dad birds sing early in the morning and them Mums and Dads are searching frantically inthe lawn for grubs and the like.    We even have a Mum and Dad crow digging their long sharp beaks deep into the lawn after grubs - all, in fact, helping the gardener.

Well, what topics shall we cover on Zoom today?  If anything interesting I shall be backlater to report.  Otherwise see you all tomorrow.

17 comments:

Jennyff said...

I was checking our hedges today for signs of birds nests, nothing, I think the birds avoid being near humans because of the stupid Italian hunters who will shoot anything. The seeds and nuts I hang in nets from the trees for them never gets eaten, I see few birds in the garden which I find rather sad but happily I have heard the cuckoo.

Jules said...

The dawn chorus woke me shortly before 5am this morning. A little early, even for me, but it is such a joyous sound. Xx

Barbara Rogers said...

I also have a lot of old pots to give/throw away...the plants died last fall. I usually just buy the little 6 packs of seedlings, and then plant them into the old soil...and add new soil from the bag I already bought. Of course the difference between us is that all my gardening is in pots...to be on my balcony (tiny) or front porch. I also forget most of the wild flower designations. It's as if that part of my brain just has a hole in it!

Derek Faulkner said...

Unfortunately, where I live in North Kent we are having yet another bone dry April, and it's sad to watch Blackbirds trying to find anything that their chicks can eat. The ground is like concrete and so worms are out of the question, there's no soft fruit about and so, are the chicks starving to death?

Rachel Phillips said...

Good to hear of your day free of complaint. Life is good to you.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Birds nesting close by is a treat. Have a relaxing evening

Heather said...

Such a lovely time of year - bird song and nests, flowers, leaves on trees and showers to help it all along. It looked very grey and drab this morning so I put on a warm jumper and my quilted jacket for my walk. I was very surprised to find it mild and almost muggy and got home really warm. I opened all the windows and didn't put the fire on until the afternoon. Thank you Sahara for the warmer air.

Minigranny said...

That sounds like s good day and hopefully baby birds to see in the coming days.

Susan said...

The birds are very busy in April and May. How nice that you have a nest in your garden. Watching baby birds fly for the first time is amazing. May is usually warmer but given our unpredictable weather, I'll keep my jacket handy.

Anonymous said...

Here in northern Arizona the lizards are running around outside, the squirrels are sunning themselves, and the bats are back flying at dusk.

Irene

Anonymous said...

I think watching babies of any sort navigating their way in the world and learning to walk or fly is wonderful. The very young are such a joy in life . I can't bear any mistreatment - and one of my most favourite things is the fat warm little belly of a puppy. How could you not smile at that.- Pam

The Weaver of Grass said...

You can buy dry worms and also shredded suet - both of which are loved by blackbird and robins.

Cro Magnon said...

I bought a nice repro-antique cast iron bird bath yesterday. It has been so dry here, that the poor birds must be very thirsty. I must put some food out too.

Bonnie said...

What a busy day you've had! You have so many wonderful friends to visit with each week. I do love to watch all the baby birds and squirrels in the spring! The young squirrels are such fun to watch when they play and chase each other.

Librarian said...

Well done with your walk(s), Pat!
Everything I know about flowers I have learned from my Mum. She knows almost every one, and sometimes when on a walk we come across a particularly beautiful one we don‘t know or are not sure about, I take a picture with my mobile and send it to her.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. There has been a shower overnight and the plants have perked up. It is just dull now but Saharan weather forecast for the weekend.

Melinda from Ontario said...

My backyard is bursting with birds these days. In fact my bird houses have almost full occupancy at the moment. I was amused to discover that one of the bird houses that I hung, which I considered to be more ornamental than practical, already has a family of sparrows occupying it. Clearly they enjoy the fancy balcony and fake window boxes in their new abode. I also have two bird baths and a bird feeder so my flock feels they have everything they need to raise a family. It's all very satisfying to watch.