Thursday 5 May 2022

Thursday

At last!   Even with my poor eye sight and my inability to climb the steps into the garden I can now see which are fading tulips and which are alliums coming into bud.   I have no idea how many so far but at least there are some, so I am  happy.   And after a few showers - notably in the night so that they have done more good before the sun dries them up- everything is looking better.   Except that is for my iris.   I have just noticed that my gardener has covered the rhizomes with mulch.   They do not look happy and neither am I.   When she comes I shall explain to her that the rhizomes need to see the light of day.

It is the final  of Master Chef tonight.   It is years since I went to a restaurant that I would class as 'Fine Dining' - certainly not during the days when I was married to my dear farmer who would have considered it a complete waste of money.   But I do enjoy watching folk who devote every waking minute to preparing food to perfection.   I know Derek disagrees when maybe more than half the world is starving and I appreciate his point of view but to see the standard of perfection is something I enjoy.

Similarly with last night's Sewing Bee -   how anyone  could be clever enough to make a pair of trainers (and most of the contestants did) is beyond my imagination.

Tonight is the final of Master Chef.  I hope the youngest of the three wins - all are equally good but she is so young and so eager.   But good luck to all three - any one of them deserves the crown. 

** The District Nurse came and saw my heel problem.   She is coming back tomorrow with heel covers to wear in bed and for tonight has told me to raise my feet on a pillow.


 

 

 

  

10 comments:

Heather said...

I could never get iris to grow for me - we had the wrong type of soil for them. I managed a few of the early dwarf ones but love the large blousy ones with such gorgeous colours.
I like any programme in which we can see the expertise of those taking part but tend to avoid cookery ones as I am trying to keep my weight down!

Anonymous said...

So pleased the District Nurse came .
I thought the advice given here was much in keeping with hers. Lovely to have caring readers happy to try and help.
It's a pity when nearest and dearest think something pleasurable is a waste of time. Husband ( a well-travelled child) and I made sure our daughter had lovely dining experiences, and travels, as the 'waste of time and money' attitude prevailed when I grew up. On being invited to a cousin's interstate wedding many years ago, my father muttered to my Mum "Why would I want to go to Perth, I was there during the war!". I went with her. We had lovely time! -Pam, Sth Aust.

Will said...

Iris need the full sun as long as possible on the rhizome to give their best - this looks wrong and even experienced gardeners make this mistake. My father used to grow them on the surface of poor soil outside our house back door in full sun, and they were brilliant!

Chris said...

That was nice to have a home visit from the District nurse. I don't think that happens here.

Debby said...

I am so glad you saw the nurse so quickly.

Susan said...

I am no cook but I do love a beautifully prepared meal presented on china with crystal glasses. The rain showers made your plants very happy. Isn't it nice to see everything looking freshened after a rain. You will have to rescue the iris plants and remove all that mulch. I bet the mulch looks good everyplace else, except the iris bed.

Barbara Anne said...

I hope you have pretty dishes for your meals that remind you of past days of delight. I have inexpensive pressed glass footed beverage glasses in different sizes that my Grandma Hall got in detergent boxes back in the 1930s. I love using them as they connect me to Grandma.

Hope the heel cups will cushion your heels so they are no longer uncomfortable.

Big but gentle hugs!

Bonnie said...

I'm so happy to hear the alliums are coming into bud! I know you have been looking forward to them. It's good that the District Nurse came by and I hope the heel covers she brings will do the trick for you.

Librarian said...

Good to know the nurse is taking care of your heel problem.
Iris are out here in full force in many gardens now, and even along some fields and orchards. We are finally getting some rain, but the overall forecast for our week away (starting Sunday) is hike friendly.

Rachel Phillips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.