Saturday 14 May 2022

At Last

At last.   While most of the country seems to have been basking in Summery weather all week we have had strong winds off the North Sea blowing and it has not been all that warm.   Added to that, the winds have dried up the land and we are desperate for rain - as is Derek down in the Isle of Sheppey too.   But today there is just a very light breeze blowing and the sun is out and it is very warm - lovely day.

I have managed the longest walk for quite a while and several chats and dog-strokes on the way.   I had a chuckle before I left home.   Any walk I do with Priscilla is preceded with a trip to the loo - getting 'caught short' these days is not an option.   This morning - sitting on the loo I looked up at the window and there was the window cleaner with his brush, giving the glass a brisk wash.  Luckily it is frosted patterned glass but I would have thought he would at least have seen my outline but he happily carried on and then moved on to the next window.   When I opened the door to pay him he had left a printed bill as he does if folk are out.   I could see his van further down the street so I put the ten pounds in my pocket and stood by his van until he came back to it from the back of the bungalow.  I paid him and he expressed surprise saying he thought I was out.   I shall never know whether he really did think that or whether he was being diplomatic shall I?   Wasn't there a song George Formby used to sing about such things altough I rather think it was something a bit more exciting than seeing someone on the loo he used to sing about.

Well London will be heaving this week end won't it - Mens' Cup Final today and Women's tomorrow.   My father will be turning in his grave at the thought of Ladies playing football!   He and my brother used to go every year until one year (when he was in his sixties)  he was carried along by the crowd and his feet were not touching the ground.   He found it quite scary and he never went again.  All of us find it don't we?   Suddenly things we have always taken forgranted become beyond our capabilities and we have to draw in our horns a bit.   Believe me, when you reach my age and look back - my horns have been almost completely drawn in.   All one can do is do  what is possible and live on memories of what once was!   At least  I have plenty of those - and as my little motto on the wall says 'A Moment Enjoyed is never Wasted.'

I was hoping my Gardener and his assistant would be here today so that she could help me pot up my tubs while he mowed the lawns but no such luck.   So a few more days to go.   I am - with hard work - bringing the plants into the  garage each night.   If I left them out, that is when there would be a frost so NO - I must bring them into the garage every night.   Luckily my carer puts them out each morning.

See you tomorrow....

 

21 comments:

thelma said...

"A Moment Enjoyed is never Wasted" a very good motto, past memories can be brought up and cogitated over ;)

Susan said...

Having the warmth and sunshine makes for a very good day. Add a good walk and meeting up with friends and their dogs while walking is always pleasant. Your motto is outstanding, thank you for sharing. It's sunny and very warm here as well.

Librarian said...

Good to know you have had a longish walk with several chats and dog stroking along the way!
I know here is an old song called When I‘m Cleaning Windows, and I can imagine that those who work around people‘s houses in whatever capacity do indeed get to see a lot. In your case, it sounds like the cleander really thought you were out.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I believe women's football was quite popular during WWI, when all the young men were away fighting. It was later more or less written out of history.

Derek Faulkner said...

I watch a lot of women's football and especially love watching the England Womens rugby team, who are currently the best in the world.
Both sports are played to a high standard by the women and make for enjoyable viewing.

Glad you've finally had some of our warm and sunny weather.

Martina said...

The song is When I’m Cleaning Windows and of course it is on YouTube-isn’t almost everything?
A longish walk in good weather with several dog pats sounds like a perfect outing.

Rachel Phillips said...

I don't suppose he saw anything he hasn't seen before, but my guess is he didn't notice you anyway. Take care with bringing plants into the garage at night on your own.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thelma - the motto is written on a little board with a drawing of a little girl playing the piano (The piano is my instrument.) It was bought for me one year by my first bushand as a birthday card.

Barbara Anne said...

So glad to hear you had a pretty day and could take your walk with Priscilla and get to pet those dogs! Oh, and chat with their owners, of course. We've had a rainy day here.
The two signs in my sewing room are "One Day at a Time" and "First star to the right and straight on 'til morning" because you never know when you'll need directions.:)

Hugs!

Ellen D. said...

Glad you got out and about. I had a good long hike but it was a bit warmer than I expected. I was quite hot by the time I got back to my car. Still worth it to see and hear the birds flying about.
I am surprised you have to move your plants each night. Please be careful!

Anonymous said...

In my young single years, I was looking for a rental in the country. The real estate agent was showing me through a house about to be vacated by young men, and when we passed the toilet, a young man was sitting on the loo, door open. Like your window cleaner perhaps, I pretended not to see him, but he raised his beer in a greeting while I hurried on! Pam, Aust.

it's me said...

Would throwing a light cover over your plants protect them from the frost? We often do that in Louisiana when we have frosty spring nights.

Red said...

You make some great comments on age in the second last paragraph. If we're lucky we wind down gradually .I still have the pleasure of doing my own windows but my kids are telling me not to.

Hilde said...

We have had warm, sunny weather for the last two weeks, and today we are promised up to 28°C. I think this is too much, too early. The last four days should have been the "Ice saints", days with frost at night. We urgently need rain, maybe there will be some next week. The soil in my garden is as hard as concrete.
Hilde in Germany

Bonnie said...

A long walk including visits with neighbors and lovely dogs makes for a nice Saturday! There is something unnerving about suddenly seeing a face in the window even if they can't see you. When we had our windows replaced it seemed like every time I turned around there was a man in one window or another. It made me feel a bit strange in my own home!
'A Moment Enjoyed is never Wasted' is a wonderful motto that I shall remember!

Bovey Belle said...

Our next door neighbours have a Window Cleaning business, and I asked them a couple of weeks back if they could come and clean our windows - first time since moving here and the upstairs much in need of doing (I can only do downstairs outside and in). What a difference!

Having found probably the feeblest and slowest (and thus most expensive) gardener in these parts, I have told him I can't afford his rates (or his tardiness), and spent yesterday afternoon strimming the (very) long grass and 100s of spent primroses on the Bank. Hard work, but I was surprised - I can still do it. The overgrown paddocks are another matter and need a petrol brash strimmer and someone with more stamina than me!

Well done with your longer walks anyway. Hope you get more sunshine - it was very hot here yesterday.

Rachel Phillips said...

Ladies playing football show the skills of football in the purest form. If anybody arrived from another planet and wanted to understand football I would recommend they watch a ladies match, not men.

Tom Stephenson said...

We'll have to wait for the window cleaner to publish his memoirs.

Maudie said...

The weather sounds lovely. Sunshine somehow puts the world right.

Derek Faulkner said...

I agree totally with Rachel. I'm watching the ladies FA Cup Final at the moment and it's really good stuff.

J’nan said...

I would agree that the women’s game can be really beautiful to watch. Of course they are highly skilled, just as the men are, but they are often so graceful in their running and passing that it’s a joy to watch. But lethal when they need to be! As passionate as any of the men but generally with less falling around!