Wednesday 4 May 2022

Busy doing nothing

 Working the whole day  through .  Trying to find lots of things not to do.   That has been my day today.   I will try and tell you how it has been although it has been so odd I may get muddled.

I have been so exhausted that I slept all afternoon but I am pleased because I do wish to be awake for Master Chef and then for Sewing Bee tonight.

For a long time I have had a sore heel.   Since I broke my hip I have only been able to sleep on my back.   I sleep very well but it does mean that one place on my left heel stays in contact with the same place on the sheet all night.   For the last few nights it has woke me up in the middle of the night and I have been unable to get back to sleep.   The night before last things came to a head when I was conscious that the skin on my heel had broken and it was very painful.

My carer thought I should have the District Nurse so at 8.30 I started the process of booking one.   Each time I rang the number I was abruptly cut off.    Eventually I decided to ring my doctor's office.   They are naturally very busy in the mornings and I was a long time getting through.   The receptionist must have been new because she didn't know what to do and said she would ring me back.   She was a long time in doing so but when she did she told me exactly what to do.

 

 

 

I followed her instructions to the  letter but when I finally got back to the District Nurse's office and they looked me up in their records it was too long since I had seen her and I had to start again by ringing the doctor and getting a referral.  I was told that the doctor would ring me at six this evening and I described my heel and how difficult it would be for me to get into surgery (and they couldn't give me an appointment until 16th in any case).   The very nice doctor said she would deal with it and that the Nurse would call in the morning.   I said could it possibly be in the afternoon as I hadan appointment to get my hair cut in the morning.   She was very nice about it.

Breathing a sigh of relief I put the phone down and made myself a cup of tea.    The  phone rang - it was my Hairdrsser - she has Covid and was cancelling my appointment for tomorrow morning. I rang my taxi to cancel it for morning

 

I sat down with my cup of tea.  Mission accomplished.

22 comments:

Susan said...

You are very wise to get on top of it straight away. Some days are very muddled aren't they?

Rachel Phillips said...

The important thing is the nurse comes.

Julia said...

If you need to get your heel off the bed short term try rolling a towel and rest your ankles on it so your heels are not touching the sheet. Just make sure it's not under your calves which might restrict blood flow. Hope they order you some pressure relieving "troughs" to rest your feet in at night. Pressure sores are very painful - I used to get them on my ears (don't ask!) but a special little pillow has helped no end.

gz said...

We have started watching the Sewing Bee...love the high top trainers!
I think we may be off to bed soon though

Heather said...

What a frustrating day you have had but at least someone is going to attend to your heel. I do hope it will soon be feeling more comfortable, and that your hairdresser will be back to work before long. Is there someone else in the salon who could give you an appointment?

Ellen D. said...

Your doctor does a good job of taking care of you. Hope you get relief for your heel. You managed all of the muddling and will get good results I hope!

Anonymous said...

Such a reflection of the times, with Covid thrown in for good measure.
In times past one would simply ring for an appointment at the surgery and go that day or evening, usually to the family doctor., instead of these big business surgeries where its almost impossible to get in the same day.
It got me thinking though, how prevalent home hairdressing was done by friends and relatives in those days .Remember 'home perms'? Perhaps in was a working-class thing more prevalent where I grew up. -Pam, Aust.

The Weaver of Grass said...

gz I just would noit know where to start with those trasiners or even the jacket.

Debby said...

Pressure sores are something to get treated immediately. Your carer takes good care of you. Tell her your 'lot' said thanks!

Joanne Noragon said...

You can keep your heel up with another pillow, too. The trick is keeping it elevatd.

Susan said...

With your will and determination, you always get things well sorted. Friends here recommend elevating the heel and that seems pretty doable until the Nurse can see you. Covid is still circulating so we are all at potential risk. At least the illness is milder than it used to be. Take care!

Barbara Anne said...

When I was working as a nurse, many patients who had to sleep on their backs needed "heel cups" made of fleece (sheep) lining so the heels were cradled by the sheep fleece. That helped amazingly well.

Hope you get the home health nurse to access your heels and suggest what might help the most.

Big hugs!

Red said...

Sometimes life throws us many curves at the same time. I hope things get looked after quickly.

thelma said...

It looks as if your direct action and patience has won the day and help is on the way.

Daisy Debs said...

Oh you poor thing ! Hope they sort it out and you feel comfortable again very soon . 💐 x

Minigranny said...

Poor you - it's awful trying to sleep on your back, I remember having to do the same after my operation and one heel hurt but never to the point where the skin was broken. One thing I could suggest is sleeping with a pillow between your legs as you may sleep better on your side. Check with the nurse if that would be ok as it definitely improved it for me. Hope that you're soon more comfortable x

Tom Stephenson said...

Both H.I. and I have had split skin on our heels recently. Calendular ointment cured it very quickly.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you Tom - the nurse is coming later today. The trouble is I can't get out to a Health Shop but will see what she says.
Thanks to you all - lots of suggestions - nicee to know it is a common occurence. Nurse should hopefully sort it out.

The Weaver of Grass said...

***** Sorry about the double e - do know how to spell nice!

Derek Faulkner said...

I envy you for your success with getting attention from a doctor in the first day. Here it involves ringing the doctor's surgery almost constantly all morning, for two or three mornings on the trot, just to get somebody to answer the phone - and then be told that there are no appointments!

Rachel Phillips said...

The seriousness of bed sores requires urgent attention and possibly antibiotics. As others have said, there are special socks avaialble to care for the heel and prevent this type of bed sore. I am glad you were able to get the attention of the surgery and the visit of a nurse so quickly.

The Weaver of Grass said...

The nurse is coming back tomorrow with special heel protectors to wear in bed. Tonight she recommends I sleep with my feet on a pillow. Thanks for your ommiserations.