Friday 6 May 2022

Who's a big boy then?

 Yes indeed.   I just have to post this for any  one    who doesn't take The Times or any other newspaper the story has appeared in today.  In a small town near Dallas lives the World's Tallest Dog.   His name is Zeus - well it would have to be wouldn't it?   He is 3ft 5.18in (1 . 046metres)  tall  He drinks directly from the tap.   Apparently he is prone to 'short bursts of intense activity'   (rushing about the house for thirty seconds and flinging himself into his chair for a rest.)   He eats around 12 tins of dogfood a day.   (work that out for yourself on your Tesco order each week).

Now on to other happenings.   I have just had a much better walk round the block.   Still only a short one but I felt much better and more supple.  And I had three really good chats so on my way up to six a day again.   First a man caught me up and started to chat before he reached me.   People often do this - very kind of them as they don't make me jump when they pass.   As is often the case the subject was the weather and as we walked along together we agreed that the gardens really needed rain and I told him heavy rain was forecast in a couple of hours (it is very black, cloudy sky)).  At this point he said he had better hurry home to take his washing in!

Shortly after that I met two ladies I often meet with their Black Labrador bitch and again we talked dogs and the differences in behaviour between dogs and bitches.   I must say - since I retired I have always had dogs - Tess, my last and much lamented Border Terrier was my first ever bitch.   And yes, I agreed - bitches and dogs have totally different behaviour.

And so on to my last chat - with my next door but one neighbour who was cutting his privet hedge - short and well cared for.   We discussed gardening .  He has the most beautiful Red May tree in the front garden - variety Paul's  -Scarlet.   I remember my father having plants named after Paul - I must find out who he was.   My phone rang (he heard it ringing I didn't) so I said goodbye and made for home.  (it was the nursing service to say that MediQuip would deliver my heelcups on Monday...

Altogether a pleasant morning wouldn't you agree? Off I go now to eat my lunch left by my Carer --a delicious salad with hard boiled egg and pork pie.  I shall add potato salad, sweet beetroot and cole slaw. See you later as they say round here (which could mean anything between later today, tomorrow, next week or even Christmas.)

28 comments:

JayCee said...

That dog is taller than me!

Ellen D. said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Hope your weekend is pleasant also!

thelma said...

'See you later' has always puzzled me because actually most of the people who say it to you won't see you later, it has just crept into the language. Glad your walk was so much easier and the expected rain will soon dowse your garden.

Susan said...

Was the 5 ft. tall dog a Great Dane? Hamlet is a Great Dane and visits the park when I'm there. You've had a lovely day visiting with friends and neighbors. A good walk, making your feel even better is always excellent.

Barbara Anne said...

The dog is also taller than I am. Sigh!
We have a dear friend from South Africa. He'd say he'd do something "Just now" and we quickly learned "now" meant nothing as it might be any future time when he did the thing. We tried to explain to him how "now" had a meaning of immediately, not a nebulous sometime but we've all agreed to disagree and are still friends 35 years later.
Hoping for rain for your area and all of those dry gardens!

Hugs!

Librarian said...

Has the rain that was forecast for your area materialised within the couple of hours?
We only had a little more over night here, but all day today has been dry again and windy, so much of what did not get down into the soil has dried off again.
A dog over 5‘ tall - that sounds like a breeding experiment to me. I hope that dog is treated well and not just helping the owners to get their five minutes in the limelight.

Tom Stephenson said...

'Intense bouts of activity' would make me nervous with a dog that size. Don't leave it until Christmas Weave, but congratulations on being the first person to mention it in 2022.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Susan - Yes indeed the dog is a Great Dane - a dog noted for its gentle nature.

Heather said...

Your lunch sounds delicious. I remember seeing a woman going for a walk with a Great Dane on a lead. The dog was almost taller than she was.
Your day sounds good too. So glad that your mobility is improving. It makes such a difference to live in general, doesn't it?

Rachel Phillips said...

See you later is a common parting expression around here too and has been for decades. Nobody places any specific or literal meaning to it but it is generally accepted as being friendly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat. I was so amazed by the story of this dog’s height (in feet) that I had to reread. I noticed you wrote 1.046 meters so googled that in feet (too lazy to do the math myself!). That would equal 3ft 5.18inches which seems more likely. You got the 5 and 18 but maybe the 3ft was missing from the article? Or maybe 5ft 18” is correct and the meters incorrect?
(Have found the story online now in a CNN article. The 1.046 meters is correct and Zeus is a “mere” 3ft 5.18inches - still making him the world’s tallest dog currently :) Thanks for a fun story.
Lynda (in Massachusetts)

Debby said...

Every Great Dane that I have ever met turned out to be a timid animal. It always strikes me funny given the size of them.

Chris said...

Confused - aren't there only 12 inches in a foot? We measure in meters here.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sorry Chris -there should have been a point after the 1
Lynda - Thank you for the correction - I thought it was too big but I copied it from the article - I am sure you are correct. I will correct it in the morning on my blog.


TThank you all for your comments

Joanne Noragon said...

See you later is a pretty open ended sign off here, too.

Red said...

I wish you many more good days with your walk and people who visit.

angryparsnip said...

You live in a wonderful place. Enjoyed the three different chats on your walks.
Arizona needs some rain several wildfire, too many too soon in the season.

Cro Magnon said...

One of my neighbours has a red flowering May Tree. It is absolutely superb; I'm sure I had never noticed it before!

Bonnie said...

You've had a lovely day! That dog sounds more like a pony. I'm not sure I could afford to feed one that big!

Rachel Phillips said...

I left a comment which has presumably disappeared into Spam. It was about irises growing in Ukraine. They love irises and no doubt they will be flowering now in the villages amongst the debris.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh Rachel - what a sad image that gives us. You must be so sad having been there - I have a friend in that position too and he finds it hard at the mpment. He has friends there one of whom has died at Mariupol. Such a tragic image.

The Weaver of Grass said...

lynda - ****** You will see I have corrected it this morning. Thank you.

Rachel Phillips said...

I don't think I am any sadder than anybody else for having been there. I find it difficult to look at the images of the damage though.

Mary said...

I knew it would be a Great Dane! I like smaller dogs - though I don't have any dog, and never will at this point (too easy to get tripped up!) Just can't imagine having an animal that large running about the house!
You sound much better dear now you are getting out more again and seeing your neighbors - great news!
Enjoy your weekend - hope the sun shines and you get the garden watered by Mother Nature! We had some heavy, short rain showers last evening, along with thunder and lightning, and were under a tornado watch for several hours - thankfully didn't get one here but there was damaging one in central North Carolina. This Sat. morning is brilliant but a probability of more storms this afternoon.
Stay safe and be well Pat, hugs, Mary

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A friend of mine had a very large Great Dane, though I don't think we ever measured it. I can tell you though that when he jumped up and put his paws on my shoulders he looked me straight in the eye!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you all for reading and commenting. Isn't it good to be in constant contact with friends all over the world. How lucky we are. I can't tell you what a difference it makes to my life. Thank you dear friends.

The Feminine Energy said...

You make a big difference in our lives too, Weaver, by posting and being you. So thank you for that as well. ~Andrea xoxo

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you all - see you tomorrow.