Thursday 26 May 2022

The Wind

No, I am not speaking of my digestive system;  I am speaking of the weather,   For almost a fortnight now it has been windy and today it has been the very worst day - gale force and I have been totally unable to go out.   I did venture with Priscilla into the back garden in order to skirt the bungalow and water my tub on the far corner.   And to let you know just how windy it is the tub I watered had the most beautiful bright red Pelargonium just coming into bloom and the wind had snapped it off and I was just in time to see it rolling off across the lawn and down the road.   Verydisheartening.

But it made me get on with a job I have been going to do for ages.   When you get to my age, if you have any thought for those you will leave behind, you leave your affairs in good order.   I do this about every other year and have been going to do it ever since the end of the tax year.   I made a start this afternoon in my filing cabinet.   I tackled the insurances.   It took me a couple of hours but that is one file done and updated.   Only about another ten to go.  And I feel better for doing it.

If like me you are a Chelsea fan you will have enjoyed it this week from the comfort of your armchair.   Tomorrow is the last day.   I am not a fan of formal gardens and I love the informality and haphazard nature of my own garden.   But I do find it annoying now that I can't climb the steps to see what is out in my garden.   I have to wait until my gardener comes to ask him what's what and he doesn't always know the answer.   Until tomorrow friends.

16 comments:

Rae said...

Maybe you could ask one of your friends to take pictures with their phone to show you what's going on in the garden? Maybe every week or so to see the changes etc.? Ranee (MN) USA

Rachel Phillips said...

I wanted it to be about wind.

Barbara Anne said...

Hope you could put your beautiful bright red Pelargonium in water so you can continue to enjoy the bloom.
Take care on windy days! When I worked in the Emergency Room in a Memphis hospital, a woman was blown over by the wind right in front of the hospital. We had to take a stretcher outside, holding onto the sheets and mattress so we could bring her inside. My nursing cap blew off of my head and was last seen heading north past the Beefie King fast food building. The woman had cracked her hip but it wasn't a complete break so she was hospitalized but didn't need surgery.

Hugs!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - trust you!!!

Anonymous said...

Last night here on t.v. there was an interview with your actor Greg Davies who co-stars with Helena Bonham Carter in "The Cleaner' series. In one scene there had to be the effect of her breaking wind continuously while talking to him. Davies told the sound technician the said sound effects were over the top, and to tone down the endless tirade as it was all a bit exaggerated. Evidently the sound effect person said 'Nothing to do with me!!". Davies said Helena gave him permission to share the story. Pam, Aust.

Susan said...

It's been windy at my house too. The trees are swaying in the wind. Nothing has blown over so I'm happy. It's the tall pines that historically topple over occasionally. They have shallow roots. Nature is harsh. I'm sorry to hear the wind damaged your plant. Hopefully, the plant will regrow and flourish. Still it is a disappointing loss.

Derek Faulkner said...

When you watch Chelsea every evening the gardens start to become boring as the presenters come up with different reasons why they need to keep showing them. I have been fascinated as to why the Rachel de Tame woman needs to walk around wearing a floral tent each night.
Also agreed with Monty when he said that the Re-wilding Garden isn't really an example of a garden, who would have beavers in their garden - it's basically a mini nature reserve.

Bonnie said...

Be careful going out in that wind as it could blow you and Priscilla both over! We have had yet another week of cold rain. It's starting to look like a jungle here with everything growing so fast in the rain. I keep hoping for a dry day to get it all cut.

Jules said...

I'm getting fed up of the windy weather now, but at least it got my washing dry. X

thelma said...

The path along the canal here is bright with great masses of purple perennial geraniums and ladies mantle, interspersed with fruit bushes. Be careful in the wind, gusts can blow you over.

Rachel Phillips said...

Everytime I see you say "Chelsea" without its full title I think of football for a split second and then have to think again because you don't follow football.

Librarian said...

Rachel, I was thinking exactly the same at the mention of Chelsea!
Pat, with so many visitors you regularly have, someone surely can take pictures or even a short video tour of your garden and show you.
Very windy weather is forecast here for the weekend, too,

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - so did mmy carer!!
Thelma- -- the other thing I love which is everywhere is Red Valerian. Derek - I agree with most of what you say but would put in a word for Rachel de Thame. It is lovely to see her back . She has ben very ill and the way she has fought back is to be admired.


Thank you everyone. On the whole I do agree with Derek - I do think that im order to fill in the time they show things over and over sgain - but can't think of anything thy can do instead.,

Tasker Dunham said...

We think alike. When I saw the title, my first thought was about digestive systems. I don't like the weather too windy, either.

Tom Stephenson said...

I'm with Rachel on this one. You took any chance for me to make a schoolboy joke away in the very first line. I am currently working beneath a large ash tree with a huge dead branch overhanging me. A tree surgeon promised to remove it, but never showed up. Yesterday it was very windy. I am still here...

VC said...

For a moment I thought you were talking about football Pat!