Sunday 28 May 2023

Farewell shingles??

 Well 'they' appear to be on their way out.   I am certainly in less pain and discomfort and the angriness of the blotches and blisters is paling a bit.   I don't feel one hundred percent yet but I am improving.

My dear friends T and S called with a jar of the very freshest honey only taken from the hive during the week-end - I shall sample it at tea time on a couple of crumpets.   They have been wrestling with swarms so are pretty worn out.

I do wish I could photograph my garden for you - it is awash with bearded iris,  osteospermum , pansies, rock roses and aquelegia.   I get such pleasure from it even if I can no longer do it myself.

Although I live on a housing estate, the site immediately opposite my bungalow is owned by the company who built the estate - they are a local firm and I have always presumed they intend it for their retirement.   Folk who call on me often remark that they wish there was a bungalow there and how they wouldn't wish to live opposite 'a bit of waste land'.   I love it.   It is hilly and the mounds are at present covered in Cow Parsley which glows white when dusk is falling.   The dandelions have finished - just the 'clocks' left to spread next years plants on my lawn and garden - and the surrounding ones too.   Here and there saplings of ash trees throw up new 'stalks' (they are 'culled' every couple of years) and they are now in full leaf - and all along the bottom of the site is a mixture of hazels (catkins are now finished and they are in leaf), a lovely silver birch and hawthorne bushes at present in full flower.   The May blossom smells wonderful.  I could be in the middle of the countryside in the front and AM in the countryside at the back as over my dry stone wall are the fields. (have just looked out and the old ash tree in the field is now in full leaf).

I am still a bit frail - shingles is not a nice illness - but it doesn't stop all the greenery around me burgeoning.   The sun isn't out today and it is a bit chilly - so no sitting outside for an hour but as you will have seen from my post today, Spring has really sprung.

I no longer use my oven or my hob.  My hob has a 'hood' with a 'chimney' to outside.   Sparrows have built where it comes out into the house wall.   Mum and Dad can be seen from the garage as they busily pop in and out with feed.   Babies can be heard clearly from my kitchen as they sound to have their nest inside.   Mr Blackbird has a rival Mr Blackbird - one sits on the apex of my roof, another on the roof next door.   I can't say they sing in Unison - quite a lot of discord and rivalry - you can have too much of a good thing.

26 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

How good to hear that those awful shingles are on their way out and that you're feeling better!

Perhaps your carer can photograph your garden and post the photo(s) as it sounds lovely?

Big hugs!

JayCee said...

I am glad to read that your bout of shingles is receding. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must have been but you have your beautiful plants and wildlife to enjoy.

the veg artist said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Now I can tell you that I was hospitalized with shingles. I was about 20, fit and healthy, apart from what my doc thought was conjunctivitis. It just wouldn't improve, so he sent me to the small local hospital to see the visiting 'eye' man. He had me in hospital within the hour. I had shingles ON MY EYE. I've never heard of anyone else having this. I was in a private room for a week, with nurses administering drops into my eye every hour, on the hour, even through the night, to disperse the fluid from the blisters as they broke.
The second time I had it I just had a rash on my lower back and moderate pain. Once I knew what it was I was fine. I've been warned that having had it twice, it could well recur at times of stress. It can be a very nasty thing!

Susan said...

Thank goodness, you are feeling better. I've not had shingles but have friends that did and know about the pain and discomfort they can cause. Your views from the property sound very lovely. Having an open space across the street sounds glorious to me. The flora and fauna changing throughout the seasons must be good to observe. Your garden sounds terrific. The birds are nesting and to have a nest inside a stove pipe makes for good, up close viewing.

Tasker Dunham said...

You do take pictures - painted with words.
Pleased to hear you are on the mend. I'm glad I had the shingles jab a few months ago.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm glad to hear that shingles is being defeated! I remember my dad having it and being very poorly indeed. The countryside is looking grand at the moment.

Heather said...

So pleased to hear you are beginning to feel better, and more comfortable. Your garden must be a picture just now and the site opposite your bungalow sounds like a mini nature reserve. It must be full of wildlife. I hope the weather will warm up enough for you to sit out for a while to enjoy the bird song (racket?) and your lovely garden.

Ellen D. said...

Glad you are feeling better and able to enjoy the Spring treats blooming around you!

Damselfly said...

You've painted such a beautiful picture of your garden with your post, dear Weaver! And the site across the way from your bungalow sounds lovely covered with Cow Parsley and scattered saplings.
So glad to hear you're feeling better and the shingles are on the wane.

Bea said...

Your garden sounds lovely, Weave. Do feel better soon. x

busybusybeejay said...

Sounds like an ideal position .Wild and cultivated.Enjoy both.You are one amazing lady.A real role model for me.
Barbarax

Rachel Phillips said...

Photographs may be an obligatory belief on blogs. They are nothing more than an unnecessary cliché. Words can say it all and you say them well as do all good bloggers if only they believed in themselves. On the subject of shingles, I prefer to look on the bright side of life and, as your mother said, worse things happen at sea. My first bout of shingles was the worst and I got the medication, probably too late, with the GP at the time moaning at how much each pill was costing him. I doubt they did any good at the time although I took them. The second bout I kept to myself.

thelma said...

Good news that the shingles have been beaten and are on the way out. This is the best time of the year, as everything comes into leaf and flower, especially the cow parsley which scents the air beautifully.

Rachel Phillips said...

Unless the blackbirds are of militant intent and wishing to take industrial action against one another upon the instruction of their shop steward blackbird, unison does not need a capital U.

Debby said...

I am glad to hear that the shingles are on their way out. Do you get the shingles vaccine? Your garden sounds gorgeous.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, I wondered too, did you have the shingles vaccine? If no, you should consider it. Shingles can reoccur..
I like your narrative of your back garden. It is beautiful1

Red said...

You must be made of good stuff as you seem to have shaken shingles. You sound like you're in a good mood. I was not in a good mood when I had shingles.

Virginia said...

I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend. Every day a little better, but it'll take time. I wasn't allowed the shingles vaccine, as it's a 'live' vaccine' and I'm immune suppressed. It's such a nasty disease I hope I avoid it. Your wildlife surroundings are a lovely sounding mix of 'chosen by you, and chosen by Nature'. The empty section across from you sounds so much more interesting than a carefully manicured piece of public lawn would be.

Bob said...

My wife has had shingles TWICE and the last time was horrible. She is in that rare percentage of folks who have had the vaccine and still got it. So because I felt her pain, I feel yours, and I'm so very sorry, and glad you are on the mend. I have had the two-part shingles vaccine and simply hope and pray I will never get it.

Librarian said...

Good to know that you are on the mend. Your garden sounds lovely, and if I were living in your house, I would also enjoy the wasteland more than another house opposite.
As Tasker and Rachel say, no need for photos when you describe it all so well.
Honey on crumpets… yumm!!

gz said...

Relieved to hear of your recovery.
I love your word pictures

RITA LOEHR said...

What a lovely post! So happy you r a better. As my mother would say, you are tough old boots! Your view sounds perfect to me. I would enjoy it so much. Your garden makes your heart sing, as does mine. I never tire of seeing the beauty of nature. I enjoy your writing so much.

Karla said...

So glad to hear that your shingles are on the wane. You have handled some tough things with such alacrity. Your views, front and back, sound delightful! My Hubs and I dearly love our little yard, and are grateful that we both can still work it to keep it pretty.

Anonymous said...

It’s so nice to have you back. Glad you are feeling on the mend. GG

Melinda from Ontario said...

I'm delighted you're feeling somewhat better, Pat. I'm heading outside soon (with my coffee) to enjoy my garden. Your beautiful description of the goings on in your garden reminded me to take full advantage of mine while things are so pretty and the weather so fine.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for your oncern and your lovely replies.

Rachel - didn't notice the capital U but knowing male blackbirds (cocky in the extreme) feel if there was a Unison in bird land these two would probably be shop stewards.