Sunday 14 May 2023

Am I an anachronism?

Thank you Camilla Long in today's Sunday Times for making me feel I should be behaving as an 'old lady' should; for making me feel I am on a scrap heap of over-seventies who should 'put up and shut up'.

I had my Covid jab on Thursday and for the last couple of days I have felt just slightly 'under the weather'  and have not posted.   But having read her 'Comment' this morning I am in a state of 'mini fury' which (on the plus side) has made me feel much better physically (and has also made  feel that feeling out of sorts after my jab was also 'all in the mind').

I would like her to know that I might be 90 when you see me walking along the footpath with my walker but inside my head I am determied to stay up to date as much as I can in my thinking.   And if I see anything wearable that I fancy, then (funds permitting) I shall jolly well buy it.   And if she likes to see me as  'mutton dressed as lamb' then that is her personal choice - but please don't plaster it all over the newspaper.

Her headline (she is writing about The Coronation) is 'Charlie's looking gnarly') and goes on to suggest that the Prince of Wales should already be 'pushing for an abdication date'.  

Editors, I assume, read what is going into their newspaper - and if this is so then I include him in my complaint.

This is my view - and I' m sticking to it.   The post-Coronation photo shewing nothing but oldies I agree would have been 'better' with a few of the younger generation perhaps sitting on the steps.   The three children of the Prince and Princess of Wales would have livened it up a bit.(especially if the youngest had been pulling one of his fantastic faces - only the very young can do it and get away with it.)

Yes, I agree the Coronation service itself was longish but there is such a word as 'tradition' - it had been slimmed down a bit but I for one, and I can't surely be the only one, like to hear the words that have been traditionally passed down through the years of the late Queen's reign.   And surely most viewers - and those sitting though the whole thing in the Abbey- must have been moved by Vivat Regina and Zadok the Priest and the whole occasion.  To call it 'truly bizarre, once-in-a-liftime circus of swords and royal girdles' and to suggest that the most thrilling part of the whole thing was when Prince Harry 'the unacceptable wing of the family' strolled into church, to me suggests writing as so many journalists do these days for sensationalism.

Please don't knock a 75 year old King who is doing his best to up-date the Monarchy.  Who went up the Mall to chat to the crowds camping out, shaking hands, smiling, chatting at a time when he surely would have felt like putting his feet up and having a whisky - or whatever his favourite tipple is.   Yes us oldies do get tired, and HM looked more and more tired as the proceedings went on, but to suggest that he looked like a man 'who might pass out when he got up' is, I think, insulting and unnecessary.

I am not particularly Monarchist - at my age I don't really care - in fact I really don't know what kind of regime is 'best' - but looking at Trump as President or Macron with the protests over pension age (they should be so lucky compared with here in the UK) I can't think of an alternative. 

As every good teacher knows - one word of praise does more good to a pupil (and let's face it our new King is a pupil in his new job)than all the complaining about behaviour does.   Everyone needs to feel needed and spurred on by the attitude of others and none moreso than a 75 year old Monarch who has come late to a role which I am sure he would have been happier not to have, but to potter about in the garden he loves, to sit on the patio with the woman he loves and - like most 75 year olds- take it easy.

The Price of Wales got it right at Sunday night's concert (and with the kiss he gave his father when he pledged his allegiance)when he said 'Pa, we are all proud of you'.

 

37 comments:

Librarian said...

Pat, I have not read the article you mention, but from your comments, it sounds like something I would not agree with, either.
Your comparison with pupils doing much better under praise than under pressure is so true. It applies to all of us, no matter how old and now matter what kind of work we're doing. Even just hearing O.K. saying that he enjoys what I have cooked is motivating - I know I am not the best cook in the world, but I want to make our meals happy occasions, not dreaded for being criticised left, right and centre.

At least the article made you post - I am glad you are better.
Unfortunately, my Mum has self-tested COVID positive this morning.

Tom Stephenson said...

I hear the new covid jab makes most people feel ill for a few days. I agree with all you say and I am pleased that you use the traditional spelling for 'shew' as I do. People have told me off about it here and I point out the difference between 'sow' and 'sew'.

Anonymous said...

I am 48 and the media sometimes make me feel like an anachronism... especially as a woman : we are supposed to stay young and attractive for ever, aren't we ? Well, I tend to drop that kind of media.
I am French (Breton) too and not a monarchist but interested in history, tradition and religion, so I enjoyed the coronation very much. I don't think many people in France would be able to answer if asked who "our" king could be, given the opportunity !
Anyway thank you for this very interesting post !
Maguy

Rachel Phillips said...

She achieved what she set out to do with the newspaper column; no point in writing if it is to be dull as ditchwater. I agree with your thoughts on the subject and nothing changes, we are as young as we feel and I am sure Charles is ready for everything that is thrown at him, and looking forward to it.

the veg artist said...

Ms Long obviously belongs to that group of magical people who will never grow old. They think that being on-trend with clothes, make-up, a little cosmetic 'tweaking' will preserve them as they are now. Aches, pains, out and out illness, those are for other people. Good Luck with that dear!
Actually I think this partly stems from growing up in nuclear families, far from aging relatives which many of us grew up knowing well. We saw the aged, the bent, the rheumatic, and would have subconsciously absorbed the fact that aging comes to us all - if we are lucky.

Gene said...

Well said, Veg Artist.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Just glad I don't read the newspapers.

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm not sure why you get wound up about what people write in newspapers, that's their job to attract people's attention, otherwise, as Rachel suggests, the articles would be as dull as ditch water. I can just imagine her chuckling as she wrote it.
I have to agree about some of the Coronation, seeing Charlie in his shirt and wondering along holding an orb and a sword looking puzzled, put me in mind of a scene from Blackadder.
On a lighter note, we had an excellent evening on Friday at a Basingstoke theatre, being entertained by Ben Fogle talking about his career so far, it was amazingly inspirational.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Aha! Ms Long is obviously not as "down with the kids" as she thinks she is. "Gnarly" is often used, among those who are a good deal younger than me, to mean "excellent" or "fashionable", in much the same way as they use words like "wicked" or even "bad" to mean what's good. Well, she is 44, bless her!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom - interesting what you say about shew. My inspirational teacher always spelt it like that and when I remember I follow her example.
Maguy Welcome do call again.

Marcia LaRue said...

I hope you sent a copy of this blog to that writer! Let her know her writing hit a nerve with you!
She needs to know her audience is paying attention!
Happy Mother's Day, Pat! 🌷🌹🍰

Susan said...

Selling newspapers is the priority. This article, is going to divide people into agree and disagree. I suspect most are going to disagree with the content and see the writer's/editor's tactic for what it is. Newspapers are going out of business and this type of article justifies the fact.

Ellen D. said...

I always thought the expression was, "dull as dishwater" not ditch water. Of course, I grew up in the suburbs where we really did not have ditches!?! Maybe that is why?!
I like Charles and I am sure he will do his best. His mother set a great example of serving her public and he will know what to do.

Rachel Phillips said...

Shew is in common usage in spoken language in Norfolk.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting Rachel. It is the spelling I was taught in Grammar school by an inspirational english teacher.
Maguy Welcome Call again.

Derek Faulkner said...

Certainly not a word that I've ever heard used here in Kent but then it is a very old fashioned way of pronouncing/spelling show.

Anonymous said...

We were lucky just to have slightly sore arms for a couple days after our most recent Covid booster (also Monday). Glad you are feeling a bit better after yours. And yes, some of the coverage has been quite tiresome and reflects very poorly on the writer.

Very spring-on-the-edge-of-summer here today, our Columbine is blooming along with the hardy geraniums and Sweet William.

Ceci

Jean said...

Ageism is rife in the UK. From the way old people were treated during the pandemic to the way they are mistreated by the NHS and Social Services, of which I have experience during the last years of my father's life.
Civilised countries are allegedly judged by how they treat their old people and animals and we now fall short on both counts.

vic said...

It would be interesting to put her through all that rigamarole in those heavy, hot, and cumbersome clothes with all those people in person and on TV watching. I'd be willing to bet she would be looking quite a bit worse for wear as well.

Barbara Anne said...

Well said, Pat!!

Hugs!

RunNRose said...

This post made me smile broadly. I am 10 years younger than you, and have been the recipient of treatment that inferred that I was ready for the scrap heap! I love the fire you showed when you were reallly riled. . Still lots of volability there when we get stirred up enough, isn't there? You have every right to feel indignant. Your head can do circles around that journalist of half your age.
You are a bright spot in a frightfully dark world.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Jean I must say that I have experienced wonderful care both in hospital and in my home with the local doctors but I agree as one gets older one does tend to become invisible.
Ceci - My hardy geraniums - I have many different ones - are in full leaf but not a flower yet and my aquelegia are the same only one out.

Thanks everyone - we seem to all agree. I don't expect the writer will lose any sleep over it.

Marty said...

Hear, hear!! I couldn't agree more.

LouC said...

Bravo to you! I’m in that beloved over the hill age just like Charles but I was out gardening early in the 80 degree weather this morning. I do skip many of the political uproars not because I’m uninterested in topics but because coverage seems to aim more at sensationalism for short attention spans rather than educating and problem solving. I certainly can’t hold up our US political system on this side of the pond as an aspiration for anyone. As usual you’ve expressed yourself very thoughtfully, clearly and positively which is why I do so enjoy sharing your day. Thank you so much and keep up the good work!

Carol ge said...

Well said Pat. I met the King some years ago when he was Prince of Wales. A charming character. His age is not relevant. I thought the Coronation was excellent. Proud to be British. X

Anonymous said...

Enjoyable post and comments Pat. - Pam.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a nasty article to read. I wish the new king all the best.

Red said...

You are so right that those leaders in high places also need support to do their job well. As for the elderly? We know our value and the press shouldn't argue with me about it.

Cro Magnon said...

We too were quite shocked by her article. I think she was having a bad day!

Bettina Groh said...

Right on!! Sometimes it takes one of us "old ladies" the gumption to put an obnoxious youngster in her place!!

Jennyff said...

Now that there are so many things we shouldn’t say about each other surely age shaming must be one of them. We cannot change our age and while we can alter our appearance if so inclined most of us are not inclined to take away the signs of a long life and much laughter. I agree with all you say.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone - we seem to be all of one voice.

Jennifer said...

Even the King of England can't escape ageism! What a twit the article writer must be...how shallow and ridiculous! Growing old is a privilege denied to many.

Debby said...

I never quite understand what it is that makes the opinions of some of these writers carry more weight than yours. An opinion like that needs rebuked, and I'd love to see you do it. In a free society, everyone has a right to their opinions, even when they are 75. Even when they are 90. I have not read the article, but dismissing anyone based on the fact that they are looking gnarley and old is a form of bias, just as racism or sexism is. It is called ageism. She sounds as if she is trying to be relevant, as well as appealing to a certain population. She also sounds terribly unoriginal, just tapping in to unhappy anger and providing a mouthpiece for it. She'll probably be soundly beaten by a group of elderly folks hobbling along on their canes.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well said everyone.

Hilde said...

I have not read the article, but from what you write about it I would say it is just stupid. And the writer tries to show that she, of course, is far away from being and from getting old. Well, good luck with that!
In my opinion, the coronation was absolutely wonderful. What impressed me most was that so much was said about serving, helping and protecting. I am sure Charles III will be a great king. And we should not forget that the USA will most likely have to choose between two candidates for presidency who are both older than 75 years.
Hilde in Germany

Granny Sue said...

Hear hear! Well said, Weaver!