Wednesday 10 May 2023

This and that.

 A sad story to begin with   'My' baby blackbird, who seems to be the only nestling unless I have missed any others, is dead.   I walked the patio yesterday several times, slowly, looking at the garden and what was happening(what seem like dozens of self-sown aquelegia have shot up overnight).   There he lay on the patio - wing feathers already black and well -developed, body still that fluffy speckled yellow/brown.   There was not a mark on him and earlier in the day a bird hit my window - hard.   I hope that was what killed him - I don't like to think of him tormented by a  cat.  Mum and Dad don't seem concerned - but here's me trying to put human feelings into the mind of a bird-brain.

As to the garden, last year my gardeners had a policy at flowering time of pulling up any flowering aquelegia which didn't merit a place in the garden.   We let them flower and then pulled them up before they seeded.  We shall shortly see what this year's plants produce in the way of colour.   I doubt that we made a lot of difference.   My favourite one - one I bought from Claire Austin, is dark pink and bright  yellow but it doesn't seed freely and I know from experience that if left to their own devices they eventually revert to their 'chosen' colour - dark blue.   The plants at present have taken over one plot and quite a few other plants seem to have been crowded out.   But I guess they are still there and once the aquelegia have flowered and been pulled up they will be there waiting their turn.

There are still a few Union Jacks flapping in today's breeze - the last remnants of Coronation displays.  Interestingly our road, which is at the top of the estate, has - I understand - much more in the way of Patriotic Displays than the rest of the estate.   As we are all bungalows (inhabitants 65 to about 95) can we make a general assumption that it is the young who are disinterested in The Royal Family?

Tomorrow the Covid Jab.   Friends S and T are kindly taking me to the chemist in Hawes - who happily comes out - hypodermic syringe in hand - requests you open the car window  and put your arm -divested of any clothing- out, sticks in the needle and Bob's your Uncle'.   Then there is the quarter of an hour wait for any adverse reaction before we are free to go.

My cleaner, D, a lovely lady, was coming this afternoon and to that end I wobbled about in the sitting room with a damp cloth on my trolley, wiping the six pieces on the mantelshelf - all precious (not in monetary terms but to me) so I like to clean them myself.  (I would hate her to break one and feel guilty).   She has just rung to say she can't come until next week.  (sorry buddha, Spanish bull, cloisonne duck, naughty spirit (sorry US readers I have asked you before what he is called but have forgotten) and clock - but that's your wash for this month and you've had it a week early - no hard feelings.

I have just noticed, looking out of the window, that about a dozen allium buds on long stalks are waving in the breeze.   Something (field mice?) is eating the bulbs I fear because I put fifty in.   And I have a long diagonal line of fully fledged mushrooms marching across the lawn.   I daren't eat them because I don't know whether they are eatable or not (some years we had wonderful crops of field mushrooms at the farm - fresh from our early morning walk taking the cows back to pasture after milking we would fry them with eggs and bacon for breakfast. )  Nothing like a mushroom freshly picked from the field before a cow has had time to tread on it - or worse).

See you tomorrow post Covid jab.

16 comments:

Librarian said...

Now you have made me wanting scrambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms! Good job it‘s only one and a quarter hour until O.K. and I will go up to our hotel‘s main building and sit down for our evening meal at the restaurant.
Hopefully you will have no averse reaction to your jab. When my parents had their 3rd jab some time last year, they tool a taxi to their GP and he came out for them and did it through the car window, too. My Mum was so grateful for his kind gesture (not standard procedure) because getting my Dad out of the taxi and into the surgery was becoming more and more difficult.
Aquilegias are such pretty flowers if they are what I think they are (Akelei in German). Why do they need to be pulled up and can‘t just grow where they want?

the veg artist said...

Aquelegia is so prolific in my garden at the moment it could almost be termed a weed. Any pot that has been outside over the winter seems to be sprouting it. Luckily it is beautiful, just in the wrong place.
I think I've had mice nibbling seedlings in the greenhouse too, or maybe voles? Perhaps they had a cold winter? Still, it keeps us guessing and plotting!

Barbara Anne said...

Hope someone can tell you if the mushrooms in your front garden are the safe kind so your carer can sautee them for you or they're not safe and you'll know. Perhaps a phone call to the horticultural society would be where you could ask a knowledgeable person to come for tea and mushroom indentification?

Wishing you well after the jab tomorrow.

Hugs!

thelma said...

The thought of freshly picked mushrooms from the fields always sound so delicious, but then pick up a mushroom identification book and you are not so sure.

Anonymous said...

Is it Kokopelli? Best wishes on your Covid jab. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your life and thoughts with us. Jackie in Georgia USA

Debby said...

Oh that is sad news about your little bird. I would love to know more about mushrooms but I don't know that I would dare, even with a book in hand. I need to be asking questions.

Country Cottage said...

Hubby had his covid jab last week with no problems so hopefully you shall be ok. It's always sad to lose baby birds, looks like something has been in and destroyed my three duck eggs today.

Heather said...

It's a hazardous time for baby birds. We had blackbirds nesting in the conifers at the end of our garden, and every spring their alarm calls would mean that a cat, or more often magpies, would be raiding the nest. It was my cue to rush out clapping my hands loudly to shoo the offender off. I haven't tasted a field mushroom since childhood. Their flavour is wonderful. Good wishes for the Covid jab. Mine was a bit more uncomfortable this time, but after a couple of days it settled down.

Tasker Dunham said...

Our neighbour has stickers on her windows to make them more visible to birds, but I suspect they can't see them when flying up into the light.

Susan said...

I am sorry you lost your baby bird. Windows are a real hazard for the birds. I hope your Covid jab goes well and you have no adverse reaction. You are lucky to be able to drive-up, stay in the car and get a jab. It is our pharmacy technicians who are administering Covid shots inside their building. I rather like your drive-up system; it seems very convenient and eliminates the need to go inside where many people are passing through. Invasive plants seem to have a will of their own! As gardeners, they keep us busy as we attempt to tame their growth.

Ellen D. said...

I had my Covid booster on Monday and just have a bit of a sore arm. Not too bad. Hope yours went well also!

Cro Magnon said...

Last Autumn I gathered some Nasturtium seeds from a beautifully coloured plant. All have grown, and I await to see if the flowers come true to their previous colour.

Rachel Phillips said...

Life goes on.

Daisy Debs said...

I love Aquilegias 🦋 Now you rest up after that covid jab !💐

The Weaver of Grass said...

Jackie - it is indeed a Kokopeli - thank you!
Librarian - when we were children we used to call them dancing fairies. They are beautiful - but some are very weed-like with very small flowers. Their natural wild colour is blue. But they seed so freely that my gardener has to keep pulling up some of them as they take over and eventually kill other plants. I have some plants I love in my herbaceous border and at present I can't see how they are growing as they are covered by aquelegia foliage.

Donna said...

Oh! I'm SO sorry about your little black bird! I would be heartbroken.
hugs
Donna