Tuesday 9 May 2023

Dress

 Looking at the "important" ladies as they arrived at The Abbey on Saturday (the rest had been seated since 9am) two thoughts - could they stand up now and again to avoid ' numb bum' and how does one go all that time without needing a loo?) the cameras were firmly on them so that we could see what they were wearing.  They could have all gone to the same Fashion House (yes we're talking Fashion house not shop here).  Pastel blues, creams, pinks - not a floral print that I noticed anyway, matching shoes, hats and bags - the cumulative total spent must have run into thousands.   Large hats, small neat hats and I have a feeling that Madame Macron was possibly not wearing a hat at all - however I thought she won in the elegance stakes. (as French women usually do).

Large - and in some cases very large-hats obscuring the sneaky view everyone wanted of Harry, nobody stepped out of line with their dress.

It was easy  for men of course - they all had single breasted dark suits, all had a tie, well-polished expensive footwear - not at all memorable because nobody was looking at them - they got their kudos from what 'their' ladies were wearing.

And I speculated - had a man (however 'important') turned up in jeans (however expensive) and a really expensive shirt from a top fashion house, would there have been somebody in the doorway of The Abbey to turn him away as improperly dressed?  After all, we did later on see HM in his shirt didn't we?

It would have been good for the cameras to run up and down the lines of pews so that we could see what people were wearing - especially the men as so many were from countries where the men wear different dress.   We did get a glimpse of two smartly dressed Arab men in their splendid robes- which always look snow white. Their headwear too looked splendidly laundered.   But that's all - no uniforms - although I am sure there would have been some there (unless they were all too busy with the huge parade outside.)

It did strike me how, even if we don't intend to, we do strictly follow fashion rules don't we?  The young go mad - witness the turn out at the Saturday concert - plenty of variety there both on and off the stage.  Two of the ladies who sang had exquisite ball gowns - one black, one a deep green - very full skirted sweeping the ground- but scanty above the waist as I am sure any man would notice.  So scanty in fact that I became quite obsessed as they moved around with how on earth the fronts stayed up and whether or not we might see more than we should (in front of the king!)   How do they keep these backless - and nearly frontless as well - dresses anchored? - sticky tape springs to mind.

Then we have Marlene Schiappa -one time protegee of President Macron and now, aged 40 holding the social and solidarity portfolio in his government- posing on the front cover of Playboy magazine much to the horror of half of the people in France (I suspect we are speaking of the female half here).   As for the male half they were all dashing out to buy one of the extra 100,000 copies sold.

Marlene's reaction?   "Not only have I not lost the support of the population but I've gained it".   So you ladies among my blog readers - you now have a choice (say the Feminist Movement) to 'do what you like with your body'.

Well we have had our fill of bodies and what ladies choose to wear (when money is no object) when the men are paying because their 'standing' in part these days seems to rely on whoever is hanging on to their arm and what she is wearing.

Me?   I thoroughly enjoyed the whole week-end and now I am sitting here in my thermal vest and 2 sweaters, my obligatory elastic stockings and a handy shawl in case I feel chilly round the shoulders.   There is something quite comforting thinking that I don't ever go to any function where I think 'What am I going to wear?'

*my blog reading friends from IOM who have popped in to see me twice over the last fortnight - S took several photos of me with a view to changing the photo on my blog progile.  As soon as I work out how to Copy and Paste it into the right place it will appear.

23 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

Well first and foremost there was a dress code on the invitation so no excuse for anyone turning up in jeans. The code was more relaxed than those coronations of old, Charles being a bit more modern. As for the toilet I think many had been practicing holding on for weeks beforehand .

Tasker Dunham said...

I thought that Penny Mordaunt as sword-bearer etc. looked splendid in the part, especially bearing in mind that not too long ago her duties would have been performed by Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Derek Faulkner said...

Yep, for me Penny Mordaunt was the start turn, dressed superbly and carried out her duties just as superbly. I see great honours coming her way.
What a great piece of subtle royal seating as well, so that Princess Anne's hat blocked Harry's view.

Heather said...

I gave up being fashionable years ago and, looking at the so-called fashion pages of some magazines I rarely see anything suitable or desirable. However, I enjoy seeing photos of smartly dressed women without wishing to be one of them. There are still a few benefits to being old!

Mary said...

Would enjoy seeing an updated photo of you dear Pat.
The clothes worn at the Coronation were mostly beautiful......but it was, as always, the military uniforms and ceremonial robes which made it an event of stunning historical pageantry.
Mary -

Marcia LaRue said...

There are YouTube videos you can watch to see the fashion parade. The Princess from Tonga wore a pink, ruffled floral gown.
The red feather in Princess Anne's hat hardly obscured Harry's face ... he was quite visible!

gz said...

I saw a couple of shots of the proceedings....a lady in a stunningly beautiful green dress..and Harry having a friendly chat with his aunt Anne.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - your comment made me smile. The idea that Practice makes perfect doesn't apply when you are 90. Don't know whether there were any 90 year olds there.

Sadly can't recall what she was wearing but agree her performance was brilliant.Tasker and Derek

Barbara Anne said...

I thought it was splendid, start to finish, and that the attendees were dressed perfectly. Pomp, circumstance, and magic, as only you fine UK folks can do.

As you said, Pat, I prefer dressing for comfort and warmth, too.

Hugs!

Ellen D. said...

I don't own a dress anymore so it's lucky I don't have to go anywhere so fancy! :)

Susan said...

The formal dress at the Coronation was outstanding. Men in uniforms are always handsome. Women were styled to perfection. Online you can see outfits and designer names if you are interested in knowing more about a particular outfit. It seems Royal women have their favorite designers.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm very glad I don't need to dress up all the time - I feel sorry for them despite the wealth. Rather be poor and untidy!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I suppose I save a great deal of time by never having to dress up - unfortunately I then have to waste that time by going to the loo more often! It's a good job they didn't ask me to sit there all that time; I'd have been pulling even funnier faces than Prince Louis.

Rachel Phillips said...

The Sikh peer who handed over the glove was 90. You may have noticed Welby helped him as he stepped back by steadying him slightly with a hand held out which I thought at the time was a nice gesture. There were several examples like this of helping each other in the service.

Rachel Phillips said...

Penny Mordaunt wore a teal blue cape dress with embroidered ferns and matching pill box hat.

Debby said...

I did find myself watching little Charlotte and Louis and thinking that the clothes on their backs were probably more expensive than anything that I've ever worn.

I don't get dressed up any more either, and I'm pleased that I will never wear heels again. I have never worn a dress hat in my life. No wonder I was not invited to the coronation.

hart said...

I enjoyed your witty take on the coronation fashions.

Cro Magnon said...

I suspect that looking at the outfits was more popular with the female viewers than with the males. I watched with 2 women, and it was almost their only topic of conversation. They mostly approved!

Frances said...

There was an article in the newspaper by an elderly lady who had been at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth, and she mentioned that there were many more loos than the last time! Even so, it must have been difficult to get out of those close packed seats to go and visit them!

Librarian said...

I enjoy dressing up for special days like when I am invited to a wedding (especially if the invitation includes the party and there will be dancing). I also like putting an outfit together for going to the theatre or opera, or for an important work-related appointment. But I am glad I do not have to do this every day but can wear smart casual at the office and more casual than smart when working from home. Suitable clothes according to what I intend to do matter to me - I would not wear my hiking boots to a wedding or dance dress and shoes for a hike, and of course don‘t want to be uncomfortably hot or cold.

Tom Stephenson said...

I was impressed by how many medals were worn. The royals must spend half their lives pinning them on.

Daisy Debs said...

Dresses with peculiar shoulder-plate thingys seem to be "in" at the moment . 💐x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you to everyone - I did enjoy reading your comments - they added to my enjoyment of the occasion.