Thursday 11 May 2023

A Day Out.

Today was the day for my Covid booster and the nearest one I could get was in Hawes at the Pharmacy.   Friends S and T took me.  Parking was difficult as it always is unless one can park and walk down countless steps to the Main Street.

The highlight for me was the journey with so much greenery out - all the hedges full of hawthorne leaves (no May blossom yet), almost every tree (except the Ash, always tardy) in full leaf.   Most fields had lambs.   The weather was - shall we say - interesting.    We started off in sunlight but as we got underway enormous, inky-black clouds obscured any sign of the sun and huge drops of rain began to fall - a real thunder shower without the thunder.   So a dramatic journey for my first sally into Wensleydale since last October.

We eventually found a parking space near to the Pharmacy and the Pharmacist - as he did the last two doses - came out, hypodermic in hand, I stuck my arm out of T's car window and he did the job.   I have to say - as with the previous two - I never felt the  needle at all - he is brilliant at his job. 

As a thank you for taking me I wanted to take them out to lunch.   They kept the destination a secret.  It was lovely.   The village of Carperby in Wensleydale hold an open lunch once a month and we went to that as S and T have friends who are involved.   Was it good?   All I can say is Home cooked Shepherds' Pie with carrots and cabbage, followed by Rhubarb Crumble certainly fitted my brief perfectly - it was all delicious.  The conversation was lively and I met a retired farmer who had known my farmer well.

T kindly removed the poor dead baby blackbird from the patio.   RIP little one - such a short life in this beautiful part of the world.

Now I am home - a cup of tea, the mind games and an e mail to The Times now.   I heard from them that they had sorted out my subscription problem and had posted my subscription booklet - I had the letter a week ago but so far no booklet is forthcoming.

I don't think we have had the downpour here -  everywhere seems dry.

 

 

19 comments:

JayCee said...

A good day out, even the jab was painless.
Our hawthorn is a mass of frothy white blossom today. I may try to get a photo to post on my blog.

Rachel Phillips said...

I hope you sleep well tonight. It must have been nice to go out for a ride.

Derek Faulkner said...

An old folklore forecast for the summer ahead goes - "oak in leaf,before the ash, we're in for a splash - ash before the oak, we're in for a soak." Seeing as your ash is tardy seems you might be in for a relatively dry summer.
Loads of May blossom out down here and a very warm and sunny day, with at last, no rain!

Anonymous said...

Of there's an occasion when you can't go to the pharmacy for your jab and you're housebound you could ask your GP surgery to refer you to the District Nurses for one to come to your house to give you the jab. They go out to the nursing homes to jab the residents too.

Susan said...

You have had a lovely day. Driving through the countryside and seeing all the new Spring growth sounds very enjoyable. Your meal with friends worked out very well too. It is always nice to stop for a meal. I am very impressed with the drive-thru jab. It all seems very efficient and easy.

Librarian said...

It all sounds very nice! Mmmh for the Shepherd‘s Pie - it‘s been far too long since I have eaten that.
Much as I enjoy walking in beautiful countryside, a nice drive (not too fast) comes a close second.

Heather said...

It's been a beautiful day here and I have felt almost energetic and caught up with some housework. Your drive through the Dales must have been so beautiful and lunch sounds delicious. I hope your arm will not be uncomfortable for you after the Covid jab.

Anonymous said...

Great to read you can get out and about with the help of your friends Weave. A change of scenery is good. Keep well. - Pam.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a lovely day out and a great lunch.

Debby said...

Well, for a trip into town to get a shot, this sounds like an awfully happy adventure! It must have been a joy to sit and reminisce with the old friend of your farmer.

Red said...

It's a treat to get out even if it's for a covid shot.

Cro Magnon said...

What a wonderful Pharmacist you have. That's what I call 'service'!

Tom Stephenson said...

Baby blackbirds , once fledged, often seem to just sit on the ground and look at things without moving. They don't seem to have an innate fear of cats and I have often seen confused cats walk right up to them.

Melinda from Ontario said...

What a lovely day out. I adore being driven around as well.
I must make a rhubarb crumble soon. My rhubarb is coming along in the garden. Crumbles are a favourite in this house.

Ellen D. said...

Glad you had a happy adventure!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Black thorn still out here but no sign of Hawthorne blossom yet. I don't think there are many oaks in the Dale so hard to way whether ash or oak is out first.

Thanks everyone.

Terra said...

I always enjoy hearing about your day and any adventures that may come along. The lunch venue with your friends sounds perfect.

Anonymous said...

My mother has a disabled parking sticker that allows me to park in designated spots close to shops. Do you have similar parking in the UK?

Debby said...

Just stopped to check for a post. I hope the covid shot has not knocked you down.