Tuesday 16 May 2023

Keep the mind going!

Thelma mentions this on her post today and so I thought I would take the topic as my 'thought for today'.

I am very much a creature of habit and since becoming more or less housebound I have made myself be so even more because once one could spend all day sitting in your chair doing next to nothing (I live alone but have Carers) it is easy to fall into the trap and thus (in my mind) sink lower and lower into a state of atrophy.

I know there are many folk who when they retire think how good it is to no longer have a strict routine - everyone chooses their own path through retirement- for some reason Robert Frost's Road not Taken  springs to mind here- but I have to have routine in my life, and neatness, and tidiness and also a clear mental path as to where I am going.   And since my horrible attack last October my whole drug regime has been changed (and has resulted in a much clearer mind as all my family and friends agree) and mentally I feel 'ready to go' whereas before there was always a bit of fog on the road ahead.

So here is how my day goes:

The Times usually arrives just as my morning Carer goes (she is with me 7am to 8am) - so it's News Headlines on Breakfast TV and then read the Times.   Then I turn to Times 2 and the Mind Games which take me about an hour and a half.   Some days I sail through them with no trouble - some days the less said about them the better. (today was a good day) Then it is coffee and a snack (packet of Crisps; 2 finger Kit-Kat, toasted crumpet - or anything I fancy - please note 1 of these only not all of them!)

Then it is Blogtime. Read your posts and comment when I can - Si loved your cricket post today and the photographs which suggest a perfect English Spring day but your site would not allow me to comment for some reason.  Then read what you said about my yesterday's post and leave a reply to some.   And by this time all the day's input into my brain usually ignites my own thoughts for the day.

After lunch there is my walk along my patio looking at  what's out, pulling out the odd weed I can reach, watching any bird life *have yet to see a Robin this year* - and then it is out along the footpath (using my neighbour's drive as it is not as steep as mine)with Priscilla - how far depends on state of legs, knees and ankles, strength of the wind and whether there is a suggestion of rain.

Then a nice long afternoon and evening stretches out in front of me.   Almost every day one or other of my friends calls for a chat and a cuppa (plus 2finger Kit Kat - almost my addiction along with Crisps)  or my gardener calls to mow and weed, or the Lifeline lady calls in to check my buzzer is in working order, or - if I manage to sit in the front garden some dog walker passes and we have a short doggy session.   Either side neighbour pops round or J or E who live further down the road.

My evening carer comes at either 5 or 7 and helps me get ready for bed. There's plenty to do - wash up the few tea and visitor cups and saucers, watch the odd TV (couldn't answer a single question on last night's University Challenge (getting near the end of Jeremy Paxman's reign sadly), read whatever I have got on the go, learn a bit of poetry (a recent addition to my mind-training regime) - at the moment it is Robert Herrick's 'Gather ye Rosebuds' and by golly the Feminist movement would shoot him down in flames these days) and that's it - bedtime.   All tablets which reside in a weekly 'tower' pot which is a great help and is one of my Sarurday jobs, have been taken - switch off the bedside light and hope that sleep creeps up fairly quickly and I have sweet dreams.

19 comments:

Melinda from Ontario said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your daily routine. I have a morning routine as well, but my afternoons tend to be loosey-goosey. I'm now trying to create a daily "to do" list for the afternoons so the day doesn't slip away from me.

Derek Faulkner said...

After a lifetime of routines (going to work, coming home, having dinner, washing the car and mowing the lawn at weekends, etc etc) I think most of us retirees still retain daily routines, I know I do and I don't like the unexpected that might disrupt them.

Ellen D. said...

Your schedule sounds similar to mine. I worry sometimes that I am not busy enough but then can't bother to get busier! :)

Anonymous said...

How interesting to read about your days, Pat, and I applaud the richness of your life with friends, carers, flowers, and books! Oh, and Kit-Kats for added joy!!

Due to annoying lupus fatigue, I spent lots of time reading with tasks done when I can but then it's back to sitting.

Hugs!

Barbara Anne said...

Pat, the comment blinked and my name disappeared. I wrote the "How interesting to read ..." comment.
Barbara Anne

Rachel Phillips said...

Sounds like you're on a trip. I like a routine, morning, noon and night.

Librarian said...

I have said it before and will probably keep saying it - you are an example for all of us who wish to age content and with dignity.
My Dad was the opposite of you. His inactivity and lack of motivation to do anything (admittedly coupled with dementia creeping up on him over the last few years) contributed to his illness and, ultimately, death. All his life, he had not been a fighter but an endurer. That may have served him well in some situations, but he relied too heavily on my Mum (a true fighter!) and in the end gave himself up completely.
I am determined to be more like you when (and if) I reach your age!

Yellow Shoes said...

I used to answer about 14 of the University Challenge questions.
last night I managed one!

Susan said...

You have an excellent routine and it is serving you very well. Aging in place can be the ideal and you are clearly an outstanding example of doing so, your way. My late uncle did the same quite happily and he was also an avid gardener and keen bird watcher. Books, maps and world news were also of great interest.

Bea said...

Keeping a routine is key for me to stay mentally buoyant, if that makes sense. I'm still working, but have had bouts with joblessness. It was easy for me to slip into lethargy. Structure helps shape the day. x

Brenda said...

I read few blogs and respond to fewer. I like yours...I do not like those that we used to call Negative Nellies...whew...so depressing...I just avoid them. I have a routine...always have. Still use a planner and love it. My children thank me for eating the way I do, getting my steps, keeping my brain going...living longer than those in my family ever have. You are to be admired.

Teresa said...

Your lovely life now is the reward for a busy life well lived

Heather said...

That sounds like quite a full day. So pleased your new medication has been helpful.
I do my best to keep active in brain and limb also, by taking a short walk to the paper shop each morning after breakfast, and my reward is sitting with the puzzle pages on my return. An easy crossword plus a cryptic one and a couple of 'wordy' ones. After that it's housework, knitting, reading, cooking or anything else that needs my attention. 6pm is time for Eggheads which I love, and find I can answer more questions now than when I started watching some time ago. I'm no good at all on sport or science. Life is not too bad, is it?

Red said...

I had noticed that your writing was much better lately. Your posts have been longer and more forceful. So keep that routine going as it's beneficial.

Anonymous said...

Admirable Pat!
I have a weekly retirement routine, rather than daily - early-week grandchild minding, husband-carer, mid-week fitness class and social activities and at the end of the week/weekends, my elderly mother and mother-on-law outings/visits. The health and vulnerability of these family members in such a wide age range, means any daily routine can be easily disrupted.
I prefer the simplicity of reading, or watching t.v. these days, rather than the art and gardening activities I once enjoyed, and the fitness class twice a week is really more for the wonderful support and friendship, as I don't need the work-out!
Keep up the good work Pat - you are a great role-model. There is much to learn from those 80+, and how they meet life's challenges. - Pam.

Victoria said...

Some people are just programmed from the start to be neat, orderly, and prone to routine. Others though just can't take regimentation even if it is of their own making. I really dislike having a schedule for getting things done and always like to feel that I have options to vary my days. I do have a morning routine though: get up, have coffee, read the paper, and check my email to see if anything there needs my attention. This usually takes me up to about 9:30 or 10:00. I generally try to make out a list of 5 or 6 things that I'd like to get done the next day so starting with that list I pick the one that sounds the most interesting or is most in need of doing and go from there. Some days I get all of them done, but often get sidetracked and only manage one or two but substitute others that come to mind. Things even out over time and what really needs to happen usually does. And if those things don't happen well, the sun will still rise in the east and the earth will continue spinning.

I'm glad to hear that your new meds are making things clearer for you. In the long run it's worth all the futzing around getting the appropriate dosage.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather - life is not too bad at all! Agree about sport and science questions and would add (doesn't usually apply with eggheads but does with many other quizzes) - I could never go on a programme as those sections would always let me down. We'll keep going both of us!!

Yellow shoes - I think the questions get harder in the run up to the final. I shall be sorry to see Jeremy Paxman go but he has done well to soldier on with Parkinsons hasn't he?
Thanks everyone - you are my inspration to keep going.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather - what I wanted to add but obviously didn't until I read it through, was anything to do with pop music.

Terra said...

Being a retired senior myself I enjoyed reading about your routine. I like that you give yourself a few treats, so do I. Lindt chocolate truffles are a favorite. I am glad your new meds are a big improvement.