Monday 1 May 2023

May Day!

Or on this particular May Day I can't help almost thinking of it as M'aide (sorry but no 'acute' on my keyboard).   We really have had a couple of hard years haven't we - the Pandemic, which really did wreak havoc in every country in the world (even if some of those countries refused to admit it) has been pretty awful and is still lurking waiting to strike when it gets a chance.   I am still waiting for my top-up jab but hopefully it won't be too long).   There are so many bugs going around here - sore throats, colds, runny noses, just feeling 'off-colour. ' Friend T was not well last week -nothing specific but just feeling under the weather and not helped by the miserable dull weather we have had up here.  I hear he has gritted his teeth and carried on - sheds for men should be compulsory; they are such wonderful places in which to 'hide' and gently tinker about with bits of wood.  He also has his beloved (elderly) chickens which if they had belonged to me my farmer would have humanely despatched and replaced with younger versions, only telling me after the deed was done.   In addition there are his equally beloved bees - at this time of the year buzzing off for the gorse and any rape flowers which happen to be out. (I read recently that although dandelions are ubiquitous here on every verge and every grass field not visited by a farmer with means of keeping them at bay, have really little or nothing for the bees except the attraction of their colour).  I heard yesterday that thank goodness he is more or less back to normal.

And to pandemic add cost of living crisis, striking millions for extra pay (mostly well deserved especially when for example nurses (thousands of vacancies - few applicants) have many of them to go to food banks in order to make ends meet.

And then there is Climate Change - always on the Agenda and I fully expect it to make its case known again this Summer with forest fires, melting glaciers, searing heat waves and a host of other things it might throw at us.

I won't go on - too depressing, especially on a Bank Holiday.   Three in one month this May - today May Day, next Monday as a celebration of Saturday's Coronation and then Spring Bank Holiday at the end of the month.

Perhaps this is the 'beginning of the end of doom and gloom' and a month to herald in a return to normality - although I am sure this thought will not occur to the people of Ukraine or now indeed Sudan.

Power and Money - two words which have a lot to answer for. don't you agree?

16 comments:

Chris said...

Oh I do love the dandelions. Lovely bright flowers. Food for the insects. Food for me and when you want to get rid of them all you need is a small tea spoon of salt.

Derek Faulkner said...

I had my Covid Booster last week. That's six that I've had since Covid started and not one at my GP surgery, they've never ever rung me in all that time, I wonder if GP's work any more! Luckily we have a pharmacy a few miles away and it's easy to book a jab there.
Huge fields of rape in full flower round here, much earlier than previous years. They appear to be growing a shorter stemmed variety now so that the plants concentrate on flowers and seeds rather than growing tall stems that are not needed.

Susan said...

May is usually warmer with less rain and more sunshine. It is hard with Covid always lurking. At least the vaccination is somewhat preventative. I hope you get your booster soon. I got a multi-variant booster and was told there will likely be another booster in the upcoming Fall.

Anonymous said...

I had my 6th covid jab this week, the second variant one, and will continue getting them as I have not had covid as yet.. I have not been sick at all in three years so why change anything. I hope you are able to keep up with yours, Weave. GG

Ellen D. said...

Happy May Day to you, Pat! Hope May brings us lots of lovely days and beautiful blooms!

Tasker Dunham said...

May has started with good weather here. Have cut back the lawn around the path, always a demanding job.

Barbara Anne said...

I suggest that 'greed' be added to your list of words that have a lot to answer for.

If I have the energy, I need to do a lot of weeding. Of course, I'd rather be sewing or reading instead! Am off to the library this afternoon and that's always a delight.

Hugs!

Rachel Phillips said...

Power and money cannot be judged alone as the cause of the gloom and doom described in your post. I could write you an essay on this that you may not like but power and money alone do not cause gloom and doom.

Granny Sue said...

Very cold here too for the time of year, blustery, cloudy, intermittent rain, and in the higher elevations they expect up to 8" of snow tonight!
Power and money, and to that I would add love, all have a lot to answer for indeed. I add love because of all the terrible crimes committed in its name, or because of its loss. The struggles for power and money, however, certainly have caused and continue to cause most of this poor world's woes.

Daisy Debs said...

💐🌞 x

Heather said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your final sentence, and might add greed.
A better day down here weatherwise, at least it was a bit warmer but still overcast until afternoon when the clouds broke up.
We are having a communal tea party, in advance of the Coronation, on Wednesday though waiting to see if it will be held indoors or in the garden? Anyone want to take bets?!!

Debby said...

I remember as a child, hanging little bouquets of flowers on the neighbor's doorknobs. No one does that anymore, I guess.

Today it snowed here.

I agree with your closing sentiments.

Cro Magnon said...

I asked one of my grandsons yesterday if he will be back at school today. He replied 'No', they're on strike again. Then we all had a good laugh about it being a school without any teachers. When I was teaching I would NEVER have gone on strike.

For your acute accent try alt gr + e.

thelma said...

Teacher strikes break my grand daughter's 100% attendance at college, much to her disgust. It is a funny old world we live in.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro - my sentiments really although I do believe in the right to strike It made me think of other years gone by when I was teaching - three Bank Holiday Mondays in a month and so near to GCSE's.That would have meant three double periods of English missed for my pupils so near to sitting exams which mapped out their future. After I retired I understand at some point there was a strike and the Head refused but the rest of the (large) staff went on strike. From what I heard they 'sent him to Coventry' - not sure I could have coped with that.

Thanks everyone for caling.

Rachel Phillips said...

In the build up to GCSE's in May and exams already started mostly students will be revising, probably at home and not required in school except on exam days, and it will be too late by then to learn anything in double periods.