Saturday 29 April 2023

Lovely surprise.

 This morning brought such a pleasant surprise.   My carer had been and gone and I had just sat down with a coffee - and with the whole day stretching out in front of me - when the phone rang.   It was S -from the Isle of Man - saying they were staying about a mile from my bungalow and could they pop in for a cuppa.   Could they???   Of course they could - please,

Half an hour later S and her husband arrived with lovely gifts - a large piece of fruit cake and joy of joys - a jar of home-made lemon cheese.   She read about my mother making it and how much I loved it.  If you have never ever had home-made do try it - the taste bears no relation to that bought in a jar. And what is more S had made it in a few short minutes in the microwave. (My mother made it in a double boiler and it took a long time.   Oh the joys of the  microwave).

We had a lovely chat for a couple of hours,Then

Then a quick tour of my garden (like so often the tulips have almost finished and there is a bit of a lull in colour until the early Summer plants start doing their thing.)

Far too soon it was time for them to depart but thank you S and husband (sorry forget your name - don't think it was mentioned).   You gave me a couple of hours of your time and it gave me a lot of pleasure.

I am off now to find your e mail address (I hope) so that I can send you the information you requested and I forgot to give you. Then it is out with the bread and butter and that jar in the fridge and guess what I am having for tea!

Sue**  Just thought - rather silly to put info in an e mail but if you care to ring me I will give you the number over the phone. x

27 comments:

Granny Sue said...

Guests bearing welcome gifts! What a pleasure indeed. I wonder, is lemon cheese the same as lemon curd?

I too am having a lull in color, between the Tulips and the iris. A few Columbine are likening up a few corners, but that's about all right now.

Granny Sue said...

Brightening, not likening! Silly autocorrect.

Derek Faulkner said...

As I said in my previous comments, you need to plan your bulbs so that you get the maximum length of flowering. Some of my tulips will still be flowering into May.

Rachel Phillips said...

Glad you are getting on well with your phone. It is nice to have a phone call and a visitor.

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful surprise to enrich your day: friends bearing yummy gifts and their good company. Just perfect!

I've never heard of lemon cheese so would be interested in Sue's microwave recipe for it.

Hugs!

angryparsnip said...

Now I have to look up what Lemon Cheese is
I have missed so many blog friends will try to catch up with all the news

woofs from the square ones

Rachel Phillips said...

Lemon cheese is lemon curd only made a little bit posher.

Debby said...

What a wonderful surprise!

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, a very popular supplier of bulbs is a company called Farmer Gracey, try their catalogue this autumn.

Heather said...

What a lovely surprise, and with lemon cheese too! I could almost eat it with a spoon, it is so delicious.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a lovely surprise to brighten a day.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day.
I shall be making lemon curd in the microwave now, having Googled it after reading your post. Very easy to do.
Our large back yard lemon tree is very productive at the moment.
Evidently Mexico is the country where the population consumes the most lemons, a fact I also learnt in my search. - Pam, Aust.

Red said...

The Micro Manager made lemon spread this week. You're right there's nothing like home made lemon for that good tangy flavor.

Cro Magnon said...

I shall pass-on this info about Lemon Curd in the Microwave; Lady M loves it, but usually buys the jars.

gz said...

Lovely to have visitors..gifts or not!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks Derek for the advice. i do have tulips flowering for succession throughout late March through to May. The trouble with having daffs for a long time is that the dying leaves do interfere with the look of the early flowering perennials I find.

Barbara Anne - Google it and you will find the recipe for doing it in the microwave


Thanks everyne.

thelma said...

I watched the other day someone layering 'lasagne' bulbs in a large pot, they all come up at different times the plants.

Tom Stephenson said...

In the unlikely event I am ever up your way I would request a cup of tea too. Lemon curd if you have it as well please.

Rachel Phillips said...

You had better give us all your phone number so we can ring to say we're in the area and can we come for a cup of tea and lemon curd on bread and butter please.

Donna said...

Okay then...Lemon cheese is Lemon Cheesecake! Love the stuff!
Enjoy...
hugs
Donna

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - if you ever come 'up North' then please do let me know.
Thelma - I think this has got to be a joke - but I don't get it.
on curd/cheese (apparently depending upon which part of the country you live in (my mother in Lincolnshire called it 'curd', my mother in law up here in Yorkshire called it 'cheese')

thelma said...

No Pat, you layer your bulbs in a pot, a couple of inches in between each layer, so daffodils, tulips and other bulbs come up over time.

Derek Faulkner said...

Monty Don showed you how to lasagne bulbs last year on Gardeners World and Sarah Raven normally shows how in her autumn catalogue.

Granny Sue said...

What a great idea! I will try to remember that for next year.

Librarian said...

A lovely surprise visit for you! Strange though that the husband did not introduce himself (or was introduced by his wife) by name.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Librarian - neither introduced themselves - they have been several times before.
Derek - thank you - I remember now.
THelma - I remember now. I didn't pay much attention as I no longer plant bulbs in my pots - too hard for me to manage these days.

Thanks everyone

Jules said...

A lovely surprise. Guests are always welcome, especially those bearing gifts :)