Wednesday 19 April 2023

Seduced by a pansy!!

 'I am not going to have my pots by the front door this year' - I have said it over the past few years - they do need feeding and watering and I am now rather frail.   My main carer.J. immediately counteracts by saying there is no reason why she should not water them as part of her care.   'No, I definitely mean it this year'; true until the Thompson and Morgan very showy catalogue arrived containing a picture of the pansy 'Summertime' - exquisite.   I pictured a tub either side of my front door.   I was completely seduced.

This morning I sent my gardener a text saying I was ordering thirty 'garden ready' Summertimes' for my pots (any left over to fill blank spaces in the garden) and would he bring a bag of peat-free compost next time he comes please.   That was the easy bit and what happened next more or less describes what it is like to be ninety and unable to walk unaided (and prone to falling at the drop of a hat and with 'the trembles'.)

First hurdle - how to order.   Phone? if I get someone with a quiet voice I can't hear and have to keep asking them to repeat what they are saying.   So no.

Second hurdle = on line.   So I assemble debit card, reading glasses and catalogue on my trolley and make my way to computer.   So far, so good - I find the plants, say I would like thirty and up comes the form to order which I fill in - the usual stuff name, address, post code, phone number, e mail address, requirements (then fill in exactly what I want).   Then I press 'pay'. Do I wish to pay with my Amazon account?   I am not ordering from Amazon but from a well-known plantsman.  So the answer is No.   Do I wish to use Pay Pal?   Don't even know what that is.   So again the answer is No.  Fiddling about I decide this is not for me - the order sits in 'Basket' but won't go any further.   I switch off and decide I will post my order and a cheque.

Find the appropriate cheque book - always kept in the particular bank's file but it entails switching off the computer, getting the cheque book and going back into the sitting room to sit at the table where I can support my trembly hands while writing the cheque.   Make out the order form (slowly because of said hands,) cut it out of the catalogue (after collecting scissors from kitchen things pot in the kitchen, folding form and cheque and putting them into pre paid envelope, sealing them, finding that - as is usual with envelopes like this - the said envelope doesn't seal properly.  Go to desk in study to fetch sellotape and with difficulty stick a piece over the flap to ensure cheque and order don't fall out en route.   Phew!   almost done.   Put on coat because although the sun is just breaking through there is a strongish sharp wind blowing.  Get into garage from kitchen by clinging on to safety handles on the wall, open the electric garage door, struggle down the drive which is quite steep so that I have to use the brakes on my Rollator (Priscilla). wait at the kerb until the road is clear to cross, walk slowly (very) along the footpath to the letterbox and post said letter. I beat the post lady coming to empty the post box by about thirty seconds.   Hurray.   Do the journey home , climbing the steep drive, parking rollator, shutting garage door, heaving myself up the step from garage to kitchen, taking off coat and hanging on hook, pushing my walker/trolley into sitting room, collapsing into chair.   Whole operation has taken an hour and a quarter but I managed it and I beat the postie - so all in all a successful operation.  Hope the pansies realise my efforts and flower all summer!

29 comments:

JayCee said...

Goodness me. They had better flower their socks off after all that effort!

gz said...

The trials and tribulations that rear their heads!
We just don't imagine these difficulties do we?

Rachel Phillips said...

Your son now goes to take a cold shower. Wouldn't it be simpler just to say yes to pay with your Amazon account?

Barbara Anne said...

Hope you're having a well earned rest and I cheer you and your determination on!! Those cheerful pansies and the remembered effort it took to order them will gladden your summer and autumn days. Pansies are such happy eye candy! :)

Hugs!

RunNRose said...

Wow. I am going to remember this story every time I need to put forth effort to get a job done! A lesser person would have quit without achieving the goal. And then, surely, the writing about the effort required even more effort. You set a high bar for the rest of us, Pat. What a treasure you are. Thank you so much.

Gerry Snape said...

"The Pansy Saga"...brilliant Pat...they will be worth it.x

thelma said...

I think we all lived with you through that journey Pat. You have an indomitable spirit and are an inspiration to all of us. Long live the pansies!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Well done for getting the order done.
I'm afraid I always put the T & M catalogues straight in the recycling! which is very bad as they are a Suffolk company and I ought to support them

Tasker Dunham said...

Chris Bonington would congratulate you. Actually, you might even be better than he is now.

Rachel Phillips said...

Good heading.

Heather said...

Well done Pat. Mission accomplished! Hooray for pansies. I am sure they'll look beautiful outside your door and well worth your effort and that of those tending them.

Damselfly said...

Brava for your persistence, Pat!
May your pansies arrive soon and bloom profusely for months and months.
You are indeed an inspiration and an all-around lovely, intelligent, sharing, & kind person.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got your exercise (mental and physical) for the day! Glad your venture out was uneventful.
I (age 70) also have a significant hearing deficit and use hearing aids. The phone can be extremely challenging and I often avoid it for this reason. Now am able to Bluetooth my hearing aids or AirPods to make calls and this has been life changing. I realize that without a smartphone this isn’t possible for you.
Alternatively you might (with your son’s assistance if needed) want to set up a PayPal account. It is simple to do, safe to use and makes checking out (many vendors use this) a simpler procedure.
Enjoy your pansies!!
Lynda (in Massachusetts)

Robin from P'ville said...

You did it! Gives hope to 83 year old.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I shall now have to master the art of posting photographs so that I can (hopefully ) show them in all their glory!

gmv said...

Such an exercise both physically and mentally but I knew without a doubt you would accomplish it. You are amazing. I hope the pansies bring you months of happy blooms.

julie king said...

i can't resist pansies either, i hope yours are beautiful xx

John Going Gently said...

The title of the blog intrigued me….of course it would lol

Anonymous said...

When you decide to do something you certainly get it done. You are impressive! Pat in Pennsylvania

Susan said...

The effort will be well worth the reward. Your pots will be full of beautiful flowers and provide a cheerful arrival at your front door. We both must be on a winning streak today! Yesterday, I came across a Katsura tree and had to have it. The heart shaped leaves with wonderful seasonal color made me fall in love.

Joanne Noragon said...

The pansies will exceed your expectations.

Bob said...

Yes those will be some beautiful pansies!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It's just not fair, is it? We spend a lifetime getting the world all figured out, then along come a bunch of youngsters who start inventing new things which we never needed or asked for, and more importantly don't understand.

Librarian said...

I'm with Rachel there - you could have probably paid easily using your Amazon account (provided you have one). Paypal is easy to use, as someone else said here; all you need is an email address.
But regardless of the alternatives, what you ended up doing made for both mental and physical exercise, and you managed to do it just in time before the postie came, too!

Frances said...

I also suggest setting up a PayPal account. You can pay for almost anything online with it. Safe and easy!

The Weaver of Grass said...

John - I chose the title with you in mind!!xx
John (Stargoose) My feelings exactly.
Rallentanda - Thank you - i can take photographs with my phone so will try your 'recipe' and hope it works. But John (By Stargoose) more or less sayshow I also feel these days.

Thanks everyone.

Donna said...

Setting up a PayPal account is easy! And for you, necessary. Ask your Carer to help you. It pulls money from a credit card of your choice. They are highly protected.
Beats you falling out side trying to post a letter!
hugs
Donna

Mary said...

You are brilliant Pat and make me realize that despite the usual aches and pains, I'm still fortunate to get around pretty well so far. . . . . .and am refusing any back surgery! I love how you sally forth with such enthusiasm - just be careful though, especially crossing the road - and make sure your gardener does all the hard work when the plants arrive!
Look forward to perhaps a few photos when everything is blooming come summer.
Mary -

jinxxxygirl said...

I'am so sorry for being late to this post Pat! I have enjoyed it very much :) Hubby and i are on vacation for two weeks and we are in the middle of it. This is the first i've switched on the laptop. So fun catching up with you. Much love and big hugs! debs