Wednesday 26 April 2023

A Pastoral inheritance

I am reading James Rebanks 'English Pastoral'.   It is absolutely beautiful - his way with words is superb.   I have just read the introduction 'The Plough and the Gulls' twice because his turn of phrase brings every single paragraph to life in front of your eyes.  He writes of being a child and sitting on the tractor with his grandfather(on adjustable spanners, a wrench and a socket set) so that his 'backside aches'.   And he speaks of his grandfather ploughing the field and the plough being followed by gulls 'rising and falling in hungry tumbling waves'.  And of the rooks, further back,marching across the field.  He speaks of being a boy and living through the last days of an ancient farming way of life.  To keep furrows straight his grandfather uses two landmarks - an old Scots pine and a gap in the wall on a distant hill.  His grandfather tells him of a young ploughman he knew who used a white speck as his distant sightline for the first furrow.   It turned out as a very crooked first furrow because the white speck turned out to be a grazing white cow! 

And of course it brought to mind my own entry into upland farming - late, at the age of sixty when after being widowed I eventually remarried 'my' dear farmer and came into a farming family of my farmer and his father 'Bert' who was already in his eighties but was active all day.

There was a milking herd of Holstein cows and the farm was on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales.   Reading James Rebanks brought it all back as though yesterday.

Father and son, farming together - with no next generation to pass it on to as many farmers married so late.   Like so many other farms in these small holdings the young lads had no time to go 'courting' and mostly remained batchelors (three in our lane alone).   Milking twice and day and looking after heifers, cows and calves, caring for upland sheep down from the fells in Winter (we had sheep from the same upland farmer every year) - they came in October and stayed until the weather was right for them to return in Spring to their uplands with their lambs.  These were hefted sheep and knew their place so now it was time for the ewes to teach their lambs their skills.

All grassland( most ofit had been ploughed to grow food I believe during the war) there was plenty to do - fencing, hedging, stone walling, feeding the grass, moving the cows regularly and keeping them to their share with electric fencing, cleaning out the becks every year, calving, silaging, haymaking - always plenty to do.

My father in law - already into his  eighties - was slowing down but always out on the land whatever the weather.   But I wanted to work too while I was just about 'young' enough to do my part.

I read up about calves and knew that the 'old fashioned' method of bucket-feeding was wrong.  Calves in a milking herd are removed from their Mums once they have got that first feed colostrum but the calves stomachs are not fully 'working' when they are very young so they need their heads back so that the milk got into the correct stomach.  So I went out and bought bottles and  and asked my father in law if I could please take over the calves (there was no hesitation - he knew I wanted to be part of the farm and he gave in gracefully.  I asked if he minded me changing the way of feeding and he said - 'you're in charge now - you do what you want!  There were often half a dozen to feed twice or sometimes three times a day and I loved it.

The next step was to take down walls which made separate pens and let the calves all mingle together - even that was accepted without comment.

And so I began to learn.

We weathered foot and mouth and never went back into milking after losing our herd.  And quite quickly things began to change.   Just as they have done over the years in all industries.   Small farms were sold as the generations had no-one to follow on.   And they were almost always bought by local farmers who wished to 'get bigger'.   And so the small farms began to dwindle and the bigger and bigger farms began to sprout enormous machines to plough, to silage - everyting got bigger, more expensive, contracted out.   We had our silage done by farmers from a much bigger enterprise - all we did ourselves was to collect the wrapped bales and  stack them ready for winter feed when the cattle were in.  The contractor came in and cut the hedges and cleared the 'rubbish' - we stacked in and burnt it.   And so it went on.

When my dear farmer died six years ago with a glioblastoma (a very aggressive brain tumour) our farm 'disappeared' as it was divided up between two separatefarms.

All in the cause of 'progress'.  Less men needed to work the land, just as less men needed in industry as machinery developed.   My Dad worked in Ruston and Hornsby in Lincoln - the largest employer in the city-  for fifty years but now the whole factory complex has disappeared.   The siren would sound at five o'clock and hundreds of men would pour out on their bikes- I don't know what stands on the site now.

Our fields are ours no longer, their names have disappeared.  Progress moves everything on.   No village shops now - plenty of supermarkets who will deliver your order (Tesco bring my computer-ordered wishes to my door).   The whole fabric of our world has changed - just as it always will continue to change.  

We had one 'hedge bottom' thick with cowslips and another where there were dozens of orchids and a corner where fritillaries grew - I guess they have all disappeared now.   The farmer and his Dad knew where they were and deliberately 'missed' those bits when they spread fertiliser.

Progress always comes at a price doesn't it?Luckily memories live until I die and I, like all of us, will enjoy looking back and remembering.

See you tomorrow.  Have a good day.

***   Must tell - I have just walked along the path in front of my bungalow and a fully fledged baby blackbird stood in the middle of my lawn calling for reinforcements as I passed.   Both Mum and Dad, who must feel I am 'safe' flew up and stood guard and all three stood and watched me.  I felt very priviledged.

 

32 comments:

bristol limey said...

Reading your blog today took me back to my memories of the same period. You do that so well. My memories are very different to yours but but when reviewed, bring back such warm feelings and a realization that we were so happy with so much less and enjoyed the simpler things in life. It also makes me sad for all of the people who have lost the ability to remember their past when that is all that we have to please us in our quiet moments.
Thanks for being you.

the veg artist said...

I enjoy James Rebanks' books. No sheep farmers in my family but mixed, dairy or beef. I have two cousins who each farm their own land. In their 60s now, they never found the time to go out and find wives. It is such a shame. We have always had a thriving Young Farmers network in the area, and they should have gone, but their domineering father was too intent on getting every hour of work out of them.

Anonymous said...

There is a reality TV show here in Australia called “A Farmer Wants a Wife”. I never thought about the reason why farmers are single until I read your blog post.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Pat..that is both wonderful and emotionally hard...I have a list written by dad of the name of each field of all the farms belonging to my Grandfather in Armagh...I love all those names...they speak of being a part of the land...it becomes more important to me as I go on in my 80th years...thankyou...give us more. X

Ellen D. said...

It's always a treat to share in your lovely memories, Pat. Nice post!

Marcia LaRue said...

Not a post I can relate to, however, it is a treat to wander down YOUR memory lane with you!

Ana Dunk said...

I was born in a small farming community in southern Illinois, USA. My dad farmed for his father alongside his twin brother. They, however, did find time to attend school, court and marry a wife. My dad did not continue to farm for his father as they had a falling out about methods, but he tenant farmed for another in another community. Eventually he got out of farming altogether and spent the rests of his adult life at an oil refinery as did his brother. I started school in a tiny one room schoolhouse with a wood stove for heat and outdoor privies. I was one of two first graders in a room with a total of 13 students. That school was consolidated into a larger school district the following year and I was bussed to school thereafter. The area is still farmed; I inherited 65 acres and still receive a hefty sum each year from my two farmers who work the land on a 2/3-1/3 basis. They get 2/3 of profit but pay all the expenses and I get 1/3 and pay the taxes.

Donna said...

I Always enjoy your stories...Have a sweet and peaceful day!
hugs
Donna

Susan said...

Your step in to farming life sounds wonderful. It seems you enjoyed every moment and learned a lot about farming. It is unfortunate when small farms disappear. Even in my small rural community, most farms have been sold to developers for the build of large homes.

Barbara Anne said...

What an interesting treasure of memories you have, Pat! Ta for sharing your memories with us, your rapt readers!

In the city neighborhood where my FIL was raised, the homes were known by the names if those who had lived in them during the 1920s! There was the Lindsey home, the Radford home, the Lewis home, and on and on.

Hugs!

Ronald Newton said...

Memories from some of my youth spent on a Lake District farm, long days, milking 30 Friesians twice a day using the air-line and Alfa Lovell pulsating teats, cooled by a corrugated steel plate with water running through, into 10 gallon churns, the old ones galvanised iron, very heavy, then the new ones in aluminium, they weighed so much less, put out on the stand for collection. Herdwicks put out to the fell when the lambs were big enough, brought in at back end for tupping and kept for lambing. Silage made in bulk, happy hours spent running a tractor (old grey Massey Ferguson) back and forward to compress it. Hay-timing with the small bales and coarse string, mewing in a hot barn. Few chickens to let out every morning and collect eggs, enticed in at night with a handful of corn. A batch of piglets brought in and kept in a shed to grow to pork weight. The never-ending fencing and dyking, just with slashers and bill-hook.

Happy days?

Derek Faulkner said...

Seeing your additional comment - it has to be hoped that one of the neighbouring cats doesn't spot the young Blackbird.
The book that I've just bought and am currently reading is "Five Love Affairs and a Friendship - the Paris Life of Nancy Cunard, icon of the Jazz Age"
One to add to my collection of books about the bohemian lifestyle of many people in the 1920's.

Will said...

A different part of the country (Sussex), but similar experiences, a herd of a dozen Jerseys with the milk flowing over the cooler into those churns, a couple of chicken runs and eggs to collect each day. No sheep or pigs, mixed arable alongside the dairy herd, using those grey Ferguson tractors. Also a sizable market garden for the big house, with all the spare produce going to sale with the eggs. Now, the big house is a care home, with sheltered housing in the grounds, the farm land rented out and the farmhouse and other accommodations sold off.

kippy said...

Have you read James Rebanks book A Shepherd’s Life? He truly is a gifted writer who can make you feel like you are right there in Cumbria. His wife Helen has her first book coming out very soon and it looks to be a winner.
A question from an American. Is Cumbria a separate area from Yorkshire or is it considered part ?

gmv said...

This is the loveliest reminisces that I have read in a long time. I love to hear memories of long ago and yours are recent enough that I can identify with them and yet the world has changed and those things are now only known to those that lived them many a year ago.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I think that because you have shared your memories they will live after you are gone. I will be able to talk about the school teacher who bottle fed lambs and how farms were run. I can even talk about hefted sheep! I had no idea sheep would stay with their own flock even when they have the opportunity to mingle. I wondered how one person and maybe a dog could manage a flock. So, dear Pat your memories will be mine and I will pass them on.
I also think this blog would be a great book!
Rose in Delaware

Anonymous said...

kippy - Cumbria is completely separate from Yorkshire, it was created in the 1970s by amalgamating Cumberland and Westmorland. Just recently it has reverted to Cumberland again.

Heather said...

What a delightful and informative post. No farmers in my family, but I realised a few years ago that I may have watched one of the first tractors after the war, working in the field next to my grandmother's garden. My cousins and I were fascinated by it.
Blackbirds used to nest in the conifer hedge at the end of our garden. I would rush outside clapping my hands when I heard their alarm call, and every time a magpie would fly out of the hedge.

The Furry Gnome said...

I do hope my memories stay with me til death!

Anonymous said...

Thank you - so beautiful. Deb

Nan said...

Beautiful post. I loved reading it, but I felt sad, too. Reminds me of James Herriot's life. I have A Shepherd's Life by Rebanks but haven't read it yet.

Joanne Noragon said...

Another wonderful memory.

Red said...

I really like your post about what has become of farming. It's the same here . Most villages are ghost towns and also some towns have become ghost towns. It's a completely different world from when I was a child. You bring back some good memories.

Librarian said...

Dear Pat, that was a wonderful morning read for me. Tinged with a little sadness and nostalgia, but also realistic about our ever-changing world. Much of what you say about farming and how it's all changed reminds me of a book I have read last year: "In the Palm of a Dale"; the review is here:
https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2022/08/read-in-2022-23-in-palm-of-dale.html

Love your last paragraph about the blackbird family letting you pass on your walk!

Frances said...

That was a most enjoyable post Pat. Re farmers not having time to " court" and marry, there was a TV programme some years ago that purported to give young farmers a chance to meet a suitable lady. Not sure that it was very successful!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Beautiful bit of writing. I didn't realise that you'd so fully immersed yourself in the farming life.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone for you interesting replies.

Kippy - have a read of Wikipedia about English Counties - quite complicated but worth a read. Cumbria at one time was Cumberland and Westmorland - a lot of the changes over the years have been 'administrative' changes. Yorkshire is the largest county and used to be comprised of East Riding, West Riding and North Riding. Now where I live is in what is now called North Yorkshire. All a bit complicated to explain. But certainly Cumbria (again the name has changed - used to be Cumberland and Westmo rland)and Yorkshire, whilst they adjoin are two completely completely different administrative areas. Cumbria adjoins the Irish Sea in the West while Yorkshire adjoins the North Sea in the East (traditionally we are the cooler and the drier of the two (our East wind is a cooler, drier wind usually)
*** Baby blackbirds are near to my window this morning - lovely to see them.

thelma said...

Another lovely memory Pat. I am so glad you go back to them.

Jayview said...

I loved this book. Even more than his first one The
Shepherd’s Life. I think this one puts a case for reclaiming much of the wisdom of traditional farming but integrating it with environmental and climate awareness. With sophisticated educational and marketing he makes the regeneration and sometimes rewilding of the landscapes possible and a source of hope. Like The Forest Underground in a way but in the Lakes not Niger!

Mary said...

This was a wonderful post dear Pat - your writing is as good as Mr. Rebanks!!!! I love his books too and have learned much about sheep and farming in the UK. Growing up in Devon and loving the countryside so much, the seaside too, I always enjoy reading about other areas of the UK which I never visited as a child. I have seen quite a lot more when visiting home over all the years since leaving. . . . . .and quite honestly if I could live my life over I would stay put next time!!!!!
Love the blackbirds story too.
Take care dear Pat - write more memoirs please.
Hugs - Mary

Tom Stephenson said...

I miss small farms. I used to like lifting hay bales with a pitch fork.

Will said...

As a teenager took me a while to master that art, easier to start with lighter straw bales before moving on to hay bales.