Tuesday 18 April 2023

National spectacle or public disgrace

 No excuses today for pinching the idea for my post from Robert Crampton in The Times today.   I had intended to write about The Grand National but he got there first by this morning when I read his comment.   But it is a subject worth airing and I would like to hear where you stand on the issue.

The first race was run in 1839, so it has a long history.   I am not a betting person but I think many of you might have been involved in staffroom, workplace sweepstakes where everyone puts a pound in the kitty and the organiser puts all the participants' names in a box and everyone draws a horse - or two if the entries in the sweepstake are small.  I was in such things on and off for most of my teaching career - I think I might have drawn the winning horse one year but it is all so long ago I have forgotten. 

But I have watched it on TV for many years - mainly to see the beautiful horses.

But of course some of them die.   TV is very good at shielding the viewer from this and even folk there rarely see what happens - screens are rapidly put round.   But if you are a watcher you will notice that along the track which follows the course there is an ambulance and a car (presumably containing a vet and a so called 'humane killer' - to the likes of you and me 'a gun')and they follow the race from beginning to end - ready to jump out if they are needed.   16 horses have died this century - and I am sure that in the minutes before they were shot they were in agony.   Jockeys are injured too of course but they choose to ride and are well-paid for their riding.

This year protestors tried to disrupt the race but the police - and some locals who also helped - managed to foil the protestors and the race went ahead.   Thirty nine horses started and seventeen finished - some falling, some shaking their riders off and some pulled out of the race.

There have been many protests over the years and many modifications like lowering the fences/hedges have been carried out over the years.  But, let's face it - it is a cruel race.   Horses haven't got the same brains that we have, and all the talk about how well the horses are treated is no answer really.   It is no doubt true that they are treated well - comparably like we are treated in a five star hotel and this clearly shown when they  line up in the ring before the race.   They are indeed beautiful specimens - adored by those who care for them.   Their coats shine, they are bright-eyed and obviously relishing the thought of the gallop.   What they are not capable of, of course, is knowing they might die a horrible death.   And make no mistake about it - if the worst happens their owners, trainers, stable girls/boys are devastated.   These top specimens of horse are dearly loved.   No expense is spared in their care.  

Loose horses gallop along with the others and often cut across in front usually at the next fence.   The hazards are many.

There are many questions to be asked - but the most important is - if the race is to continue, how can we make it safer?   Obviously some of the 'also rans' should not have been entered - they were not up to it.   Maybe some of the fences need lowering - some of them carry the extra hazard of being placed on a bend so that this makes them extra hard to cope with.

And we must take into account the fact that when we get down to the nitty-gritty the bottom line is money.

I love the spectacle, I look forward to it every year  - along with The Derby and The Boat Race they are the only 'sporting events' I ever watch.   But that doesn't mean it is right does it? The Boat Race crews 'work their guts out' to put it crudely - but that is their choice.   Not so the horses.

I think I shall 'chicken-out' - I don't think I shall watch it again.

     


23 comments:

Donna said...

It's all about man's greed...period.
It's all gotten SO out of hand...cheating...the drugs...I can't watch anymore.
hugs
Donna

Derek Faulkner said...

Hopefully the activists will achieve what they're after and get the race banned. It is a very cruel event which, unlike badger baiting, cock fighting, fox hunting, still manages to remain legal.

Mrs LH said...

I can't bear to watch such events. It's just about money and I find it abhorrent.

Yellow Shoes said...

Well said Weave.
I’ve watched it every year ( in fact I got a winning tip many years ago, travelling back from Ireland to England on the then “Mailboat” from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead )
This year however I felt a change of mood, both in the family and nationally towards the race and didn’t watch it at all.

Ursula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
quarrylakefarm said...

The subject that concerns me with all the racing industry is what happens to the horses that don't make the grade and those who may have been winners but no longer at the top.
The majority end up in the sale rings being sold very cheaply to people really shouldn't be buying them. They descend from 5* care to a miserable existence.

Susan said...

I've not been to the horse races. There should be regulations around the use and care of these majestic animals. It is sad to see them come to a horrible ending racing. Several of my friends own horses and they are treated as family members. The horses I know are very sensitive creatures. When I drive up to Mary's home, the horses are happily grazing in a field and when I walk up to the fence, they greet me.

thelma said...

Have never watched the race or ever will. It is a cruel race, but one in which the betting shops have a financial interest in.

Granny Sue said...

I have never watched this race, but find all sports involving animals to be cruel. In the late 80s-early 90s I worked part-time as a teller at a greyhound track while attending college full-time. We ended up with quite a few greyhounds during those years. Because if we hadn't taken them, they would have been put down--either too old to rave anymore, or not good enough, etc. Once done, they were literally thrown away. We re-homed most, and had one old boy for 16 years.
So to me, these "sports" simply use animals as a commodity. There is nothing humane about it.

Rachel Phillips said...

I haven't watched it for years. Redwings in Norfolk takes many redundant race horses and gives them a happy home. It is the largest horse sanctuary in Britain.

hart said...

I think you have made a good decision.

Heather said...

I used to listen to the race on the radio many years ago, but the first time I saw it on television, 5 horses had to be put down and I haven't watched since. It is a wonderful spectacle but a cruel race and all about money.
Flat racing is about money too, but also about the horses' fitness and the jockeys' ability to get the most out of them.

Joan said...

I love horses, but never watch any horse racing. It would srely be safer for the horses (and jockeys) if the jumps were much lower.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - love the idea of Horse Sanctuaries - these beautiful animals deserve a happy home.
Thanks for your comments so far - I hope there will be more comments by morning.

Gail, northern California said...

Animal cruelty for our amusement. No.

Country Cottage said...

I've never watched it and never shall. Yes, horses love to run but at least give them a decent course, the collisions and horses going down seem to be entertaining to some - dreadful.

John Going Gently said...

My mother was Liverpudlian so loved the Grand National

I’ve always hated it

Anonymous said...

In late 2022 the animal welfare act was amended to make it illegal for jumps racing to continue in the state of South Australia. Along with others, I'd like to think my many letters to the papers over the years, and always attending protests, helped to make the public think twice about attendance and support of these events. Victoria now remains the only state in Australia to continue the practice.- Pam.

Robin from P'ville said...

Sometimes I hate people.

Cro Magnon said...

You point-out very well the downside to the National. Sadly there are fatalities almost every year. Maybe the field should be halved; 25 max. The jumps should be lowered. And maybe the distance shortened. It's a HUGE industry, that doesn't interest me one bit, but I wouldn't wish to deprive its adherents their pleasure. Just make it safer for all concerned.

Traveller said...

I think it is both a national spectacle and a public disgrace. Unfortunately lots of money is involved so I think the approach will be to make some changes to make it safer…get it down to perhaps only one death every other year.

As for the comment about bull fighting.. I cannot see what is elegant about enraging an animal by sticking sticks in it, tormenting it for a while, and finally stabbing it. Nope not elegant at all. Barbaric more like

Mary said...

What bothers me is that little caption on movies stating that no animals were injured (let alone killed!) in battle/fight scenes! How can that be true when you see beautiful horses thrown to the ground, stomped on etc?
Mary-

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone - seems most of us feel the same but as some of you pointed out - money is involved and large sums of it too - and that makes it much harder to ban officially.