Thursday 27 April 2023

Thursday

Not a lot happening today other than a Tesco delivery between one and two (toasted crumpets for tea!)   It is still chilly but 'my' baby blackbirds are now pretty well feathered and are out and about in the garden this morning, still- yellow bills either open for food or cheeping reminding frantic mum and dad that they are hungry.

Most of the daffodils are now dying - flowers going brown and in need of cutting off when the gardener arrives- and leaves flopping all over.   Some folk cut them off because they are unsightly but the goodness in the leaves needs to go back into the bulb first.   Some folk bend them over and fasten them with an elastic band - I hate that - I would rather have floppy leaves.   Tulips are still giving a good show but two or three warmer days would finish them off.   Grape hyacinths with their brilliant blue flowers are popping up everywhere reminding me just how invasive they can be (but how beautiful).   But the kings in the garden at the moment are undoubtedly the various clumps of purple Aubretia and a huge mass of Asperula odorata. 

My eyesight is very poor and I can't  identify the plants at the top of the garden by their flowers (that means all the clumps of herbaceous geraniums - already good green clumps - will be  working   hard this year to put on a good show. )  As for the osteospermums, Derek has lost all of his to Jack Frost sadly,  I think mine have all survived - plenty of clumps which I am pretty certain are them but only when flowers appear, as they surely will after a day or two of warmer weather, will I be certain.

I have been invited to a Coronation Party higher up the road.   They had a Jubilee Party which I went to.   I have said this time that I will see how I feel.   I am walking out with Priscilla every day - I am going shortly- and will judge later how far I can get before deciding; might 'see you later' if anything momentous happens that is Newsworthy.  Well it has been (for me) a busy day and now, at seven o'clock I am very tired (my gardener came this afternoon and said how tired I looked).   My friend phoned to cancel a visit - he phoned yesterday and I was too busy to answer the phone and never had an opportunity to ring him back.   Today he called again just as my Tesco delivery and my gardener arrived at the same time.   All small things for the able-bodied but very tiring when every step is a huge effort.   Now my evening carer has gone after getting me crispy toasted crumpets (just how I like them) and a cup of tea.   I am signing off now and returning with a glass of apple juice to the sitting room to take my seven o'clock drugs.   Hopefully see you tomorrow.

I did manage to walk 'round the block ' slowly.   Anyone who has regularly read my posts might remember my resolve to try and speak to six people each day.   Well today I did myself proud:

1.  Two men lopping trees on the estate as I passed.

2.   A man walking a young Labrador bitch - I see him regularly passing my bungalow every day but this is the first opportunity to chat.

3.  The gardener and his assistant - firstly as he told me what he intended to do today and then again when they came in to be paid and to have a coffee and a two finger Kit Kat each.

4. D - a passing handyman and friend of my gardener who came up to us to discuss possible changes to my hedge if the frost has really killed it.

5. Both my morning and evening carers both of whom are cheerful and helpful.

 

So a good day all round. 

20 comments:

gz said...

It is reassuring to see Spring flower progress. We do seem to be stuck with a bit extra winter!!

Rachel Phillips said...

You don't want to be sitting outside and catching a chill.

Derek Faulkner said...

There are some lovely colour alternatives to the blue in Grape Hyacinths, especially the two-tone ones. I planted out several new colours last autumn and they are looking really nice at the moment. By selecting a range of daffodils and narcissus according to their flowering time I've had them flowering for two months so far.
We actually had a whole day yesterday without any rain, a rare treat but still have the chilly wind.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I love hearing about the progress in your garden. My Osteospermum seedlings are flourishing under a grow light right now. I think it will be safe to plant them outside by mid May-I hope!
I'm looking forward to baby sparrows hopping around in my backyard. I have multiple birdhouses hung but the invasive little sparrows won't let anyone else move in. I can't help but love them anyway-invasive or not.

Anonymous said...

I eat crumpets with eggs every couple of days as my go to dinner. My tiny tulips came up yesterday but it is only 4 celcius so things are a bit delayed compared to Britain.. I have not heard much about the corination here as Charles 3 is not too popular but I am willing to give him a chance Maybe it will be on television. GG in Canada

Debby said...

I am glad you are able to return to your daily walk.

Ellen D. said...

You do a nice job of keeping a close watch on your garden. You are lucky to have a dependable gardener who keeps everything nice for you. Hope you can go to the party!

Susan said...

The Spring color in your garden sounds fantastic. I hope you are able to go to the Coronation Party. My Magnolia trees are blooming and one tree is starting to drop flower petals. The wild turkeys are producing their young and yesterday I saw parents with their new young. The red tail hawks are regular visitors and the number of squirrels has doubled. It is still very chilly for the end of April.

Tasker Dunham said...

It's good that you are back to regular outings with Priscilla.

Jules said...

It does feel very chilly today. I'm glad my heating has just turned itself on. X

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the people who invited you to the Coronation party could pop down and give you a lift in their car? Don’t be afraid to ask. I am sure they would be happy to do that instead of you missing out on the fun.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for the information DEREK - I shall see what I can find - I didn't know there were other colours.

I am not at all sure I want to go to a Coronation Party. I look forward to watching the actual ceremony from Westminster Abbey but that's enough for me;

Thank you everyone.

Rachel Phillips said...

Same here Weave. TV will be fine for me

Heather said...

Your garden must be looking lovely already, in spite of the cold weather. You'll have to have a quiet day today after all that company and activity.
We are having an afternoon tea party here to celebrate the Coronation a few days before the actual event. It is a good opportunity for those who want to, to meet up with a few neighbours. Quite often we go about our daily routines and don't get to see one another. I shall watch the service on TV. I do hope the weather will warm up a bit soon.

Barbara Anne said...

I am happy that not only did you take a walk with Priscilla, but that you encountered so many people who where probably glad to have a chat with you!

Derek's suggestion about having garden color all through the summer by planting according to blooming times is simple but brilliant! Even if your eyesight isn't perfect, the colors will bring joy.

Hope you have sweet dreams and restful sleep tonight.

Hugs!

Country Cottage said...

It's good to know that your walking is coming along well. viv

Joanne Noragon said...

You have inspired me to commence walking!

Anonymous said...

You are doing well Pat. So glad to read posts like this when you are in the midst of so much friendly activity .. a reassuring post that counter-balances times you are out of action, always concerning. Pace yourself and don't take on too much. It's good to hear you are happy, engaging in life and enjoying little treats. I like my crumpets well-done with honey soaked in - delicious. - Pam.

Librarian said...

Some days are just like that, aren't they, when everything seems to be happening at once. You did well, and deserved those toasted crumpets! (I wish I had some right now!)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pam - love the 'soaked in' bit - that's the trouble with crumpets - butter, marmalade, honey but it has to be soaked in with every hole covered!

Thanks everyone. Wet day today so no walking but company of hairdresser shortly for cut and blow dry.