Monday 24 April 2023

Running out of time.

 Just a short post tonight as I have followed Mastermind all through the series and it is the final at 8pm.

Friend M came round this afternoon for a chat and as we are both interested in gardens I went into my back garden (my pride and joy although I can no longer do more than give instructions to my gardener!) with her for a look around.

In spite of the weather having turned quite unspringlike over the past few days, the garden has shewn a remarkable change since Friday (the last time I was in it).   Everything is burgeoning - seedlings are beginning to stand on their own   two feet around the pink Hellebore, herbaceous geraniums have doubled their clumps in size I am sure although none of them are yet in flower,  and more self-sown cowslips are popping up here and there -presumably brought into the garden by the birds from the field behind the wall.

This is how I love a garden to be.   Make the soil as fertile as you can, keep the weeds down as much as you can and tempt seedlings which fancy your garden as a good place to be to arrive - I can assure them all even though I do know they can't read this, that every single one of them is welcome (I can always weed out the dandelions which don't need a welcome - they will arrive anyway - they have always been pushy!)

See you in the morning.

17 comments:

gz said...

I leave the dandelions for the early season bees...I love their brightness in the face of adverse weather

Heather said...

I well remember the excitement at this time of year when walking round my garden to see how everything was doing, and what had popped up most recently. I left the dandelions to flower for the bees, but not to go to seed.

Chris said...

It really does pay to create a healthy environment for the plants and seedlings. What a treat to see things you have sown survive the winter and bloom again!

Derek Faulkner said...

I also leave the dandelion flowers for the bees, an important early food source. The leaves feed my tortoises.
My garden would look better if it would only stop raining, every house's drive has water pouring out of it around here from daily deluges.

Cro Magnon said...

I recently watched 'Celebrity Mastermind'. Firstly I'd only heard of ONE Celebrity, and secondly I could hardly believe their ignorance about really very basic questions. My interpretation of the word 'Celebrity' has taken an even deeper nose-dive!

Terra said...

Your garden is a sanctuary for you and for lots of wild critters including butterflies and bees, I imagine. My garden is like that too.

Librarian said...

A nice way to spend part of the day, having a friend round for a chat and a tour of your garden. It has turned much colder and wetter here again after a very warm weekend.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'd not watched many of the Mastermind series but saw the final - disappointed it was all middle aged men!

Angela said...

Like Sue, I was disappointed with all the MAM in the final. Regarding your post yesterday - my husband's first job after uni was working to the Marconi company in St Albans. In 2008 we did a motorbike holiday in Ireland. On one really wet day, we came across the little tower that transmitted his first transatlantic call. We were the only two visitors and the 2 volunteer guides made such a fuss of us because Bob had a genuine interest and technical knowledge. We were given access to bits the public don't usually see, and then taken to their rest room for tea and Jaffa cakes. In our modern high technology, mobile phone, national alarms, Internet driven society, I think its easy to forget what a huge difference the introduction of radio made to people's lives.

Tom Stephenson said...

Insects like weeds.

Simone said...

I don't worry about the weeds. I think they more you try to erase them the more they return. Dandelions are pretty and bright and are a fantastic source of food for bees and insects. I let my kale grow really tall instead of pulling it up for the compost and now it is covered in yellow flowers and humming with bees! :)

Melinda from Ontario said...

Now that I have an app on my phone to identify unfamiliar plants, I'm much more relaxed about weeds in the garden. If my app indicates these "so called" weeds provide food for birds and insects, and aren't terribly invasive, I let them stay.

Barbara Anne said...

A pretty garden is eye candy for the soul! Cheers for you planning the garden and for your gardener for making it happen.

Hugs!

Susan said...

Seeing your garden thrive with new Spring growth is outstanding. As you state, the plants are benefiting greatly from the fertile soil along with all the care you provide. With some good warmth, everything will continue to flourish throughout the Summer. Your garden views always sound lovely.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sue - my feelings exactly!
Cro - I am the same - when there is a 'celebrity' quiz show of any kind I have never heard of and of them.

I often wish we didn't view dandelions as weeds - they are pretty flowers and such a cheery colour. They will never be eradicated from round here as the verges of the roads are thick with them. I feel the same about cow parsley.

Thanks everyone.

John Going Gently said...

God I hate mastermind

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

My seeds sprouted while I was away in Berlin!