Friday 21 April 2023

A change in the weather.

 I can't think of a lot to say today - I had a really poor night's sleep for some reason.   After waking up at half past two I never really got to sleep again - but I did go to bed at half past nine so that's 5 hours when I think about it.

There was a distinct change in the weather last evening when, after a week of clear evening skies we had black clouds on the horizon - a warning that things would change and today there are bits of blue sky but an awful lot of threatening cloud.

I got such pleasure reading the replies to my yesterday's 'tongue in cheek' post and I am pleased to say that the gentlemen who left a comment took it all in good spirits - Tom even asked me to advise on the shoes to go with his outfit!

As Rachel commented that it would never catch on in the farming community I had to smile - I had proof of the conservatism (with a small c) and her comments reminded me.   When I'd not been married to the farmer all that long he said he would like a shirt for his birthday.   Reader I confess that I rather admire the way Michael Portillo dresses for his railway journeys on TV and the way David Harper dresses on Antiques programmes, so I pushed the boat out and bought him a pale pink shirt!   His face was a study (in scarlet).   I didn't even take it out of its box - I returned to the shop and exchanged it for a blue and white striped one (not sure he thought that was all that wearable).

My outdoor walking is progressing well - a bit further each day and a major effort to stand up straight while pushing Priscilla.   Because there is a very strong East wind blowing I was advised by my carer to walk on the back patio only rather than on the road/footpath.   I intended to do five laps but I gave up after three because a bird (not a blackbird - I know their danger calls to their young well as they nest in my back hedge every year.) -possibly a hedge sparrow or maybe a chaffinch I think- was frantically shouting to its young to' beware the strange woman walking in our garden'.  The danger calls stopped the moment I closed the garden gate. It did rather make me wish I could speak 'bird' then I could have remonstrated with the said feathered friend -saying -'if you think it's YOUR garden then get out here and start scratching out a few weeds - then I shalln't have to pay the gardener so much'. (My garden is infested with 'Mares tail' - such a pretty weed but give it half a chance and it will take over the whole plot.

And speaking of Mares tail - if any of you have it in your garden - here are a couple of things to help:

1. Friends went to a Stately home last year where they employ several gardeners.  They spotted mares tail and asked one of the gardeners how they dealt with it.   The reply was - just like any other weed.

2.  A tip I read somewhere is never to pull it up - always cut it off at ground level and always dispose of it in your green bin if you have one.   Never ever put it on the compost heap - even the tiniest bit will take root.  (Derek - if you are reading this - how are you getting along at trying to clear Mares tail from your partner's garden - you said last year you were making progress)

Until tomorrow dear bloggy friends.


19 comments:

Ellen D. said...

I am so glad to hear that you are getting outside for walks. It is good to take advantage of any nice weather to keep yourself going as much as you can. You are sweet to worry about scaring the birds!

Heather said...

How lovely to have a blackbird nest in your hedge, even if they do shout at you when you are taking a little stroll! We had such lovely sunshine yesterday, but today has been damp and still chilly. However, the 'rain' was proper April showers.
Luckily I never suffered with Mares Tail, but the worst thug in my garden was a pretty little white allium which was a gift from my aunt. I planted it and it took over completely. I had to dig right down, endangering nearby plant roots, in order to get rid of the many dozens of tiny bulbs which multiplied underground. The minute bulblets were sometimes transferred to other parts of the garden if I moved plants from one place to another. They were so easily hidden in the clumps of soil.

Librarian said...

Maybe all that fashion talk and imagining your male readers in their trendy outfits made for a sleepless night! And for someone who does not have a lot to say today (as you say at the beginning of today's post), the post covered a nice variety of subjects and wasn't all that short.
It's a beautiful day here today, the morning was cold and there was fog, but once that had lifted, the sun came out and we have somewhere around 18 Celsius right now. I should really take advantage of it and go out, but I don't know when O.K. will arrive and of course should be around when he does.

Derek Faulkner said...

Continual hoeing has reduced the mares tail considerably Pat but I doubt we'll ever completely eradicate it.
After a couple of dry and sunny, but cold days with strong NE winds, we were back to several hours of heavyish rain again this morning and so the grazing meadows on the reserve are waterlogged again. I despair for the Lapwing chicks that must of got soaked and cold and guess many will have died. Next week is forecast to be very cold and so things won't improve that much.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - I guess its the downside of being involved with the Reserve - you worry about things you would unaware of Any sign of any sprouting osteospermums?

Yellow Shoes said...

I don't want to be a fusspot but I'm hoping when you walk outside your carer is still there.
My sis-in-law fell over on a lone beach walk, breaking a hip and lay there for over an hour before someone spotted her.

Barbara Anne said...

You've reminded me of the paisley shirt I bought for my father as his gift, Christmas, 1968! He wore it at home a few times because he thought he should but methinks it quickly went in the charity box!

It will be hot here today at 29.5*C but cooler temperatures are forecast for the next 9 days.

Hugs!

The Weaver of Grass said...

No yellow shoes but I do have something called Lifeline round my neck - I press the button and someone answers and either someone calls or if necessary an ambulance is sent for.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have the press button Weave. My Mum has one also. She used to buy my Dad, all of their married life, brown and fawn clothes. Daughter and I laughed as the favourites he had of these were always the shabby ones. My daughter and I became tired of the look, and decided to buy him a very smart navy jumper and quality shirt for his birthday. "I'll look like a done-up lawyer" he humphed, and never wore them. We were so looking forward to seeing him in them! - Pam.

Joanne Noragon said...

I wear a button round my neck, too, Weave. I never thought the day would come, but it has and I've used it twice, when I fell down.

Susan said...

You are wise to walk when you can. Exercise of any kind is so good for maintaining mobility and health. The nesting birds are very active and it is a joy to watch. It appears you'll be sharing your patio until the birds leave the nest. It continues to be cold at night and below the norm for late April. We will all enjoy the warmth when it finally arrives.

Debby said...

Good for you, right back at it. I am glad you have your button.

Hilde said...

We had a wonderful spring day yesterday, in between a very cold Thursday and a wet Saturday today. I attended the funeral of a friend´s mother, she was 95 and died in her sleep. I had never seen such a big family - six children, four in-laws, about twenty-five grandchildren and their partners. Even the priest said he can´t remember the last time that the chapel was completely full family only.
Hilde in Germany

Yellow Shoes said...

Ahh you're covered for all eventualities; I should have known you'd have your lifeline button on you when you walked; great idea. x

thelma said...

As Derek says the weather is unseasonably cold and here we have lots of rain and mist but I think the first swallow was seen. Glad you have birds nesting always a good sign, lets hope the babies survive the weather.

Rachel Phillips said...

April will throw everything at you, frost, snow, sunshine, and rain.

Tom Stephenson said...

It's supposed to be raining here (my phone tells me) but it is bright and sunny.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I let my cat sit outside in the backyard with me in nice weather. He's no longer able to get over the fence so there's no chance he can escape our yard or cause harm to wildlife. His aging legs are a little too stiff for leaping and climbing. The backyard birds usually raise the alarm when's he out there but I consider him a good trainer cat. When their young are old enough, they can use him as an example of what to avoid. Maybe you're a good "trainer person" for your patio birds.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pam your post here made me laugh on a pouring wet day!