Sunday 22 March 2015

Yum, yum.

The farmer and I, along with friend W, have been out for Sunday lunch.   Isn't it good to do this?  When I was young I don't remember our parents ever doing anything like this.   Morning coffee perhaps at a friend's house, or afternoon tea (we always went twice a year to a great Uncle and Aunt who were very 'posh', so that I always had to be on my best behaviour and had a new pencil and a new exercise book to take so that I had something to do to keep me quiet).

Coming, as I do, from Lincoln, then Stokes's Coffee house was always a place to meet for morning coffee.   Last time I was in Lincoln I was pleased to find that it is still there in Glory Hole - a bridge over the River Witham.
 
But now the thing to do is to go out for Sunday lunch - a full roast dinner which saves a lot of hard work on the part of the cook, and also means a couple of slices off a really big joint, which is much more succulent that a tiny joint for two.

What did we eat?  Predictably the farmer had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with horseradish sauce and vegetables (he also had mushroom soup first).   W and I both had roast pork with stuffing and apple sauce and vegetables.   It was delicious.

Did we need any more?   No, definitely not - we were full to bursting.   Did we have any more?   The farmer had chocolate brownie, W had poached pears and I had icecream.   All followed by coffee.

We are now home - Tess has been walked on this lovely Spring afternoon - sun shining, sharp breeze, lambs in the fields, daffodils out in gardens, primroses out in the hedgebacks - oh yes -Spring has definitely sprung. Now I am going to sit in the chair and sleep off that Sunday lunch.
 

13 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

It sounds like a perfectly wonderful way to spend part of your afternoon. Sunday dinner is generally not a big deal here in the US anymore - a few families still participate but mostly it has died out, which is sad. We always had a huge Sunday meal when I was growing up - often family and friends came to dinner, we rarely went to anyone else's house. Our most popular dinner was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, peas, biscuits (American biscuits, not cookies) and gravy, followed by chocolate cake or apple pie.

It was a delightful meal, but hours of hard work preparing and then cleaning up. I must say I don't miss that part. The closest we come to the traditional family meal is on holidays, Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving. Feasts that take hours to prepare and hours to clean up.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I think my father was 60 before he went out for a meal. For a start unless you were wealthy there was nowhere to go, was there? Now just about every pub does a decent Sunday roast.

angryparsnip said...

Sounds a lovely way to have a Sunday dinner with friends.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

It's been the perfect day here too for going out for lunch or do anything else that takes your fancy. Unfortunately we have never got out of the habit of eating our main meal in the evening, so a big roast lunch is too much for us.
Enjoy your snooze.

Barbara said...

Your Sunday lunch always sounds so enjoyable...and delicious!
So glad Spring has finally sprung.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds as if all's right with the world!
I would follow the Farmer's example in food choices.

Frances said...

Definitely yum, yum! Each of the Sunday lunch menu choices you report sound so very delicious. Having a restful Sunday afternoon nap also seems a wonderful idea.

This morning I wrestled with my Federal tax forms for a few hours, then went out for a refreshing walk on a very sunny and windy day. Back home again, I made some simple cream of potato soup, which I'm now enjoying.

Later on this evening, supper will include chicken, mushrooms, carrots and asparagus. Wine on the side.

Happy Spring!

Rachel Phillips said...

I don't think my parents or anybody else's did it because nobody had any spare money to do it with.

Tom Stephenson said...

Reading this, I am now hungry again, despite just having finished our little dinner.

Cro Magnon said...

I can't eat lunch; it makes me sleepy and ruins the rest of my day. So our main meals (even if eating out) are always in the evening; when post-meal tiredness doesn't matter.

That roast beef sounds glorious.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Still haven't eaten anything other than a small bowl of porridge this morning!

MorningAJ said...

We never went out for Sunday lunch but we DID go for ham and eggs sometimes. You never seem to see signs for ham and eggs any more, but they used to be all over our part of Yorkshire.

The Broad said...

Both my husband and I grew up with a traditional Sunday lunch and we still keep the tradition up. When my son's girl is up from London we have the meal mid afternoon so that she has time to catch her train back -- otherwise we eat in the early evening. The rule is I cook it and someone else cleans up! Yesterday was an early day and like you, we had roast pork, apple sauce and veg. But dessert was extra special as my son had the night before baked us a delicious cheesecake!