Tuesday 10 March 2015

Friends, bulbs, Spring.

We have dear friends F and R who live in Hillegom in The Netherlands and twice when they have visited us they have arrived with a bag full of bulbs - for there is nothing better than bulbs from The Netherlands.   So we have a garden full of Spring flowers just coming out and every day reminding us of our friends.

At present it is the crocus - and as I returned from my walk with Tess at lunch time I saw that a bumble bee was working from flower to flower.   I rushed and got my camera, but by the time I returned with it the bee had moved on.  But surely - a bumble bee out and about - a sign of Spring.   And the sun is out too.

One thing about living right out in the depths of the countryside is that one has far more opportunity to chat to strangers.   On that same walk I met a chap walking.   He was up here on holiday and had left his car parked by the Village Hall.   As he came up the lane he had missed the footpath sign and now faced going back by the busy main road.  I showed him how to get to the footpath by crossing one of our fields - no footpath but nothing in the field and I knew the farmer would have given him permission. But before he went we had a lovely chat about his ancestors who had lived in our little village.  These things just don't happen in towns do they?  We parted with me telling him to watch out for the kingfishers, the egret and the buzzards (we think we might well have a pair which are about to nest in our plantain).   He was pleased to report that he had seen oyster catchers, curlew and plovers just down the field.  Oh yes, Spring is definitely on its way.   And The Times says that the sand martins are back in force - so soon they will be up here making their nests in the banks of the River Ure.   Then it will be but a short while before their cousins the swallows follow suit and arrive to drive us out of our garage for the summer.

How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour?
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower   (Isaac Watts)

11 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

Here in the south there is no such thing as a stranger, you greet everyone you meet and frequently stop to chat. Very different from where we lived in California.

MorningAJ said...

They look like Prince Claus crocus. Very pretty! Mine are just starting to come out.

MorningAJ said...

Nope - not enough white.
Still pretty though.
:)

angryparsnip said...

A lovely post today.
It is spring every where in Tucson. Bursting out trying to beat the hot summer.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

I love crocus and always forget where I have planted them so it's a lovely surprise when they pop up. I have seen two bumblebees already and it has been very springlike today with birds singing and buds fattening everywhere.

donna baker said...

Wish it would warm up here enough for the bees to start buzzing about.

Joanne Noragon said...

You little crocus look like painted silk.

Em Parkinson said...

How beautiful they are Pat. Have a great time with your friends. Love the header by the way.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The crocus are wonderful - it is great to have flowers to remind us of friends.

Cro Magnon said...

When I was at College in Surrey, there was a nearby old sand quarry that was dotted with Sand Martin nests. I used to spend hours watching them. I'm pleased to hear they're returning, but I suspect it's all about nesting sites.

Gwil W said...

It's been mild but now it's cooler and the rain is back. My clump of heather is in full bloom.