Wednesday 4 March 2015

Wednesday again.

One of the downsides of doing things on the same day each week, as I have said many times before, is that it makes the weeks fly by so quickly.   Today was exercise day - the day when a group of us over sixties meet our tutor, S, for an hour's exercise to music.  It is fairly strenuous but by the end I can literally feel the blood coursing through my veins and I know it has done me good.

Today was also the day when Tess had her booster annual jabs and the thing which she hates even more - the kennel cough stuff which the vet squirts up her nose.   That meant an early start.

The weather has improved considerably as the day has gone on and by the time I came out of the exercise class the thermometer in the car was showing ten degrees.   A great boost and set to stay that way for a few days at least.

On an entirely different subject - farm machinery wears out.   Even the most diligent farmer who greases and cleans machinery before he puts it away for the rest of the season (the farmer is one of these) must face the fact that sooner or later machinery needs replacing.   This year it is the turn of the fertiliser spreader  and a nearly new one should be delivered any day soon ready for this year's spreading.

There really is no point in letting all the machinery and equipment get run down - otherwise when the time comes to put it to use more time will be spent stationary underneath it with spanner and oilcan than actually doing the job it is cut out for.

When it arrives I will take a photograph of it to show you.  (I'll bet you can't wait and are filled with excitement!!)

**The lovely lady who always brings little cakes to class for us to eat with a cup of tea afterwards, excelled herself today with apricot and amaretti buns - delicious.

13 comments:

Cloudia said...

ah the spreader is the harbinger of Spring!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for the smiles and laughter
True story, from photographs I took in Ohio, USA in Amish country, I painted a few watercolors of a really neat muddy (so I thought) machine. I now know what a manure spreader looks like. lol

Joanne Noragon said...

Our road department takes good care of everything, too. One salt truck is 18 years old, unheard of for a truck that carries salt in a very wet environment.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Routines are good, especially when taking care of oneself and one's equipment.

angryparsnip said...

I think all dog despise the squire up the nose, I know mine do.
The amaretti and apricot buns sound so lovely.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Those apricot buns sound delicious. I can remember squeezing through my grandmother's hedge to watch a tractor in the next field many years ago, so I daresay I can cope with a photo of your new spreader!

Gwil W said...

And you can't beat an up to date muck spreader ;)

Hildred said...

Apricot and Amaretti - two of my favourite flavours. How lucky you are - did you get the recipe Pat?

The people on our Upper bench are complaining bitterly about the turkey manure that has been spread out on orchards in the last week.....

Cro Magnon said...

Most farmers here leave their machinery outdoors; only the tractors are under cover. They rust quickly and seem to deteriorate quickly; not good.

I wouldn't have thought there was a lot to go wrong with a fertiliser spreader.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mumasu said...

Cake after exercise class, my kind of lady :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Just to elucidate - a fertiliser spreader is not the same as a muck spreader. The fertilister spreader is a large 'bucket' with a spinner on the bottom, so that it can be filled with pellet 20:10:10 and then the spinner will fling it far and wide as the farmer drives up and down the field. I think the spinner has broken on our old one.

Bovey Belle said...

I always feel great when I've had a good walk Pat, and good that you find the same with your exercise class.

I am sure the new-to-you muckspreader will be much-admired by the neighbours (if it's anything like living next door to a Welsh farm.)