Monday 9 March 2015

The world of dog-breeding.

I think the world of dog breeding may well be a bit 'cut-throat'; like any other competitive area it is bound to generate jealousies and ill-feeling.

One thing is for sure, however much these pedigree dogs are family pets, they are also valuable assets.  Sixty years ago my first husband and I lived in a bed sitter in a very large house, where the owners lived downstairs and the upstairs was all divided to let.  The man bred Wire Haired Fox Terriers and the woman bred Pekinese and these were family pets without a doubt.   But both of them took it all very seriously.

The dogs were shown and one of the terriers reached Crufts, won its class and eventually became Supreme Champion.   There was great excitement amongst the residents of the house.   But when they came home the man had sold the dog to new owners in the US for a reputed £2000 (quite a lot of money in those days).

Now this week an Irish Setter has died after appearing in this year's Crufts Dog Show and the post mortem showed that it had poisoned meat in its stomach, so there is now speculation as to whether it was poisoned at the Show or not.   I must say that I saw its owner (or I rather think it was co-owner) on the news a little while ago and I thought she conducted herself with great dignity when she said she didn't wish to blame anyone at this stage and hoped that it would all die down and the photographers outside her house would now go away.

It all made me rather pleased that my 'mutt' was never going to be going anywhere near a dog show, where she would certainly come last although she is a pedigree Border Terrier.  What I do know about her for a certainty is that she gives me  her unconditonal love - providing of course I give her bits of her favourite food (ham) now and again - i.e. every time we have some.   And if there was a prize for the most sensitive nose then by golly she would be in with a chance - she can smell ham a mile off.

14 comments:

Frances said...

I can't believe that the dog's owner apparently left him alone for 15 minutes! If I had an asset worth £50K it wouldn't leave my sight. My dog is in theory only worth the £800 that I paid for him ( pedigree mini schnauzer), but I never leave him alone in public!! It is however a very sad end for a lovely dog, and I feel for the owners .

Joanne Noragon said...

The news story was awful. I do hope a better person steps up with information to locate the fool.

angryparsnip said...

What a sad story in today news.
I love my naughty Scotties they are my best friends, they are family. Plus I just happen to adore the breed.
And thanks for the comment that a Scotty won Crufts !
Chicken Strips all around.

cheers, parsnip

John Going Gently said...

Francis is right
My terriers a few hundred quid each , and i never even tie them up oiutside a shop!

Gwil W said...

Pat it's a dog's life and crufts must be a great stress for the poor things, your mut is lucky, has the life of Riley.

Cloudia said...

I love how you write about your companion <3



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

It's a nasty business - but it seems to be getting news coverage out of all proportion to its importance as world news.

kippy said...

Our dog's sire and dam are champion show dogs. She is a purebred, but family pet. I would never ever leave her tied up in front of a shop, much less leave her unattended at any public space. Same thing if I had a dog who was a mutt.

Hildred said...

Your new header makes my heart beat faster with anticipation!

Cro Magnon said...

I have just heard on the news that SIX dogs were poisoned. It sounds like some idiot with a grudge. Horrible.

Heather said...

That is horrifying - and to think a 'dog lover' might have done something so cruel and spiteful defies belief. We have never gone in for pedigree pets and have had several rescue dogs who have given us years of love and pleasure. We used to enjoy watching Crufts but after seeing judges yanking tails up, poking and prodding the dogs, I lost interest. As for the doggy 'fashions' - well!!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Never thought about this business of tying them up outside a shop. I never take Tess into town but many dog owners come up here on holiday, wander round town and tie their dog up to a lamp post while they go into shops. We get all kinds of lovely dogs up here - but these folk obviously need to be wary.

thelma said...

It was a rotten thing to do, and sad for that beautiful dog. But there is a lot of money to be had for pedigree dogs and maybe it was something to do with that. One thing that was never highlighted on the news was that a young student protestor (Peta I think) ran on to the ground just as best of show medals were being handed out with a placard...

Anonymous said...

Most of the people think that dog breeding is very simple but I think its an art. No doubt that ai kits for dogs have made it very easy but still it needs to be done done with extreme care.