Sunday 1 March 2015

White Rabbits!

Did you say 'White Rabbits' today - you should have done as it is the first of the month.   If you forgot, then turn on the spot three times and say 'Abracadabra, Goobledegook, Fiddlededee' each time you turn.   Yes - rubbish I know, but I have always done it and shall not stop now.

Also Saint David's Day - a fitting start to the week in which John and Chris (Going Gently on my side bar) marry.

Also these days what the weather men like to call the first day of Spring.   Sorry weathermen all, but the first day of Spring for me will always be March 21st and - judging by the temperature outside -  the weather feels as I do.   There is a sharp, cold wind blowing, the sun is shining and the windows are covered in rain drops.   The sky is an angry yellow colour - it is certainly not a day for hanging about.

I succumbed yesterday to buying a spit-roasted chicken from our local Deli so I have now to make an interesting Sunday lunch from it.   I shall make a gentle, soothing onion sauce, slow cook a casserole of ratatouille and mash some potatoes - or maybe put them through the ricer to make them extra special.   

On the subject of potatoes, which (now that we no longer grow our own) can often be so tasteless - if you haven't tried the Elfe variety do give them a go.   I think they originated in Israel, but are now freely grown over here in the UK.   Their flesh is golden and they have a lovely taste - and mash beautifully too so what's not to like.

At the Coffee Morning yesterday I bought, from the second hand book stall, Paul Theroux's 'Dark Star Safari' about his solo journey from Cairo to Cape Town.   Now that I no longer am able to travel great distances abroad I have become a real armchair traveller (alright, I admit it, I always was) and as the day was miserable yesterday I sat in front of the wood burner, the dog at my feet, and read.   I am just about to enter Kenya, the year is 2000, it is pretty scary but not for me in front of the fire.   And, of course, I know he survived or he wouldn't have written the book would he?

I suppose John and Chris are beginning the countdown to Friday - I do hope all four dogs are going to the wedding suitable dressed in their tuxedos (Winnie will be bursting out of hers if she continues to steal ham rolls off poor suspecting folk - see Going Gently .

Have a good Sunday.

17 comments:

Heather said...

According to my mother, today was to have been my birthday but I didn't arrive until St. Patrick's Day! It was very windy during the night but is still now - the sun is shining though there are plenty of clouds. I am hoping to do some more gardening, probably while my husband watches the rugby this afternoon. It will keep my stress levels on an even keel!
I shall go giddy if I turn round three times - gobbledegook and what?!!

Gwil W said...

I'll wear my plastic daffodil out as it's St David's Day.

Twiggy said...

It's a sunny, rainy, blustery day up here today, Happy St Davids Day
Twiggy

Cro Magnon said...

I say 'White Rabbit, White Rabbit' before uttering any other words.... I also dig Lady M in the ribs and remind her to do likewise; she is so grateful.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

I think we should all wear our wedding hats or bridesmaids outfits. Have our photos taken and send to John's blog - virtual wedding guests.
what do you think?
Gill

Linda Metcalf said...

I'm very excited and happy for John and Chris...it's very close now. Love that Winnie.

Joanne Noragon said...

You are so right about potatoes. Home grown are the best, and our terriers would grub in the garden for them and eat them on the spot. Guilty faces when they emerged. The best ones I've found since are Yukon Gold. They have gold flesh and are magnificent mashed.

Mac n' Janet said...

Had never heard of the White Rabbit, but shall act accordingly.
We grow some potatoes, but not enough. We prefer red ones.

thelma said...

Forgot! I also go down stairs backwards on the first of the month, which is rather dangerous, and also break the bottom of my boiled egg shell to stop the witches sailing over;). Goodness knows where that one came from....

Elizabeth said...

If he were alive, today would be my father's 104th birthday!
Pinch, punch - the first of the month
Remember to walk downstairs backwards and kiss the first person you meet....
We expect snow....hahaha....

Gerry Snape said...

Yes...white rabbits... and March hares......exciting...have the log fire lit today...the wind makes it extra chilly!

Jennifer said...

Hooray for love! Can't wait for the pictures and stories when John and Chris are wed!

Hildred said...

Oh of course - White Rabbits - rubbish indeed, but it gives a little lift to the day and a small feeling of confidence that you have the luck of the White Rabbit with you all month.....

angryparsnip said...

I love your post today ! Filled with all sorts of great news.
I too am very excited for John and Chris.

cheers, parsnip

Linda said...

I never knew this! White Rabbits!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Gwil W said...

I'll bet you are the first to hear the cuckoo, Pat.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

You are so right about potatoes that you grow instead of buy.

Last year I had two store-bought potatoes go to sprout in the cupboard. I saved them until spring and planted them in a large container. I knew nothing about growing potatoes, but ended up in very early fall with a whole growing container full and bulging at the sides with little homegrown potatoes. They were the best potatoes I have ever eaten.

I have never heard of these March 1st customs, but I suppose they couldn't hurt, (except for the walking down stairs backwards). I like the White Rabbit, White Rabbit one.