Friday 20 March 2015

A bit of a non-event.

Well, a bit of a non-event I thought.  Yes, the partial eclipse happened dead on the minute it said it would.   And yet it only became dusky.  The birds continued to eat at the feeder and the robin was singing its beak off throughout.  I expected all the rooks to be on their way home to bed and all the little birds to retire to the bushes, but it didn't happen.

Perhaps, now that the sun is a lot stronger, that tiny sliver of sun along the side was enough to stop it going really dark.  Whatever the reason, a cock pheasant and one of my hens kept up a spat, almost a running battle, over the poultry wheat through the whole thing.

And yes, Cro Magnon, I do agree with you - I shall be celebrating the first day of Spring tomorrow as it should be.   Not that I shall be dancing naked round the blossom tree or anything like that, but I shall be taking deep breaths of the Spring air and saying goodbye to Winter  -even if it does happen to be premature (as is suggested in the comments on my yesterday's post by one or two answers from the States).

There is a plethora of Spring flowering plants on our market today - primroses and polyanthus in pots, bunches of daffodil and tulips to put in water ; everywhere you looked there was yellow and red and purple - it does the soul good.

Oh, and by the way, regarding the Spring celebrations - there never was a time when I danced naked round the blossom tree (in fact I think I feel more like doing it now than I ever did!) 

***Pictures on this evening's television news showed just how very exciting the eclipse was as it moved further North - the North of Scotland had a total eclipse and it really did go completely dark up there.   It was lovely to see the young school children so excited.

11 comments:

The Solitary Walker said...

Pat, why deny those Laurentian primal urges? but remember to take photos. You have a duty to your blog readers!

A Heron's View said...

I agree with you Pat the eclipse was all hype and a few minutes of twilight. The 1999 eclipse was far better!

Terry and Linda said...

It's spring like here today...last night it was winter again.

Linda ★★
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

angryparsnip said...

I so agree with you, Spring Equinox is tomorrow.
It is full blown spring in Tucson. I think everything here in the Sonoran Desert grows and blooms their little hearts out before the heat of summer comes. Which is already knocking on the door.

cheers, parsnip

MorningAJ said...

The things you seem to have been expecting happen only in total eclipses. And even then, it doesn't go totally dark - just very, very dusky. (I saw one in Cornwall about 20 years ago.)

Personally I was impressed. I watched it through a pinhole camera so I got a good view of the black 'bite' out of the disc.

Rachel Phillips said...

Well I enjoyed it.

Tom Stephenson said...

Blimey - it takes a lot to impress you and Heron. Thanks for the postcard, btw Heron.

Cro Magnon said...

First day of Spring today. Hooray (21st).

Heather said...

The eclipse was much the same here. It just went a bit gloomy for a short time but the birds still sang.
I love this time of year and whatever tricks the weather has up it's sleeve I am enjoying these lovely spring days.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks to you all. The T V pictures of the eclipse in the North of Scotland were absolutely fantastic.

thelma said...

Up on the moors it didn't get dark at all for the partial eclipse, the birds sang, and the light changed from a golden colour to a grey, but that could be because of the clouds..