Monday 16 March 2015

Paninis at Noon.

Better than  pistols at dawn any day metaphorically speaking.

Back to our local Auction House, Tennants of Leyburn, today, past the mini covered in old pennies that I featured in a post last week, and into the Cafe with friend S for a chat and a friendly lunch.

Two hours in which we ate paninis with salad (mine was ham, gruyere and piccallili), drank coffee and covered a wide variety of topics.   We never run out of things to chat about.

During our lunch we could sit and look on the big screen too, the screen showing details of items in the forthcoming Sale with their estimated value.   I must say that there was a time when I would have positively drooled over some of the Chinese porcelain, some of the beautiful jewellery, paintings and furniture.   Now I no longer have any desire for any more 'stuff' whatever its value.



Because the sale is a very important one and is starting this Friday the Auction House was abuzz with dealers all taking the opportunity to assess the goods and mark  their catalogues prior to auction day and then come into the Cafe for lunch and a bottle of wine.

Now to the latest Salley Vickers book I have read.   I have already recommended two - Miss Garnett's Angel and Aphrodite's Hat.   Now here is another one to add to the collection - equally brilliant so do look out for it - 'The Cleaner of Chartres' - an elegantly witty story full of intricately woven patterns and such interesting character studies.   Do try to get hold of it.


9 comments:

Gwil W said...

Synchronicity is at work because I just posted about pizza. Ciao, Pat.

Heather said...

Auctions fascinate me. Not because I want or need anything but for the excitement when the bidding really takes off and things go for amazing prices. I also love panninis and my current favourite is ham, cheese and red onion marmalade. I am on the look out for Sally Vickers' books.

angryparsnip said...

Like you I don't need anything but auctions are fun.

cheers, parsnip

Gerry Snape said...

Another beautiful pic for your heading Pat!

Rachel Phillips said...

What is wrong with a sandwich? A panini has nothing to do with this country and should be left to the Italians.

Cro Magnon said...

It's a wonderful time to buy good old furniture in the UK. If only I still owned big enough houses to accommodate it all.

Frances said...

I enjoyed your description of the pre-auction atmosphere at the auction house. The buzz of it all.

Thank you for the recommendation of a new Sally Vicker's book. I have just finished reading, and enjoying, Miss Garnet's Angel. I've made a note of the new books, but now will return to to Peter Carey's Amnesia, Kazuo Ishiguro's The Sleeping Giant, and Andrew Marr's Head of State.

Knitting may have to be set aside for a while.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for calling in. Incidentally, those of you who are interested in Salley Vickers's books - please note that oddly it is Salley Vickers.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - I don't agree about panini versus sandwich - both have their place - I happen to prefer paninis. If we followed that argument through then there would be no Italian restaurants either.