Tuesday 19 September 2023

'Sparks through the stubble'

 I am reading - well reading, stopping and thinking, looking up plants, looking up quotations, having moments of extreme sadness - Derek Jarman's 'Modern Nature'.

Jarman was born in 1942,  had a not very happy childhood,  became a painter, theatre designer, film maker, poet, writer - but above all a gardener.

He was gay and was one of the first 'famous' people to make his HIV status public.   We are talking of the eighties and nineties when such a state was more or less a certain death sentence.   His book, written in 1989 and 1990, is about the garden he made in the shingle around the fisherman's hut he bought in Dungeness.  He died at the age of 52 in 1994 after living with a death sentence - and years of awful illnesses - four years after finishing the book.

His mantra - which sums up his attitude to life so well was (loosely taken from The Song of Solomon) :

For our time is the passing of a shadow

and our lives will run like

sparks through the stubble.

 

           *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

This morning it was very wet - I suppose it has been wet all night.   It was certainly raining when I went to bed at ten and it was still at it when I got up at six.   Not just wet but the trees were still, everything looked thoroughly drenched, all the passing cars, which I watch over my breakfast every day, had their wipers going full pelt, all the dog walkers were swathed in waterproofs and many of the dogs were giving their winter waterproofs their first outing.  And I thought, with a moment's passing sadness, of my farmer who - like all farmers - put on his old waterproof jacket  (which got more and more decrepit until finally one Friday (Auction Mart Day) I would steer him in the direction of the farmers' shop in an old stable building in Golden Lion Yard and stand over him while he bought a new one that was  waterproof) - and set off round the fields with Tip his dog and Tess, my Border Terrier in all weathers to make sure that all was well.  No fancy waterproofs for either dog of course - they both had 'good thick coats that turn the weather'.   No farmer worth his salt would contemplate a coat for a dog - buying one for themselves meant a major effort! (I would put this as high on the list of reasons why every farmer should marry - way above cuddles (and more) in bed.)

Living as I do on the extreme Eastern edge of The Pennines we know all about water here.  Some major Dales take their names from the river which flows through them - Wharfe dale, Swale dale, Wensleydale ( used to be called Yoredale after its river - the Yore - later Ure but changed to Wensleydale around the time that the village of Wensley - which stands on the Ure - was almost wiped out by the plague.)

These rivers rise and fall with rapidity - often aided by the strength of the wind, and as the rain stopped this morning so the wind rose.   Now it is sunny (but still threatens rain) but the wind is very strong and blowing from the West thus blowing the water from all the becks updale down into the Ure.   Rain  is forecast so we can bet tomorrow the Ure will be 'banking' or even overflowing.

Jarman talks about such days, when in ailing health he sits them out in his fisherman's hut on the shingle.  The rain stops for a while and he walks - 'the sun, a puddled vein of molten silver in a vast amphitheatre of cloud'.   He writes like a painting - it is easy to see the scene in his beautiful word-pictures.

 

      *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

The doorbell rings and a friend calls out which brings me down to earth quickly.   She has been to Ripon and while her hearing aids were being 'serviced' she had a wander round M & S - found two pots of Prawn cocktail reduced for a quick sale.  So she bought them  and on her way home called with one for me as a starter for my lunch today.   I wish I had the ability to write about them, to paint a word picture to match the book I am reading.

If you like such books, do please give it a try.   It is superb.


22 comments:

gz said...

Thanks for the reminder...I must read that book...and two things on the list for our next Kent visit, his garden, and the Hythe and Dymchurch railway!!

Sodden here as well, but no flooding nearby.

Barbara Anne said...

What a sweetly thoughtful post. The world lost so many wonderful people to HIV, a few of whom I still miss.

Some writers do have such a gift of painting word pictures and I think you have that gift, Pat. I can see your dear Farmer striding across the fields with Tess and Tip bounding here and there, keeping lookout for him.

Your friend certainly brought a delicious treat for you lunch! I love shrimp cocktail!

Hugs!

jinxxxygirl said...

A wonderfully turned phrase can just send me over the moon Pat so i do think i know what you mean. My Morning Chef husband is over there cooking us eggs and toast this morning and i try every time to commit the view to memory because as you mentioned we are just shadows upon the Earth.....Rain... we live as close to a desert as you can get without actually being in a desert... rain is a precious treasured thing... Hugs! deb

Granny Sue said...

I must find that book. It sounds like one I could sink into.
A lovely post today, thank you.

Tasker Dunham said...

I never knew why there is no River Wensley until this post. An obvious question but one never asked by someone who grew up on the Ouse which is a continuation of the Ure.

Heather said...

I haven't read any of Derek Jarman's books but have seen many photos of his lovely garden on the beach. So sad that he died so young.
Lots of rain here too, with promise of worse to come on Thursday possibly. I'm pinning my hopes on a golden October. However, I've pinned my hopes on each month since July!
Thank goodness for our books and other favourite pastimes. We'd be so bored without them.

Ellen D. said...

Raining all day here too, Pat. So the perfect day for reading!

Heather said...

I have not heard of Derek Jarman or his beach garden. A couple of years ago I went to Dungerness on the narrow have railway and later drove there. Apart from the power station it's a kind of special place with the beach cottages.
Parts of Somerset had flooding and it's been pretty wet and miserable the past two days. Good job the farmers locally were very busy during the hot and sunny spell.

Traveller said...

Have added that book to my TBR list - so many great books to read. I have two books left on the Booker longlist to read, I try to read the longlist before the shortlist is announced.

Don’t understand people who say there is nothing to read and all modern books are worthless.

Debby said...

I love that mental picture of you so caught up in your rainy day reading that it takes a knock on the door to bring you back to the world.

the veg artist said...

It's years since I went to Dungeness, but I can clearly remember the wonderful bleakness of the place on a dismal day.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for books-there is nothing on television.
I love to follow an author ie. I have the whole Philippa Gregory series, which I guess is more about following a history theme than an author.
My present 'find' is an author living in Sydney,Charlotte Wood. She is co-winner, winner, and short listed for many awards. I've just finished two of her books in a row, and am onto the third today. Enjoy your day Pat - Pam.

Susan said...

A writer that can paint a picture with words is very skilled. The story in pictures becomes alive. Your writing is similar Pat. I hope you get some sunshine and dry weather soon.

Cro Magnon said...

I do remember his beach hut and the pebble garden, but I don't know much else about him. I must 'make enquiries'.

thelma said...

Glad you are enjoying the book Pat. As I listened to it, the voice of the narrator was very good. It was Julian Sands, and looking him up find sadly that he was the actor that went missing in the Sans Gabriel Mountains in California and was later found dead. His voice was just right for Jarman. Difficult to describe but slightly weepy and intense.

Tom Stephenson said...

Didn't Jarman live on the beach at Dungeness? That is the first holiday I remember as a child of about 3. Strange place to take your child, but I liked the strangeness of it.

Northriding said...

Modern Nature was re-broadcast on the radio a couple of weeks ago - read by Rupert Everett on Radio 4 Extra. I loved the book when I read it and also Smiling in Slow Motion. A friend gave me Dancing Ledge this summer and I'm yet to read it, enjoying the anticipation, so to speak.

Yellow Shoes said...

" I wish I had the ability to write...'
Oh Pat you do, you do.

Rachel Phillips said...

To the majority of people he will be remembered as a filmmaker who also had a garden once upon a time.

The Weaver of Grass said...

The effect I wish to achieve in my own garden but not in the same league as his.Rachel - I understand the garden is well maintained. I have always wanted to see it but too late now - it looks so beauiful and natural in photographs.
Tom - yes indeed and he built the garden at a time when he was struggling with health problems caused by AIDS and HIV.
Heather - do you still make your lovely books?
Glad to pass on the information Tasker. Bit of an insult to the Ouse to say it is a continuation of the Ure!!! The mighty Ouse? Saw it from the air a few year ago when flying Teeside to Amsterdam. By the time it flows into the Humber Estuary (never realised just how large that was) it is quite a majestic sight. The Swale joins the Ure I believe before they both join the Ouse.
Thanks everyone.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tasker = remember reciting the Northern rivers at school - Swale, Ure, Nidd, Wharfe, Aire, Calder, Don - Do they all flow into the Humber Estuary I wonder - and do they all flow into the Ouse first? Get you map out please and let me know - my eyesight can't cope with maps at the moment. Thanks in anticipation of a brief Geography lesson if you read this.

Pixie said...

I'll take a look for the book. I enjoyed "The Elephant Whisperer" so much.

I was a newly graduated nurse in the late eighties and worked on a pulmonary unit. We got most of the AIDS patients because of PCP, a type of pneumonia. It was heartbreaking. They all died. I'm glad there's good treatment now for HIV.