Monday 4 September 2023

A Country Girl at Heart.

I am a Country Girl at heart.  I lived the first twenty years or so in the Lincolnshire countryside but then moved eventually into the delightful semi-country feel of Lichfield - a cathedral city and a sort of 'half way house' before my baptism of fire - Wolverhampton, where we lived for almost twenty years.

Now I have lived here in North Yorkshire for more than thirty years - until my farmer died really out in the countryside but since then right on the edge of a small country Dales town.   And I mean 'on the edge' - climb over my back garden wall, walk over three fields and you would arrive at our old farm - now split into two and quite unrecognisable.

But although I have my garden, live opposite a piece of ground - a building plot but undeveloped so that it is a lovely space, cared for by the owner, so strimmed regularly and every couple of years the three or four trees are cut back into 'shrubs' - it is not quite the same as 'proper' country.

Imagine my pleasure when yesterday my dear friends rang to say they would come and take me for a drive.   If you read me regularly you may remember they did the same in the Spring - just as the Hawthorn (May) Blossom was coming out and the lambs were gambolling in the Dales fields.   I was for that hour of the drive in a totally different (Blissful) world.   And so it was yesterday.

The opposite end of the year.   Trees still in leaf but looking weary .   No lambs now but fields full of fully grown sheep (about to be 'tupped' anytime soon.)   The grass, after a very wet month, green and lush (and third crop silage finished).

As T drove along the country roads - well you could almost call them lanes - plenty of polite driving letting the other fellow go first sort of stuff, very little in the way of flowers on the verges except patches of yellow rattle here and there (that plant so hated and despised by farmers (with good reason) but so beloved - even craved - by the grass rivulet moth) the thing which gave me the most pleasure - and something I haven't seen for a few years was the turning of the hawthorn berries.

In some sheltered places hawthorn trees in the undulating grassland fields were covered in bright red berries.  In other places - in more open land - the hawthorn trees showed brown - berries 'on the turn'.

Here and there bright rose hips told of the beautiful wild English rose earlier in the year. (and always reminds me of 'Rose Hip Syrup' - I remember giving a spoonful to my son when he was a young child.)  Not sure that it exists these days.

We called to see a friend and sat in the garden for a while in the sun.  A Victoria plum tree was dropping its fruit onto the grass (they were ripe and absolutely delicious (I ate 6).   Word had got around because every Red Admiral butterfly in the neighbourhood was there for a 'plumfest'. 

I was returned home replete with Victoria sandwich topped with strawberries and cream (and those plums of course)- and with memories of our glorious Dales countryside.  Nowhere else on earth more beautiful.   Thank you T and S. 

This morning, for only the second time this year - I walked round a short circuit of the estate.  An ash tree I passed was dropping its leaves on the grass and on the footpath.   Yes it is Autumn (meterologically speaking) - and September has obliged us by giving us a few days of glorious  weather.   Enjoy it. 

20 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed a trip out into the countryside. Masses of hips and haws in the hedgerows today as I went out to pick some blackberries - there's also greengages, damsons and apples in our hedges, as this was once a major fruit growing area.

Country Cottage said...

Sounds a lovely day out.

gmv said...

You write such a delightful description of your day in the countryside.I feel as though I was there too. Every since I read James Herriot's books I have dreamed of visiting the dales.

Heather said...

That sounds like the perfect day out. Victoria plums remind me of my childhood when there was a tree in our garden. I used to love them straight from the tree but the wasps loved them too so we had to take care.
I grew up in the Buckinghamshire countryside which is more gentle and not as dramatic as Yorkshire, but lovely nonetheless. After marriage we moved up to Cheshire and would visit parts of the Peak District which I never forgot. I get my countryside 'fix' now by leafing through a wonderful book of photos of the Peak District. I know my feet and legs would never reach such places but I can dream.

DUTA said...

Hawthorn berries are used as medicine in cardiovascular supplements.

Susan said...

You describe a perfect Autumn day. The views on your travels sound truly lovely.

RunNRose said...

Thank you for this post, Pat. Some of your joy rubbed off on me! I so appreciate those friends who provide you such
opportunities!

Ellen D. said...

You described your drive and visit so well, Pat. Sounds perfectly lovely!

Tasker Dunham said...

Delrosa rose hip syrup!
Wish you could come round to help eat our Victoria plums. We have so many they are threatening to overrun our digestive systems.

the veg artist said...

I love a trip out into the countryside too, even though, like you, I live right on the edge of a market town. My favourite journey is a loop around where I was born, where my family has lived for generations. Much changed now, but I remember the hedgerows from childhood, honeysuckle and ferns in particular. During lockdown, the powers that be in Wales decreed that we could not go further than 5 miles from home and many people, myself included, got out of the habit of these little trips which are so good for the soul.

Barbara Anne said...

T and S are certainly thoughtful, caring friends to take you on such a delightful drive on the lanes you know so well and to call to see another friend while in the area! Did you stop to get some hawthorn berries to bring home to go in a vase for decoration?

We're still having summer heat, so our trees and shrubs aren't turning autumn colors yet, but they will!

Hugs!

The Furry Gnome said...

Now that I'm paralyzed I can't go for a drive myself, but tomorrow we're going for a drive together.

Joanne Noragon said...

A wonderful day out. Thanks for the picture.

Red said...

Nothing like a good country drive especially if you were brought up in the country.

Debby said...

I am glad that you got out. I picture you in the backseat, taking it all in from your window like an excited child.

Librarian said...

Beautiful! I am glad for you at having had such a lovely day.
Here, it is a Swabian specialty to make a sort of jam out of rosehips. It is apparently very rich in vitamin C, but no matter what, it tastes really good on bread and butter or to accompany a cheese board.

thelma said...

I love to hear everyone picking the fruits of our countryside, the harvest of wild stuff seems so abundant this year. The apples and plums that have escaped domestic cultivation, the yellow crab apples that can be turned into golden delicious jelly. A good car journey Pat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Debby - About the one good thing to come out of my various age-related disailities is that I can no longer get into the back of a car! When dear friends S and T take me out T brings his car and dear S endures the ride in the back. T is a tall man and S is a smallish delicately built woman so she doesn't bring her car as poor T is quite scrunched up in the back!

Furry Gnome - enjoy your drive - I hope the weather enhances the views as you go.

Barbara Anne - No I always leave the berries for the birds.

Tasker "Run" being the operative word here methinks.
Veg artist Good for the soul indeed.

Thanks everyone - after reading your responses I almost feel you were there with me.

Anonymous said...

Things here in the Southern hemisphere are also turning. It is only 5 days into Spring and we are already pushing high 20s in temperatures.

bristol limey said...

Pat you paint a beautiful word picture.