Wednesday 6 September 2023

Heat wave

Heat waves and  me are not good bedfellows.   That is why my favourite Seasons are Spring and Autumn. This year I am suffering more than ever.  It would seem that because of my age my sweat glands are either not working or not working as well as they should do.

Yesterday my legs, which have been brilliant for the last couple of months, swelled very badly and made life very uncomfortable.   In addition the creases at my elbows were red and swollen and various bright red patches appeared on my arms.   I felt very well in myself, as I usually do, but I was really worried.   After reading Google and then having a discussion about it with my son I decided to sleep on it.   This morning after a reasonably good night's sleep legs and arms were back to normal when I awoke so I am assuming my suppositions were correct.

Today I have drawn the Venetian Blinds on my South-facing windows, opened all windows wide on my North-facing windows and done very little other than the Mind Games.  I am re-reading "The Diary of a Bookseller" by Shaun  Blythell.   It is a while since I read it and it is very amusing and a good book to pick up and put down if folk are calling.

I have just had an e mail from my Accountant to say that she will call shortly.   The business was finally all finished with  and she promised she would call and collect the farmbooks to put through their industrial-sized shredder, so I assume she is at long last calling in for them.   They have been sitting in my garage for the last three years so I shall be delighted to say good-bye to them.   I do like a nice tidy garage.

I understand the heat wave is set to continue for a day or two yet.   Tomorrow I am out to lunch again as the village lunches I went to with friends T and S begin anew for the Winter session.

See you tomorrow.   Sleep well in this humidity. 

19 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm sorry that you have to suffer as a result of this excellent and long over-due weather, it must be awful to not be able to enjoy hot or cold weather without suffering. My arthritis has improved greatly this last couple of days as a result of the weather and I've been out in my shorts, cycling along the sea front every afternoon.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - you are lucky with your arthritis - many folk find theirs is worse in hot weather.

Heather said...

It is such a shame that we long to feel the warmth of the sun, and when summer does arrive it comes with a vengeance. I think I could manage the heat if it were not for the humidity that seems to come with it. I have lymphoedema which means that my feet and legs are always swollen, and excess heat makes them even worse. I shall look forward to the temperature dropping a bit, though I do still go out for my short walk every day. It was perfect at 9.15 this morning. Not looking forward to tomorrow when I have an appointment at 3.10! Wilting at the thought of going out then! Enjoy lunch with your friends.

gallovidian said...

Shaun Blythell's shop is fairly local to me here, but I've not got around to visiting it yet. I've read his diary book, thought it was excellent - one of only three books that I've actually laughed out loud at in my 57 years of reading; the rest of his books are on my to-buy list, so I hope I can up that tally.

Barbara Anne said...

Humidity has long been the bane of summer in the South - and lately elsewhere. Iced tea and/or cold drinks in the daytime, a cotton sheet and fan blowing on you at night are our pre-airconditioning solutions.

Enjoy knowing the heat/humidity won't last long.

Have fun with your friends and the good food during you lunch date.

Hugs!

Fiona A said...

Everyone stops to think about those who suffer from SAD in the winter - no one seems to stop about those who hate the heat and seem to suffer from SAD in reverse. Personally I can't wait for teh cooler weather,

Brenda said...

This has been the hottest in Florida I can remember...since moving here and when visiting. It is amazing. I live on the coast (GULF) so we usually have a breeze. NOT...just going to the trash and mail...is exhausting in the heat. Hopefully, it will get better soon. I know it is Florida. I knew to expect this when I moved here. That being said, the last few summers here were milder, esp here on the coast. Love your blog. So interesting...as to SAD...I feel for those people...as to the Arthritis...had since age 20...severe cold horrible, but the severe heat makes it bad for me. Of course, I need two knees and two hips but holding out. Mine has always been in my back...worse...fingers...shoulders...did I say all of my body. The docs shake their heads when they see the scans. I tell them that I am "WV tough...lived in pain over 50 years...just keep going...

John Going Gently said...

Humidity is my nemesis
It floors me

the veg artist said...

It's the lack of wind that's doing it for me. The air is so warm and stuffy, it just doesn't feel right. After a bad night's sleep I usually sleep better on the second night - hope that's the same for other people as well.

Debby said...

It has been awfully hot and humid here as well. I have such a hard time sleeping.

Joanne Noragon said...

Today is our last day of heat and humidity, hurrah May your legs remain normally brilliant.

Red said...

My Dad's account books gave a lot of family information. That's how I found out that it cost 10 bucks for the doctor at my birth.

Cro Magnon said...

Our big bedroom windows were wide open last night, it was lovely.

Librarian said...

I hope you had another good night's sleep and are feeling well and fresh today, Pat.
When it was so hot and humid here in August, I felt like a zombie most of the day, and work was a real struggle. Right now, we are having the best late summer weather we could wish for, and I am enjoying it greatly: Cool enough nights to get fresh air in every room, but warm, sunny days at up to 29 Celsius but not too hot, with a slight breeze. Just gorgeous!

thelma said...

We are always told not to talk to Doctor Google Pat ;) but he/she seems to answered you sensibly. Am I the only one who loves humid air, also the air in rain when I am quite sure there is more oxygen around. I do hope the Autumn air brings you more comfort Pat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Red - I am sure you are worth a whole lot more than that!

Thanks everyone.

Derek Faulkner said...

My walk round the reserve at 7.00 this morning took place in thick mist, I never saw further than 30 yards. By 9.00 it was a hot, humid and very sunny day and it stayed like that all day, probably approaching 28 degrees and very humid and I loved it. Last week I felt a tad depressed and ached in all sorts of place with arthritis - this week I have been almost pain free and my mood has been very boyant, this heatwave weather really suits me.

Susan said...

It is very hot and humid in Massachusetts as well. It is 10-15 degrees hotter than it should be for September. We all want nice cool Autumn air. I am actually looking forward to winter. Enjoy your lunch with friends.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone. Burning sun out already this morning.