Monday 11 September 2023

?

I can't put a title because I can't think of a single thing to say at the moment.   I blame this on the weather (we English can blame the weather for almost anything - after all we have had plenty of practise.)   The fact is, like many others on or about this Latitude, the humidity, coupled with a still quite strong sun, has made 'proper' sleeping almost impossible.   I had what I thought of at about half past ten last evening as a clever idea.   My evening carer always turns the sheet and duvet well down the bed so that I can get into bed easily.   Looking at this I had an idea.   I could  turn the duvet back vertically so that it just covered half of the bed (lengthwise). making half the bed just a sheet for cover and the other half double-duvet.   Not really a good idea (well I had had quite a busy  -though very enjoyable-day and was pretty tired) as I realised as the night progressed.   For most of the next six hours I was alternately either too hot (two thicknesses of duvet) or too cold (one sheet) as I shuffled across the mattress in and out of the two areas.   I did laugh at one point because it rather reminded me of the Grand Old Duke of York in  a horizontal rather than a vertical rendering.

So, having not 'cut a long story short' you will realise that I am suffering from lack of sleep.

But I did have such a pleasant day.   First if all the bell rang and I called 'come in'.   I didn't recognise the voice which called 'hello'  but a second or two later in walked dear S a blog friend from I O M.   A minute later in walked K, her husband (he had been taking his shoes off in the hall and apologised for treading talc down the hall carpet )- a fact which highly amused my carer this morning.  Apparently putting talc in one's shoes or socks is not a Yorkshire habit (well not 'splashing the cash' is after all a serious factor in the life of a Yorkshireman).

They stayed for a lovely couple of hours chat and a cold drink.    They had only been gone a short while when my usual Sunday callers S and T came, hot and tired from walking round the Hunton Steam Gathering - a yearly event in the local calendar.   T put the kettle on as they came through the door and S made the three of us a cup of tea.  (no Kit Kats as they had only recently had lunch.)

As they drove out of the road after staying an hour (T fell asleep, S and I chatted), my son drove in and he stayed an hour during which we caught up on the week's happenings and did a bit of reminiscing.

All that plus 'Antiques Road Show' - if you watched it you would see the elderly (late eighties) Ralph Steadman - the celebrated cartoonist -come to the table to sign a print of one of his cartoons - and I was well ready for bed.

There is a long list of programmes I want to watch on TV tonight (if I can stay awake ) so it wont be an early night but I have just had to put on a cardigan as I was chilly so that's a good sign for beddy-byes.

See you tomorrow. 

12 comments:

Nan said...

Could someone get you a fan to help with the heat?

Barbara Anne said...

I'm so pleased that you had many Sunday visitors and such a pleasant day! Hope you slept well thereafter.

Will have to look up the Hunton Steam Gathering as DH loves all things steam powered. Perhaps there will be lots of photos and/or a You Tube video.

Hugs!

Terra said...

You had a nice busy day with welcome guests and I hope you sleep well tonight.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - that would be bliss
Nan - yes - a possibility but too late as the heat and humidity are slowly going. But an idea for next year - or perhaps a Christmas present.

Heather said...

I hardly knew what day it was last week. My brain refuses to operate in humidity and heat. I was nodding off after taking my usual walk, or doing a little housework. Thank goodness it is much more comfortable now. I have managed to get quite a lot done today and no napping either. So pleased you had lovely visitors and lots of good conversation. Sleep well tonight.

Brenda said...

I laugh at myself often. I grew up poor…it was not as hot then, so the breeze coming in the window helped. Alas…now air conditioners keep us healthy. I went to England two times on government grants for Shakespeare teachers. 2006 and 2008. June and July…well, I am sorry to say, it was so so hot in 2006…I went down to the desk in the hotel and nicely asked if my air conditioner was working in my room. They chuckled…I was on the second floor near the kitchens I suppose. I opened the windows and invited all of London to come in…lol. In 2008, I knew better and asked for a room up higher, on the garden side, far from the kitchens…it was better. However, in Stratford in Avon in the B and B whew…the heat. I told my students to not believe all they hear..that England is not always rainy and cold..despite no air, I loved loved loved England. I have lived in Ohio, South Carolina, Indiana, WV, and now Florida…I do NOT ever remember it being as hot as it has the past few years. Hope it cools down for you. We might get down to 90…a cold wave LOL love your blog. Brenda

Joanne Noragon said...

Busy day!

Debby said...

I'm not sure if they have such a thing there, but over here they have cooling sheets, cooling mattress pads, cooling pillows. They are wonderful! I'm not sure how they manage it, but they sure saved our bacon during some of the hottest days. The only complaint I have about the pillows is that they slip out of the cases.

Hilde said...

What a pleasant day you had, with nice visitors! We had some very hot days, but we are promised rain and temperatures about 25°C from today on. When I got up today, the thermometer in our bedroom was at 26°C!
Hilde in Germany

Cro Magnon said...

We have a duvet cover on the bed, in case it gets cold, but we sleep on top of it. I wonder now how long that will last, now that temperatures will drop.

thelma said...

The air is slowly slightly cooling here. And the gentle sound of rain on window pane this morning was beautiful.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you to you all taking the trouble to comment in the hot, humid weather.