Thursday 14 September 2023

Frustration

 Does everyone have days when they could almost (but not quite) pick their computer/lap top up and throw it out of the window (if it didn't mean getting/finding a glazier (are they still called that these days?) and forking out the dosh for a new pane of glass?

Well today has been such a day.

An e mail arrived in my in-box this morning telling me I only had until the end of the month to spend my vouchers for £15.   Didn't know I had vouchers so that is why I hadn't spent them.   Anyone who reads me regularly knows I find clothes hard to resist and I soon persuaded myself I really did need another jumper for Winter and if I could deduct £15 it was quite affordable.

That was the easy bit.   First of all I copied down the voucher number - then went to the site (won't reveal the company because they have been good to me over the years and I am sure it was more my fault than theirs.)   Found jumper a) - started the order then noticed that my size was out of stock.   So went back and scrolled through jumpers again.  Chose another one.   Jumper b) was available in my size so started procedure again.   Got to check-out, copied in voucher number - rejected.  No such number existed.   Switched off computer, made a pot of proper coffee (my all-time soother in times of stress) and decided they could keep their vouchers.

After lunch and while waiting for my mobile hairdresser to arrive, scissors at the ready (cut day) I had simmered down so tried again.   But by the time I got to my second choice of jumper they were by now out of my size.

Start again.   Look through jumpers again and find one I like better than jumper b) in any case - so begin again.   Get along fine until I typed in voucher number - rejected again.    Then I noticed - in minute print - that it was a voucher to be used 'in store'!!  An even smaller print informed me I could change the voucher to an on-line store - did it and tried again but somehow I hadn't done it right so was again rejected (and me dejected too).

In desperation I sent an e mail to the company saying 'help'.   Lo and behold, within 5 minutes they sent me an e mail saying they had ordered it for me and deducted  the £15 worth of vouchers and said jumper was on its way.   < relief was palpable.

It is worth saying that earlier in the year I bought a jacket from them and then the next day saw that they were - for one day only - (the day after I placed my order) deducting  £50 off everything.  I sent off an e mail saying I was a bit aggrieved to miss that by one day.   They sent an e mail by return saying they had moved my order forward by one day and were creditting my account with £50. 

So now I await delivery of my denim blue long jumper.   And I have got my frustration off my chest (blogs are a brilliant place to do just this).   

See you tomorrow when, hopefully, my post will not be quite so mundane.

*might have spelt 'creditting' wrong - can't find right spelling and carer just arrived, so if it has only one t then sorry (I am sure Derek will point it out if I am wrong)..


15 comments:

the veg artist said...

Yup, often frustrated by technology here, but my computer is old and slow. I still haven't found out what happened to the man in New York who took his computer into an alley and shot it. He probably didn't have a window to have thrown it out of!

Barbara Anne said...

How annoying! Hooray for the clothing company for their good service!

Hugs!

Heather said...

At least your struggles were fruitful and you have your jumper on it's way. I'm glad the clothing company looks after you so well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a good outcome. Daughter, 40, is starting a new job and there was a lot of admin work via computer she had to complete and emails back and forth before starting and tackling systems she was unfamiliar with. With a toddler in the mix I could hear her stress levels on the phone.
An enquiring text from us reassured us that her first day was 'great', and her husband, after work, had helped her the night before with the technology. It made me appreciate retirement even more. - Pam.

crafty cat corner said...

I have often said this to my Son and Daughter, sometimes I would like to throw the whole lot away but of course I wouldn't because there is so much that I love doing on the computer and my phone is a life line.
Only this mornng my Son had to look at my printer because it wasn't working, who knows why, it worked only the other day. Luckily he managed to get it going again. I like to print my music.
Briony

Gigi said...

My ipad went crazy last week, so Apple gave me a place to take it to get restored..the place did an excellent job and I got it back a day later. This morning my daughter told me how to get rid of some stuff that was showing up and ,oh no, it got rid of all my favourite blogs that I read every day. Now I have to count on my not wonderful memory to find them again.. I was just talking to my friend and she lost all her photos off of her phone today and can’t remember how she did it. Glad you were able to use your voucher and order that new sweater.

anonymous said...

Oh my , what a great story,and you told it.
so well ! Yes,sometimes I,too, have felt so
frustrated that I with
a computer that slapping it was tempting.Mary

gz said...

Dealing with a Human Bean is far easier...even by email!

anonymous said...

Good story,and wonderfully told!Yes, I also have at times wanted to slap my computer..
I hope you really enjoy
your new jumper,Mary

hart said...

I have often fantasized about pushing my computer off the desk and watching it crash to the floor. Glad you read the fine print.

Susan said...

Some businesses are set up magnificently for online ordering. Amazon comes to mind. If all businesses made ordering as easy as Amazon we would succeed every time.

Debby said...

What great customer service! That's a company to stick with!

Cro Magnon said...

I leave my wife to do our hotel and other travel bookings online. Her frustration can often be heard a mile away. Web sites should be clear and simple, if nothing else.

Jennyff said...

I don’t know why we get so cross with online transactions, but we do. In the days we travelled to our small towns to buy clothes we accepted what was available and I am sure we didn’t have the massive choice of style, colour and size we do today. If the shop didn’t have change we’d wait while they went to get some. A much more civilised and sociable transaction, it’s daunting to think how much more frustrating life will become as AI takes over, we won’t stand a chance then.

JacquieB said...

Credit where credit is due?
Why not name a company that gives customers 5 star service?
It would be really helpful.