Tuesday 5 September 2023

Another blue-sky day dawns

It is half  past eight on a super morning.   Most doggie-walkers have disappeared by now.   The sun is shining and it is not too hot.   I am going to walk round the longer of the two blocks right now with Priscilla.   I hope I have not set my sights on going too far,   Time will tell.   I shall go slow, take frequent stops to look at gardens and hopefully have some kind of 'adventure', garden, doggie-chat to write about on my return.   Hopefully see you soon.  Mind games will have to wait for my return - it could even be that the fresh air sharpens my wits enough to get the 'Moderate' Killer right today.

I didn't get far.   My neighbour and her daughter were standing in the front garden and I| stood talking to them.   They were expecting a new fridge and freezer any minute.  I stood chatting until the van came - twenty minutes or so.  I don't 'do' standing very well - I find it too tiring.   So consequently I ended up just walking to the end of the road, crossing over and coming back on the other side footpath,   so I didn't see anyone to speak to  or any dogs to have a conversation with.   But I did a bit of thinking - and here it is:

One positive comment early in the morning can make your whole day when you live alone.   One negative comment can spoil your day.   If you can go to whoever you live with (maybe if it is only a dog or cat) and talk over a negative comment ,then you can get it out of your system.   But if you live alone it can 'rankle' (Chambers says 'vex, 'irritate', 'embitter') in your brain all day, making a day you can enjoy to the full into one which is flawed.   I have decided in future if I can't say something good I shall say nothing at all.

The good comments this morning were just little things ' en passant' but it meant  that I left that chat with my neighbour and her daughter and I was smiling.   First of all S, her daughter, who I had not met before said, "I love your hair" (short, cut every six weeks by a hairdresser who comes to the bungalow every fortnight to shampoo (£10) and each third visit to cut also (£20),  and white (with old age).   Then when the two men came with the new fridge and freezer I left and went to cross the road.   One of the men stood in the road and when I began to cross and asked him if there was anything coming before I stepped out from behind the van, he replied, "Don't worry love - I'm a big lad.  Nobody's going to knock me down" - before helping me up the kerb the other side.

Both simple, ordinary statements but they started me off on the right foot today.


 

20 comments:

JayCee said...

I agree. A simple kind word can make the whole day seem brighter.

Sue said...

I agree completely, it sets the tone for the day one way or the other doesn't it, a nice remark or a nasty look whichever one can make you get back home in a good frame of mind or send you off down a worm-hole of 'did I deserve that'.

The sunny mornings and blue skies at the moment help a lot to get most folk off on the right track though don't they. I hope the rest of your day was as good. xx

Librarian said...

Kind words and a smile can make such a difference, no matter whether one lives alone or not.

Does Priscilla not come with a little seat, so that you do not have to stand when you want to chat for more than a few minutes?

Damselfly said...

I heartily agree! Kind words, kind acts, a smile do make the day much lighter & brighter.
May your days be bright, cheery and each contain a bit of kindness.
Please know that YOUR blog posts deliver kindness and smiles to so many of us!

Anonymous said...

My walker has a seat, so if I need to, I can sit and rest. I only use it for when I know I will have to stand in line. At the grocery store the shopping cart helps to keep me standing.

Debby said...

Simple observations, but a wisdom sore needed in these days.

Marcia LaRue said...

How can you miss when you have a "large lad" calling you "love" and helping you across the street and up on the curb (kerb)?
Having a good chat with your neighbor is a good thing, too!

Anonymous said...


I agree with you. Something like "I like your hair" or "that is kind of you" can make a day much brighter. Jackie

Barbara Anne said...

How heartwarming to have a kind and big fellow lend an arm and charming word as you crossed the street.

I hope we can all find something nice to say. I once surprised a lady at the grocery store by remarking that her cologne smelled lovely and she was delighted. We had a brief but pleasant conversation, then continued shopping.

Hugs!

Susan said...

Blogs are funny and sometimes not so funny. Let's just laugh about it. That said, people need to be aware of what they say and how their words come across. I hope you enjoy your lovely sunny day.

Heather said...

Another sunny day here too, though rather too warm for my liking. If I don't get my little walk in early before it gets too hot, I get nothing done all day. However, I was pinning all my hopes on September being a more pleasant month so dare not complain.
How nice that your shortened stroll was so pleasant. You are so right about a friendly remark being uplifting. I find that quite a few younger people are kind and helpful as I get older. One of the perks of ageing perhaps?

Granny Sue said...

You are quite right. Nothing spoils my day as quickly as a sour word from my spouse. Sadly, as he gets older this seems to happen more and more often. Perhaps it is just too much togetherness!
I had lunch today with a cousin, his wife, and my dear aunt who will be 90 on her birthday. She gets around very well, no walker needed yet but she is having problems with balance now and thinks she may need something soon.

Anonymous said...

Amen to Granny Sue's first statements. Thank goodness there are bright people in the world who make others' days and one can find them to get away from negativity and feel sunny again- Pam.

Anonymous said...

I love the big lad story, can just see him smiling away.

Ceci

Joanne Noragon said...

How I love that big lad. Either of my brothers would have done the same.

Red said...

Meeting positive people and staying positive goes a long way to make a good day.

hart said...

What lovely people you met up with even if you didn't get in the full walk.

Cro Magnon said...

Yesterday morning, during my first dog-walk with Billy after having been away for 3 months, about 8 or 10 people said how nice it was to see me (and Billy) back. It really made my day.

Karla said...

Pat, my mil has a walker with hand brakes and a seat. Maybe you could get one like that, and then you've got a spot to rest when chatting. I try to get my positivity in first thing every day, to try and set the tone for the day. I get up before my Hubs, and read all of the lovely blogs that I love, and yours is one. Your positivity inspires me, and then off I go to try and find the good things in my day.

Lokeish Umak said...

Simplicity always wins and makes for a fantastic day. Maintain your pace. Would you mind take a look at my blog, tweakHow.com and follow? I've only recently begun after a long absence. I'm hoping you enjoy it.