Tuesday 12 April 2022

A Good Day

 As I said yesterday. a jolly day all round with plenty of activity and plenty of chat.   Just how I like it.   I had to  keep going and looking at my garden to admire it - I do so wish I could show it to you but nobody who calls can put photographs on my blog.   But I will keep trying.    But D my gardener put in the osteospermum and moved several other plants around and also top-dressed.   Monty Don in his garden programme the other week said that really perennial plants in herbaceous borders do not need feeding but they really do benefit from a top-dress each year with a good compost.   Do not dig it in, leave it on the top, the worms will pull it down and distribute it far better than you can.

And just to add to my pleasure it is slightly warmer today and after a dry start by about ten this morning it was raining steadily. It is now twenty past two and it is still raining steadily.   That much 'natural' rain does far more good to my plants than I can ever do.   They all look settled and happy already.

A, the young lady who cleans for me once a month, going round with the vaccuum and the polishing cloth and the damp cloth, has been, gone through the bungalow in an hour and a half and has now gone off home.   Young folk have such interesting jobs these days, they all seem so versatile.   She comes from a farming background but her parents split when she was a teenager and the farm was sold.  Now, after a degree in agriculture, she works on a huge farm in the area - at present they are lambing so she takes her turn at days/nights; in     addition she does her shifts at milking and really is gettting a good all-round training.   Her live in boy friend has done ten years in finance after his degree and has now also gone into agriculture.  He too is from a farming background and has done the ten years in finance in London.   Now he works two days a week on line at his old job and the rest on a farm up here.   How versatile is that?   I understand them when they say London living is just too expensive to save anything.  I really do wish them every success - they really do deserve it.

What opportunities there are for young people now providing they are prepared to work at it.  See you again tomorrow.

14 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

The most important part of your comment today are the words "providing they are prepared to work at it" - so many youngsters aren't.
It has reached 20 degrees her today and been very pleasant with long spells of sunshine, it is however, getting quite dry, rarely to we get the perfect balance. Quite a lot of summer visitor birds have arrived quite near to me - Swallows, Yellow Wagtails, Wheatear, House Martins - but so far, they haven't come past me.

Debby said...

I love meeting folks like your lady. They really do make one feel hopeful about our future.

The Weaver of Grass said...

It has stopped raining now but we have had a good steady rain all day and that has made me feel very happy about my new plants settling in.

Country Cottage said...

Gardens can be such pleasure. Your young lady sounds like a treasure, best of luck to her and her partner.

Heather said...

So glad the rain has watered your plants in for you. It was pouring when I woke up but had stopped by the time I was ready to go out. We had further showers throughout the day so all gardens down here have had a good wetting.
That young couple should do well in their lives - they seem to work so hard.

Anonymous said...

Can't say there's a great deal of composting going on around the inner city suburb where I now live. When I lived in the country, my husband would shovel dry sheep manure from under the shearing shed boards and trailer-load it back for my much-loved garden. Backbreaking work but all in the name of love bless 'im, and certainly not asked to do so. Enjoying your posts Weave- Pam, Aust.









Susan said...

Your garden sounds lovely. Many young working people left the cities for more rural living. With this, they either arranged to work remotely from their new rural home or they changed jobs entirely. The work world has experienced a major shift. Historically, corporations said if people worked at home the work would not get down. This proved not true as demonstrated by Covid and remote working. Data shows people were as productive working from home. Today, to attract workers corporations are supporting work from home.

Joanne Noragon said...

I wonder how my grandchildren will make it through the world. Everything costs so much and wages are hardly more.

Red said...

You sound very upbeat today. Keep at it.

angryparsnip said...

The rain sounds so lovely. We need more rain and wish we had some here, several
wildfires here and a month of strong winds.

Librarian said...

Interesting account of your cleaner and her partner's work situation.
Working at several jobs at once and not just one sounds like it involves a lot of getting from A to B, as long as those jobs can not all be done working from home.

After we've had some badly needed rain last week, it's warming up again nicely and we are having our third dusting off the Sahara in the course of a few weeks. Apparently, it is really good for the ground. On my after work walk yesterday, I noticed how much fresher and greener things look since last week's rain.

Gerry Snape said...

As soon as they were old enough...16...my grandgirls looked for weekend work...and one at Uni at the moment works 3 hours a day as well as lectures...as a local cleaner in Norwich...she's studying philosophy and politics...young people do work I believe. xx

Rachel Phillips said...

It's all relative. Nobody had any money back in time both recent and ancient; it is only now that it seems to be taken as if it is a right that people have everything they want. Work and make your own way was the philosophy we followed, nothing is given to you on a plate, and achieve and strive for ever better without complaint.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well said Rachel and so true

As Derek says Gerry. plenty there if they are willing to work.

Thanks for calling in.