Tuesday 26 April 2022

To Listen or not to Listen - that is the question.

 I want to know what is going on in the Ukraine so I turn on the television News.   Then it depresses me to see the devastation, the destruction of buildings, the bodies of young Russian soldiers - many of them look to be not long out of school,  the old Ukrainian ladies with nowhere to go but to stay put.   As is always the case in war - there are no winners or losers just survivors many of whom are scarred for life both mentally and physically.   And because it has now been going for three months many of us are able for much of the time to push it to the back of our minds because we can't do anything.    And really we only get to know what "they" choose to tell us - whoever "they" are.     So this evening, after watching the News I have now pushed it to the back of my mind and shall talk of other things.

In my garden, standing on the patio and loo king up into the garden I think I can see some alliums - don't bank on it - but live in hopes.  The tulips, which have been lovely, are in their last throes until next year.   Will I be here to see them?   At my age it is always a question to be asked.   Also will the new plants my gardener planted live without a watering?  The day after he planted them all we did have a wet day but not a drop since and they have had to take their chance as there is no way I can get up to them.

I have not felt 100% today.  I think I twisted my back yesterday - I felt something 'go' and today I have not been for a walk or done my laps of the patio.   I have not been entirely idle though because it was the day for my Tesco delivery so I like to wash out the door and the shelves in my fridge before my delivery comes so that I can put it into a nice clean fridge.

There is one shelf in one cupboard - where I keep my cake tin and my bread bin - which gets crumbs  and I can't get down to reach them.   I must  remember before I go to bed to leave a note prominently in the kitchen to remind me to ask my carer to wipe it for me.   It will only take her a minute and she will be happy to do it for me.  I have bought on my Tesco order two packs of Lincolnshire Sausage to give her in the morning - Tesco Lincolnshire Finest is a delight to me coming, as I do, from Lincolnshire.   It is quite highly seasoned with herbs - you either like it or you don''t.  I have bought twelve sausages - enough for her family and the two people she cooks lunches for..   We shall see - I will report back.   If you haven't tried it do.

Almost time for Master Chef - we are up to the semi finals and I enjoy watching it, so I shall go and pour myself a glass of apple juice, put my feet up and relax.   Take care dear readers.   see you all tomorrow metaphorically speaking.


19 comments:

Ellen D. said...

Your home must be spotless as you and your carer take such good care of it!
I listen to some news and I read the paper each day but there is little that we can do except hope for better times for many and peace for all. Hope you feel better tomorrow and can do a bit of a walk. Sleep well!

Rachel Phillips said...

I neither look nor listen so have no idea what the BBC news are telling you about the war in Ukraine. I hope your Lincolnshire sausages are good. I will be watching Masterchef in a minute too.

the veg artist said...

I wish you could harness your fridge/shelf cleaning resolve, pack it up and send me some. Just a little would help. You surely have more than you need.

JayCee said...

Enjoy your viewing, and your sausages.

gz said...

We are watching and listening to the bare minimum of "news"
I know when Pirate has overdone it with so called news...he sleeps badly and talks when he is sleeping!!

Minigranny said...

MasterChef is really good this year! They all seem to be a very capable lot, almost professional. Hope you enjoyed it and don't worry about your plants, they will probably be fine,!

Tom Stephenson said...

How else are you to find out what is going on in Ukraine other than listen to, read or watch the news? I don't understand people who don't. Lincolnshire swassages - just the job. That's the way to do it.

Anonymous said...

My husband has recently retired, and as once mentioned has taken over the garden ,but fridge and pantry also. I could not find my cake tins anywhere after an exhausting search. I decided to ask 'the Pantry King' and he directed me down the hallway to the top of a bedroom wardrobe. Explanation: You never use them. I think this is what they call 'the adjustment period' of retirement.- Pam

Debby said...

This made me laugh!

Susan said...

Your home and garden sounds lovely and very well cared for. With help, you manage beautifully. Regarding Ukraine, Bridget Brink has been appointed as US ambassador to Ukraine and she will reside at the embassy in Kiev. Re-opening the embassy is a good sign for Ukraine. Like you, I wish the war would end and Ukraine can start rebuilding with lots of help from the rest of the free world.

Joanne Noragon said...

I use my computer for my news, so I can select what I cannot bear to see and barely can tolerate the reading of.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I watch the news about Ukraine once a day for a half hour or so,then I turn it off. I may catch glimpses of what's going on at other times during the day,but I cannot watch very much. It is too horrible and I personally, at this time in my life,cannot do anything to help the situation. It breaks my heart to see the suffering there.

I haven't planted any flowers yet. The weather has just not settled down and in my opinion the ground has been too wet and the nights too cold for anything to do well,and then during the way the wind just keeps blowing so hard. Many areas near my area had frost last night. Not very welcoming weather for planting my flower seeds.

Enjoy your Lincolnshire Sausages.

Linda said...

Yes, please send some of your cleaning energy! I have spent hours scraping away shower caulk which the previous homeowner had ineptly slapped up, and I’m exhausted. As for the news I ration myself to 1 hour of BBC World News on National Public Radio. I do want to know what is going on in the world, and listening paints a vivid enough picture. Losing my husband 2 years ago really brought home how precious each day is and spending it ‘doom scrolling’ the internet is a waste of time. I’d rather fix up my house while listening to a radio play, work in my garden or play with a grandchild.

Derek Faulkner said...

I've banged on about this before but it seems even more relevant today as families all over the country are coming up against food shortages and rocketing prices of food and are struggling to feed their families. In my newspaper yesterday a letter suggested that it must be a right kick in the teeth for those families to see programmes like Masterchef mucking about with food that they can only dream of buying - just for entertainment!

Librarian said...

Sorry to hear you have pulled your back and could not go for your walk or do your patio laps. Hopefully, you can soon take them up again; you keep telling us how your walks nearly always make you feel better and more mobile afterwards.
Tulips and daffodils are nearly all gone here, too; lilac is in full bloom in many gardens now, and my cherry tree has shed most of its blossoms and looks more green than white now.

thelma said...

The worst thing on the news is the banging on of Angela Rayner's legs. I do not listen on the whole to the Ukraine news but flashes by on my screen with terrible shots of the destruction of buildings, the sad faces of the people clutching their animals. We should take note but not gleefully as the newscasters seem to do.
Richmond vegetarian sausages are not bad, especially good cold, a thinly sliced sausage in a sandwich with accompanying bits and pieces is delicious.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I listen to the news on the radio each morning to keep abreast of what's going on, but avoid the news in the evenings - I don't want to hear about it before going to bed!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - interesting point of view. I must say the contestants I admire most are those who use cheap ingredients - in my cooking days they really inspired me. I no long cook at all but I Linda - I have someone to do my housework mainly because I have difficulty keeping upright without holding on to something.I admire people who can tturn out a good meal.
Tom Lincolnshire sausage - can't beat it except perhaps good cumberland.

Thank you everyone foe joining in our conversation.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sorry but one sentence has sneaked into the middle of another. I am very shaky tonight - I do apologise