Saturday 9 April 2022

Cold

 Gosh I do wish it would warm up a bit.   It is half past seven in the evening and it feels like winter outside.   As has been the case all week, now that night is coming on, the sky has cleared to a pale, icy blue and the frost has come down.   My gardener promised yesterday to call round and plant my five new plants - but he hasn't been.   I presume he has forgotten - fingers crossed he remembers and pops round in the morning.   He only lives a short distance away.

From your kind and thoughtful comments yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to outline my circumstances to you today.   I shall be 90 in October.   I have lived alone since my farmer husband died in 2017 but I do live amongst friends. My friend H lives one side of me and she lives alone and is actually slightly older than me.  Friend M, also living alone, lives the other side.   She is younger but is a great help and always cheerful.  I live on an estate on the edge of town - a small town with under three thousand inhabitants and having lived here for more than thirty years I know many people.   I have a Carer who comes in six mornings out of seven for an hour - she gets my breakfast, helps me wash/shower and dress, does my washing and puts it into the tumble drier and then takes anything which needs ironing home to iron.   In addition she cooks me a lunch daily - bringing  it to put into the microwave (apart from days when she brings one of her salads - I would happily have one every day she makes such good ones.)

In addition I have a lady who comes in to clean once a month - she cleans right through.   I have Lifeline, an organisation which keeps an eye on elderly folk.   I have a pendant round my neck which I keep on twenty four hoursa day.   If I need help or if I fall then I press the pendant and help arrives.   For that I pay thirty pounds a month - an excellent investment as I can fall at the drop of a hat.

My son lives in a nearby village.   He has an invalid wife so can be of limited help but it is still a great comfort to know he is here.   Someone yesterday asked if I could ever get taken out by car.   Yes I have friends who do various jobs for me such as bits of shopping.   They also call often for a coffee but yesterday one of them went down with Covid. Once a fortnight I go to the hairdresser - then I have a taxi as I do for longer journeys - for example this week I have to go for my booster covid job - the friend with covid was intending to take me - now I have booked a taxi.

So you see I am nicely organised and have plenty of company.   Under normal circumstances I have a speak to six people a day rule you may remember.   Over the last few weeks this rule has not been working but I am sure normal service will resume when the weather warms up and I can sit outside.

So I am sure you will appreciate that I  really do hope to keep out of care and live as I am doing at present.   There may come a time when I have to go into care - falling is my greatest hazard at present.  So long may I remain upright.


19 comments:

Debby said...

May you always remain a fine upstanding woman!

gz said...

A lovely comment, Debby!
Yes. It is cold.
Probably your gardener reckons it could be a bit too chilly to get new plants in?

am said...

You inspire me, Weaver. I don't want to go into care either when I am 90 or ever. My goal is to stay in my home, although I do live alone. I'm 72 now (73 in October) and putting in place the support system that will make it possible for me to continue to live independently.

I like your idea of speaking to six people a day. For now, when I take a walk in the woods, I speak to at least six people but without that walk I might not speak to six people. I'm an introvert with friends but no children and no family to speak of except a first cousin my age who lives in the same town. I'm going to start counting how many people I speak to on days I don't walk (-:

I wish I could see your flowering plants.

Heather said...

You seem to be very well organised. The trouble with falling, even if you don't sustain any injury, the fall itself causes loss of confidence. On the plus side, since I had a fall I now pick my feet up - no shuffling!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Long Be Upright!

the veg artist said...

I think we will all feel better when it warms up a bit. Take great care not to catch the current incarnation of Covid, Weave, it's not good. It's taken me a month to feel better, and I'm still coughing and have a bad throat.

Tom Stephenson said...

Yes, stay vertical Weave. And it is BLOODY cold right now. I was thinking that today.

Anonymous said...

You are similar to my Mum. As she is 94 now, it has been necessary to set up systems in place to keep her happy in her own home - she is definite that it is the place for her. She enjoys her fortnightly visits to the hairdresser,- a quiet salon where she has a good chat to the hairdresser, and there is always someone who drops her home, close by, after the appointment. I like Debby's comment. Keep well and warm Pat , from Pam.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I heartily echo the advice to stay warm

Susan said...

You have instituted a marvelous support system and your intent to stay in your own home is ideal. My 99 year old Uncle always said never go into a care home. He also felt even the most expensive of homes can not provide care like you can institute yourself in your own home. He's right. If, at some point, you need to add help you can do it.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is cold here today, too. It actually snowed again this morning.

Red said...

You are well organized to take good care of yourself. Falling is a huge factor in independence. Last year a took a couple of tumblers due to carelessness.

Cro Magnon said...

Stay away from a 'home' as long as possible. Not only do they fleece you, but you become simply a number in most of them. They are money-making businesses; not caring luxury homes as they often suggest.

Bonnie said...

You have wisely done an excellent job of arranging your life in a manner in which you can live at home and still have safety practices in place.
I do not blame you for wanting to stay in your home as I feel the same way. You are blessed to have so many friends, especially in your neighborhood. I appreciate you and thank you for setting such a good example for the rest of us!

Rachel Phillips said...

You are fortunate with those two neighbours either side of you.

Librarian said...

I have said it before and will say it again: You are setting us all a good example. And I wish you all the best so that you may continue to keep living in your own place - and keep blogging.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for the booster comments folks. They do more good than my booster jab!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Hello Weaver! Your situation, as you explained it, seems perfect. I marvel that your carer can accomplish all that in one hour. She must be Wonder Woman! "They" say that one of the keys to longevity is to have a social network, people with whom you can meet up and chat and you definitely seem to have that. I aspire to be doing as well as you when I reach your age. -Jenn

Yellow Shoes said...

I like your support system very much and having a friend living on either side is an excellent situation.
A lifeline pendant round your neck for £30 per month must give you a feeling of safety too.
Your daily carer sounds a gem.
Now I've seen how organised your care in place is I would do as you're doing; staying put.
Someone once said - There's nothing quite like drinking your own coffee out of your own cup in your own home!