Friday 4 March 2022

Yet another grey, damp day.

 Yes, it was off to the Hairdresser on my once a fortnight appointment today - the taxi came at ten minutes to eleven.   It was grey, murky and raining steadily - not at all a pleasant journey.   Friday is our market day in Leyburn but as is usual when the weather is not brilliant, there was hardly anything here.

I managed to book my specs appointment on the same  morning as my hair and the Optician is directly opposite the Hairdresser, so I was able to wait a short while and then walk along to cross on the Pedestrian crossing.   While crossing I had this lovely idea to walk through with Priscilla into the market square to buy myself some dressed Whitby Crab for a sandwich for my tea.   Sadly when we got to the Whitby Fish Stall there were eight people in the queue and I was due at the Opticians in 5 minutes so I couldn't wait.

So far I am delighted with my specs - I now have a pair of varifocals and a pair of reading glasses so hopefully I will be able to read again with ease.   This time I have got metal frames.   Trying to wear a mask, glasses and hearing aids has been proving impossible because my specs frames were quite thick and heavy but the new ones are lightweight so hopefully much more fitting under present conditions.

By the end of the afternoon a pale sun got out for a short time and promises to be out all day tomorrow.  The last few days have been quite depressing.

Until tomorrow  dear blogging friends......

13 comments:

Melinda from Ontario said...

It sounds like you had a very productive day. Hair and glasses are a lot for one day. I just googled varifocals because I hadn't heard of them before and they sound wonderful. Hopefully your eyes will adjust to them quickly.
We have blue skies today...if only all our snow would melt.

Bonnie said...

How convenient that your hairdresser and the Optician are so close. I'm happy you now have your new glasses and I hope you like them. I have always worn metal frames and I do like them. Maybe getting back into your reading will lift your spirits!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Melinda - I have worn varifocals for many years. They were more convenient in my teaching days.

Joanne Noragon said...

My hearing aids and glasses are difficult. I generally only wear one aid. Half the discomfort!

Susan said...

Accomplishing both hair and optician appointments on the same day is good planning. I'm glad to hear you like your new glasses. I love crab too and have found only one place for outstanding crab cakes (Legal Seafood). All others are full of bread crumbs and little crab. You'll have to buy your crab another day. Consider making a special trip!

Red said...

You mention something that causes me no end of grief : hearing aids glasses and masks. Many times those hearing aids have popped off my head.

Anonymous said...

Whitby crab sounds lovely. I only knew about Whitby for its jet, and the popularity of that jewellery in Victorian times. Last night I learnt so much more about that area, on Simon Reeves 'The Lakes' series which I enjoyed very much. He covered quite a bit of area, every minute enjoyable to watch. Pam, Aust.

Librarian said...

I don't wear hearing aids, but even just mask & slecs are bothersome, especially in winter when the glasses steam up. Still, I much prefer wearing a mask to catching the virus... and it seems like all the jabs I've got (3 so far) do not really protect one from the Omicron variant.

Anyway, you did well in getting two appointments done in one morning! Maybe one of your friends could bring you a Whitby crab next market day.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have hearing aids as well as a mask and specs - I managed to catapult my glasses onto the path as I came out of the village shop yesterday! (they survived yet again). Glad to hear your new specs are doing the job.

it's me said...

Getting it done! I’m always impressed !

Sue said...

Two out of three missions accomplished make it a very good day, a shame about the queue for the crab beating too long, but you tried. Maybe another day. Isn't it nice to see a bit of sunshine every now and then, and it being light at 6.30am is lovely.

Ellen D. said...

Glad you got out and accomplished so much! Hope you enjoy your new glasses.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for joining me. A much better day today - sunshine all day.