Thursday 15 September 2011

Apple Chutney Recipe

An extra post put in for those who requested the chutney recipe. Bear in mind that I haven't tasted it yet as it has to mature for a month - but licking the spoon tasted good so I have high hopes!

Apple Chutney.

Into a pan put 3 pounds of windfall apples, around one and a half pounds of onions - both roughly chopped. Add a couple of lemons sliced and then cut into pieces, twelve ounces of raisins and two or three cloves of garlic chopped small (as much or as little as you care to add.) Pour in a bottle (17 fl oz) of cider vinegar and cook gently until the apples are soft. How long will depend on the type of apple, but try to retain a little shape in them.
Then remove from heat and add fourteen to sixteen ounces of dark brown sugar - again you can regulate this depending upon how sweet you like your chutney. Then simmer gently until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick. Watch it carefully towards the end as it easily begins to burn.
Remove from the heat source and add one teaspoon each of ground ginger, turmeric and cinnamon. Stir well and pot in sterilised jars.
It is ready to eat after one month.
Enjoy either with cold meats, cheese or as a sandwich.

13 comments:

MorningAJ said...

I use allspice in mine. But it's not always apple. In fact a lot of my chutneys are plum based. No idea why. Maybe because I make chutney when I have leftover stuff and I do a sort of once-round-the-fruitbowl mixture. Plums always seem to go soft quickly in our house. Hence plum chutney!

Would this work with crab apples do you think?

The Weaver of Grass said...

I honestly wouldn't know about crab apples AJ - I only once tried making crab apple jelly and the whole thing was a disaster and there appeared to be absolutely no moisture whatsoever in the apples and they just burnt in the pan. Also they are very sour so you would need more sugar - I think the answer is probably no. I made sixteen pounds of plum chutney - we had such a glut this year - luckily I have already given a few jars away - there is a limit to how uch we can eat.

Karen said...

Yeah !!
Thanks for the recipe... It looks to taste Lovely...

Von said...

A couple of days too late for me sadly but very similar.I added a couple of red peppers, some black peppercorns and chopped dried apricots.It's looking promising maturing in the jars.

John Going Gently said...

I will be doing this on saturday!!!!
thanks for that....

MorningAJ said...

Oh Weaver you must try again with crab apple jelly. It tastes gorgeous with cold roast pork!

You can find a recipe here. It's the one I always use (that's my recipe scrapbook)

angryparsnip said...

Goodness, this sounds so good.
To be able to find and use fresh apples must be wonderful.
I think during the cold winter months this will be very nice to add to a meal.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Cor! That sounds delicious Pat. I shall have to keep a note of it for when there is room in the larder for a few more jars. There might not be windfalls around by then but I can always cheat and buy some apples.

Dave King said...

Scrumptious! - I have the feeling that I should have looked that up!

Mary said...

Umm, apples, Autumn, tasty chutney.............warm cider, we're getting there!

Thanks so much for the recipe - I may just have to try this one even though it means buying apples from a store. There are lovely NC apples coming in now in the mountains but I have no time to take a trip unfortunately.

Mary

Gerry Snape said...

Thankyou Lovely lady...will be using that.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Ooh, sounds good to me!

Pondside said...

Thank you!
I was just about to email you, and thought I'd better scroll back, and there was the recipe. Our tree is groaning with apples, so I'll definitely be making this, as well as pies, crisps, cobbler.........