Wednesday 12 July 2023

Miscellany

I have had a busy few days but now a rest for a while.   Yesterday P and D came over from Grange over Sands for the day and friend W joined us for lunch - a buffet.   Would you believe I asked my carer to make me a salad and then - when I set out the buffet on the worktop in the kitchen I forgot to put the salad out (decided to leave it in the fridge until almost time!)  I only found it after they had gone home.  This morning I wanted to give my carer £10 for making it but she refused to take it.

We live in a Horse Racing area - Middleham is only two or three miles away and the little town is full of jockeys,horses and racing stables.   Outside there are Gallops and the streets are always full of jockeys riding out on training.   Catterick Racecourse is only a few miles away.   My Carer's partner loves the horses so often they go to the race days.   Today was one so I jokingly told my carer to put the £10 on a horse for me.   She chose 2 horses and put £5 on each.   She has just gone after getting me ready to bed.   She came with £27.50 I had won!   Don't worry, I am not going to start the betting on the horses game.   I do know that the only people who get rich are the Bookies.

Today was the day my Physiotherapist was coming to help me with my back/hip/leg problem which is causing me a lot of pain and lack of sleep and just will not go away.   It was good to see her - she hasn't changed a bit and as I expected she  diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes.

She thinks that when I had my major Grand mal epileptic fit back last October I fell awkwardly on my hip and damaged the tendons and the ligament (she wrote down a lot of long words which I intend to look up on the good old internet tomorrow!) and that is what is causing the problem.   It made sense.  She massaged my hip bursa to disperse some of the fluid which had gathered (a bit painful but bearable) and then gave me three simple exercises to do three times a day.   Also advised me on short, gentle walks too.

I feel much better already - she says probably because her massage dispersal of some of the fluid would release the pressure.  So I know I am on the road to recovery.   I have been going to her for years and she has never failed me yet.

So a good day all round.   Off to watch tonight's Sewing Bee now.   I will see you tomorrow.

 

21 comments:

Tasker Dunham said...

The other group who make a fortune from betting are the tipsters. It sounds as if you could do very well at that. Any free ones?

JayCee said...

A good physiotherapist can make a world of difference. Being pain free is worth the initial discomfort of the treatment isn't it.

Damselfly said...

So glad you're feeling better re the back/hip/leg issue. A good physiotherapist is worth his/her weight in gold!
Wishing you a peaceful, sound, and restorative sleep tonight.

Ellen D. said...

I am glad you had such a great couple of days. I wonder if you could share the hip exercises as I have hip bursa pain also? Hope they help you sleep better.

Susan said...

You've been busy with lots of positive activities. Knowing the cause of pain and having a treatment plan is always great. It does seem your Physio is highly skilled and a reliable diagnostician. You are lucky to have her. More than doubling your money at the horse race is quite something as well.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear of your activities Pat. I will look up the places you've mentioned on the Google Map, and explore.
It is a very enjoyable form of armchair travel for me these days. Keep well won't you. Lovely to have such caring people around you. - Pam.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good that someone can help with the pain!

Granny Sue said...

Oh, good news all around! Nice about the winnings, but even better about your diagnosis and treatment. She must be very good. What a gift.

Red said...

Physio therapy is extremely beneficial. If we do the exercises we are given things will improve. I just keep doing the exercises as a regular routine.

Rachel Phillips said...

What larks. I hope that you have found out which painkiller is compatible with your other pills so that if needs be you can still get a bit of relief from it all. Pain is a pain until it has gone.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I used to attend point-to-point meetings near here. There was always a long line of bookies and in all the time I went I never saw any of them run out of money and go home. They all drove much bigger cars than any carers or physiotherapists I've known. Where's the justice in that?

thelma said...

Well I'm glad you are not betting, there used to be a betting shop near the bridge in Whitby, a lot of shifty men standing around doing nowt out. Do women go into betting shops I wonder?

Librarian said...

Nice to have friends round - I know you thrive on the company of others, and I guess the salad was still good for you to eat on your own after your guests had gone.
Your physiotherapist seems to know what she's doing. Her advice sounds very reasonable to me. Short, gentle walks are always to be recommended!

Tom Stephenson said...

Good news, Weave.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tasker - I just about know one end of a horse from the other. I think they are the most beautiful animals and, of course, when in the Parade Ring before a race they are in tip top condition. The trouble is that they are got into this condition purely to make money and once they stop winning 0r become too old it is a different story
Ellen D - send me an e mail.

Heather said...

The salad in the fridge made me laugh! After so many Christmas's I would find something tucked away that I had been saving for the festivities.
What fun to have a win on the horses. Glad to know you aren't taking up gambling!!
Physio's are marvelous, aren't they? I had a problem knee some years ago and mine sorted it out in one visit. So good to know your mobility will be improved and hopefully nights of pain free sleep will be a possibility.

Debby said...

Well you are certainly the lucky one! I can't wait to hear whether your physiotherapist has put you back on the road to good sleep.

Barbara Anne said...

How nice to have a bit more money since your two horses paid off! I'm with you about never gambling as it's most often a losing proposition.

It's wonderful that the massage from your therapist has helped you feel so much better. Hope those gentle exercises and short walks will keep you comfortable.

Might you have some neighbors in to share that salad?!

Hugs!

Pixie said...

I always find physiotherapists so good. They know more and can diagnose better than doctors when it comes to muscles, tendons and ligaments. It also always amazes how such simple exercise can improve the pain.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I certainly slept better last night although I did get up and make a cup of teaa at 2am/ Now I have got to break that habit.


Thanks for joining in everyone.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for your continued support.