Friday 28 July 2023

Being a bookworm.

One of the good things about having to move a lot of my books out of one bookcase in order for the electrician to get at the skirting board where he intended fitting a new double electric socket was that for the first time since I moved in  more than five years ago I had the opportunity to sort the books out again.  (being rather handicapped as far as movement is concerned I have tended to just put a book back where I can see a possible space).

Now they are all sorted at least in one book case - now housing Poetry, Biography, Wild Life and Natural History , Travel and Reference.  Fingers crossed that now I can find a book more easily. And an added 'perk' is that I have come across books I had forgotten about which are shouting out to be re-read; books which I don't ever remember buying or being given, or inheriting from my father's poetry collection.

Do you write your name (or have you a sticker) inside the front cover?   I used to but now I don't - one reason being that I have now discarded books which are really reference books (e.g. Oxford Companions to.......)    They are most likely to end up in the village red telephone box which has been moved to the village green and is used as a book swop.  I would rather anyone taking one of the books didn' t know where it had come from.   But some that I have written in bringback memories -

'The Sonnets of Shakespeare 'transcribed in the Sweet Roman Hand' by Tom Gourdie.  Inside I have written my name and underneath 'October 31st 1989 - from Doris and Ray.   Doris - a very dear friend, long passed on and I think of her every time I open the book. (I open it often as I am learning the sonnets as a mental exercise so far 'Shall I compare thee' and 'That time of year thou may'st in me behold'). Also several reference books which I have won as prizes for doing The Times Crossword or The Guardian Crossword (any of you who do the Guardian Crossword might remember the wonderful Araucaria- dead for many a year)  I have written inside.   Luckily I have kept those.  A timely reminder that I struggle with The Times now and rarely finish it.

But one real delight is 'The Elephant Whisperer' - a paperback by Lawrence Anthony with Graham Spence.   First published in 2010 in paperback.  Where has it come from?   Somebody must have lent it to me  - one suspect is friend G - a very keen and knowledgeable friend who is deeply 'into' all forms of wildlife.   She has travelled many times to places like The Shetland Islands and Namibia and is just the person to have said 'Here - borrow this - you will adore it'.   Well G I can tell you that the book, having been sitting on the shelf for goodness knows how long, is absolutely brilliant.   I read it this morning for a couple of hours.   It is unputdownable and I shall now  go and have my lunch and guess what I shall be doing this afternoon!

28 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I LOve when i get a hold of a book like that Pat that is unputdownable.... totally a word... I don't know... sometimes i put my name in a book sometimes i don't. I like the idea though.. When i give a book though i try to write a little snippet on the inside right cover. I cherish the books i have been gifted that have been written in by the giver.. Hugs! debs

Granny Sue said...

There is nothing like a book that keeps us intrigued! I hate when I finish one like that. As for book sorting, ah yes, I have been doing that too. Since I retired from storytelling, I realized I no longer needed the hundreds of books I had bought for research, stories on specific topics, etc. So I gave a couple hundred to one storytelling friend, 20-30 to another, and just shipped about 100 to yet another storyteller whose home had burned down. There are still many many books left to sort, and honestly I will keep most of what is left. They are, as you noted, just too dear to part with. And there are some fairly valuable that I will list on ebay.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've my favorite novels and womens' history and other books that please my taste. But lately I've only purchased books that are non-fiction...mainly about climate change. I write my name in them, and then "please share." as I hope they will be loaned among those interested in that topic. I'm very impressed that you're memorizing sonnets of the Bard!

Barbara Anne said...

Like you, I used to write my name in books, but no longer so that. I am also a bookworm and love to read. As a child, when our TV was broken, I read our Encyclopedias!

I'll look for The Elephant Whisperer at the library.

Hugs!

Heather said...

I have always loved books and as a children when asked what I'd like for Christmas, it was invariably a book. It is surprising how easily forget just what is in the bookcase. I always think a sitting room without a bookcase is not fully furnished.
I too put my name in my books but no longer do so.

A Smaller and Simpler Life said...

Isn't it nice rediscovering old friends when you sort through a bookcase. I've not written my name in a book since I was a child, but I do deface them by folding over corners .. shock horror. :-)

I used to love the book plates in the books I was awarded as prizes at Sunday School, they were such beautiful religious pictures.



Gigi said...

I gave most of my books to the little library on the corner a couple of years ago.. I kept my travel books and a few favourites, so etc.now if I want a book I buy to put on my iphone. I find it easier to hold and I can enlarge the print if needed. I don’t need dictionary, thesaurus etc. as they are all on my phone. It is so much simpler nowdays.

gz said...

Every time I try and downsize my bookshelves, I just end up re reading something.....

Ellen D. said...

I don't buy books as I have a wonderful library in my city.

Rachel Phillips said...

I don't write my name in books.

Anonymous said...

Our extensive collection of books were one of the hardest and heaviest parts of shifting in our many moves, so we culled all but the most sentimental.
My husband has many childhood hardcover books, and earlier Science Fiction classics which he kept. I use libraries now, and he downloads books to his Kindle.
I always visit the book section in charity shops, and that reading keeps me busy, currently 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' by Paul Rival. Always interesting to read personal greetings in the front of the charity books and the year given. - Pam.

Red said...

Hey, I learned a new word today unputdownable!

Debby said...

I'm very curious about your new lamp. Does it help? I did some reading on them. I don't believe they are to be had here, which is sad, because I know people who could benefit.

Anonymous said...

I no longer write my name in books but for many years I did. We lived in a large city in the Midwest USA and I was surprised when I was browsing in a used bookstore and found one! If I were a clever writer it might have inspired me to write a book about it! Jackie

Cro Magnon said...

My 'pending' pile is getting bigger by the day. When I was at school I had some Ex Libris stickers printed which I put in ALL my books. I had far too many printed and still have a huge bag-full. I don't use them any more.

the veg artist said...

The only time I've written my name in books was when we were given our own copies of textbooks in school. (Those were the days, when schools actually gave, as in to keep, the books to childdren!)

Librarian said...

As a child, I used to write my name and address in every book I was given, and there were many - not a birthday or Christmas without several books as gifts.
Nowadays I rather not write in them, as I might give them away and keep very few for possible re-reading, or just browsing.
It‘s wonderful to find a book you can‘t wait to return to!

Traveller said...

I only buy non fiction now. For fiction I rely on the libraries. Love the fact you can borrow electronic books from the library.

Like Cro, my TBR lost always seem to grow. Booker long-list next week. Last year I read all of the long-list before the short list was announced. Will try for the same this year.

The Weaver of Grass said...

So many of you write of your love of books - I wonder if there is a correlation between being a blogger and enjoying books. I suspect there is.
o
Thank you for sharing your experiences.

John Going Gently said...

I often give books as gifts and always write a dedication to the person receiving them

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Organizing bookshelves is like cleaning out a child's toy box, wonderful discoveries to be found, again.

Tom Stephenson said...

If I find a books which have the previous owner's name or a note with a dated greeting, I am pleased. If I find one which has underlining in the text or - worse - notes in the margin, I am take an instant dislike to a complete stranger.

Pixie said...

My mum used to always write in books, to so and so and the date. I still write my name in books, but only the books I want back, although even that is declining. I have too many books and am letting more go than I keep now.
I have reserved the book you mentioned, "The Elephant Whisperer", I'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

When I was a teenager, I thought bookplates were so sophisticated and bought them. All of my books got the bookplate. I no longe have the books and only write my name in current books that I loan to friends so they will remember to return them.

Hilde said...

Do you know "84, Charing Cross Road" by Helene Hanff? It is about a lady who loves books which have already been read by a previous owner and show it. This is a really sweet book for every book lover.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pixie - do please let me know what you think to it.
Hilde - thanks for the recommendation.

It seems the jury is out on whether or not to write in our books.

Thanks everyone - and please continue to enjoy your reading.

Yellow Shoes said...

Every winter I notice the trees devoid of leaves and recite to myself “bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang”
I was lucky that one of my teachers in school required us to learn by heart some of the Shakespeare sonnets!

Susan said...

Enjoy your busy day.