Friday 14 July 2023

A Snippet and musings.

 The view of my "wild garden" from the sitting room window has made a dramatic change as my favourite view  of the waste land was strimmed yesterday.   Gone the long waving grass - in its place a neatly strimmed patch.   The owner sends someone to strim it every year.   It takes more or less a whole day.   The strimmed grass is left and lies there to rot down; the human strimmer goes home with a (I guess) bad back.   The slim black cat was having a mooch round looking at things, especially under the ash saplings where who knows what might lurk.  I look at my finished flowering but drying seeding foxgloves - some  left to seed themselves all over my garden and some, I hope, to add colour to the patch opposite.   Now we need a couple of weeks of hot, dry weather to dry off the seed heads in my garden and rot down the grass on the wild bit - then D my gardener can scatter a few handfuls of foxgloves over the road to seed where they will - as Vita Sackville West said - why is it that self seeding plants always choose places to flower that you would never have thought of but are always better than the ones you chose.   I thought I saw a couple of baby rabbits peeping out of the long grass the other day but the strimmer (human not mechanical) saw not a sign so perhaps wishful thinking on my part.   But in any case he always leaves the bottom corner.

Now to things that go bump in the night!   Not strictly true.   Luckily there was no bump there but certainly restlessness in the extreme.   Have you noticed how much worse things seem at the midnight hour than they really are in broad daylight?   That bill that needs paying - an almost insurmountable amount that two days later you have completely forgotten about once you have paid it; that cold one's small child has that in the small hours seems certain to turn to pneumonia - a worry quickly dissipated when they wake you at six the next morning charging up and down the landing with their latest game.

My Physiotherapist diagnosed my problems, manipulated various areas of my back and then wrote out some exercises for me to do.   I did them three times yesterday as instructed, and by evening - very tired I might add- when I went to bed I felt that already my problems with walking were improving. At midnight my 'commode call' woke me - the flip side of my bedtime drink.  I threw back the covers to get out of bed and 'wham!' a violent pain shot along my right groin - so painful that I shouted out loud.   It also made me jerk into a difficult position.   A position that certainly was not concomitant with making a quick exit from my bed to the commode, which sits by the bedside.

I floundered about on the duvet like a beached whale, shouting out in pain every now and then.   In short I could neither reach for the 'fence' down the side of the bed or push myself up with my hands.   After several tries I resorted to a woman's reaction - I cried.   I envisaged never again being able to walk, to having to go into care because I couldn't manage in my home alone.  Then the voice of reaso kicked in - I lay still for five minutes and then very carefully sat up.   I was still intact, I sat up gingerly and climbed out of bed using my 'fence' for support and reached the commode  in time.  But I hurt - by golly I hurt.   And what is more I dare not climb back into bed for fear of not being able to get out next time.   Instead I struggled into my dressing gown and using my walker dragged myself into the sitting room.   I spent the rest of my night in my chair.   This morning I felt wretched and was totally unable to use my right leg (this has been a problem for the last week).

My carer came to find me a trembling heap - in tears again the moment she spoke.   By the time she went an hour later I was more or less back to normal and cheerful with it.  Now- two hours later- I know that the pains in my leg and groin will go and the probable cause of my  demise is that I did far too much exercise yeterday ( read her instructions wrong and did three times as much as I should have done.)

So now I am away to try and get a couple of hour's sleep - I keep falling asleep writing this.  (e and oa)

34 comments:

Sue said...

I understand exactly, what seems unsurmountable in the wee small hours of darkness can seem like a ripple on a pool during the sunny daylight hours. But this time I do understand your fears, sudden excruciating pain can knock the wind from our sails and cause our brains to go into panic mode.

Knowing how I am after too much activity and how I have to get myself back to normal, maybe try to do one light set of the exercises tomorrow just to get the muscles working properly again and stop any stiffness developing. But for today rest, rest and then rest some more. xx

Granny Sue said...

What a night! I am so sorry you had to go through that.
The strimming--i love that word--you wrote about, the foxglove seeds, all sounds so nice.

Anonymous said...

We call it weed wacking.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I hope you've managed to get some rest by now and you're feeling a bit better. I've always wondered why tall flowers always self-seed right at the front of the border, while little short ones move themselves to places where they can't be seen.

thelma said...

A horrible experience the intense pain, but the morning brought light and hope and sense. I am finding the secret is being slower and allowing the body to be in step with the mind and breathing deeply of course.

JayCee said...

Hopefully you will have a pain-free, restful day today.

Susan said...

A resting day today will improve everything. It does seem the exercises were just to much all at once! In a day or two, slowly add a bit of exercise. Working up to a little more. Remember, everything in moderation is best. Your view of the field sounds lovely all cut back. Foxgloves are great favorites. How tall do your foxgloves grow and what colors are the blooms? I love foxgloves.

the veg artist said...

The middle of the night is a horrible time to be awake and in pain. There should be a law against it! You did well to harness that voice of reason. Take it easy and do those exercises gently!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Sounds like a very nasty night - hope you have been kind to yourself today and have a better night tonight.

It's Hollyhocks I would like to find seeding themselves in my garden - but however many seed heads I bring back from Brother-in-Laws house and scatter there s no sign of them yet he has dozens growing out of tiny cracks in the path!

Joan (Devon) said...

That happened to me once after doing some exercises from the physiotherapist. I presumed at the time that I had been doing them wrong. It lasted for a week or so until I got some strong painkillers from my GP. Glad you're getting better from it.

Barbara Anne said...

Oh, OUCH and worry, worry about the unexpected pain. Well done in thinking your way to calmly rest, get up slowly and all was well. Sorry for the miserable night and am glad you found out the cause of the pain. Easily fixed with time.
I would love self-seeding Hollyhocks for our garden.
Have a nice nap!

Hugs!

Share my Garden said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry to read this, I hope you are now back on an even keel. The small hours of the night always seem to make even the smallest concerns loom out of all proportion. Best to be like Scarlett O'Hara and think about it tomorrow!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Susan - mine are wild ones from the hedgerow presumably in the wild colours - pale pink, dark pink and white. But most garden cataloggues sell plants - there is a lovely yellow one. But because bees visit the colours never run true...

Anonymous said...

My heart was in my mouth reading this. So glad that your Carer worked her magic and made you feel better.
Wendy (Wales)

Heather said...

Everything seems worse in the middle of the night. Such a shame you had such a horrid time and so glad your physio and carer sorted things out for you. Take things gently for a while and wishing you a better night tonight.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you were reduced to tears. Once again your lovely carer could be there eventually and I'm sure she was reassuring, bless her.
In Tarot cards, your situation would be represented by the Nine of Swords,(I bet the pain felt like that!) a woman sitting up in bed in the middle of the night or dark early hours, head in hands. It's not called the 3 a.m. card for nothing!...but you got through dear Pat.
Sending you warm wishes - Pam.

Tasker Dunham said...

Hoping you will get through this quickly.

Red said...

We have to be careful when it comes to stretching and exercise. Moving muscles that haven't been used can really give a jolt. Yes, things tend to get more tense at night.

Joanne Noragon said...

A terrible night and morning. Take it easy and be resolved soon.

Debby said...

Holy cow! That was a very rude awakening! I hope that you get the sleep you need. Everything seems so much worse in the middle of the night. Especially when you have to pee.

Pixie said...

I've done the same thing, the first time I ever lifted weights. I did all the reps and sets, the next morning I couldn't move. At least you know now. I would have cried too.

Cro Magnon said...

Oh dear, poor you. My wife occasionally gets pains in the night, and screams. Would your doctor give you some serious pain killers (opiates) to have nearby 'just in case'?

Sal said...

I hope that you are feeling better and the pain has gone. In my house, there have been many cries of pain as a month ago my husband dislocated his shoulder! He fell over a rubbish box and in a flash the damage was done! Not pleasant and he’s still in discomfort.

Foxgloves are up there as one of my favourite plants, especially the common purpurea variety, and I’ve recently sown a lot of seed for next year. But I far prefer to see them growing naturally in the hedgerow and as you say, ( via Vita Sackville West) it’s amazing how they always seem to choose the perfect place to grow.

I hope that you have a peaceful weekend. 😁

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro - the doctor gave me some and I took one last night. I had the best night's sleep I have had for the last moth.

Thanks everyone - I feel a little nearer 'my' normal every day.

Ellen D. said...

Hope you slept better last night and the pain is going away...

hart said...

I am glad last night was better. I agree about those middle of the night worries, nothing like them.

Librarian said...

I hope there won‘t be a repeat of the kind of night you had, but next time you find yourself unable to move without intense pain and can not get out of bed when you need to, why not press your emergency button?

Jennifer said...

I was going to say the same thing as Meike--use your emergency button! I hate to think of you lying there in pain and in tears.

Take care, dear Weaver. I hope you're getting some rest and feeling better.

angryparsnip said...

Hope your better soon. A good nights rest is always the best.
Gud Dugs send woofs !

The Weaver of Grass said...

Librarian and Jennifer. Interesting you should say that. Lifeline call once a mointh to check the button is working and also for a chat. I told her and she said the same/ I said I didn't want her to have to come all the way from Northallerton when I wasn't ill - she told me her 'patch' at night time is only Hawes to Leyburn, so I shall do as you suggest in future.

My aches and pains are getting better I am pleased to say.


Thank you all.

Jules said...

Take things easy, Pat. I hope you are feeling more comfortable now. Xx

John Going Gently said...

I’m a nurse of 41 years and I have no answers for you
Keeps going girl
My deArheart friend

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Prayers for your good healing
That is a frightful ordeal to go through. Even when pain is gone, the memory watches over us lest we are distracted and do something again.
You are a strong person to have such a bright attitude despite the woes.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have taken it easy for the last few days (with yesterday's 5 set final at Wimbledon quite easily done) and that coupled with gentle walks along the patio seems to be getting me back to normal. Thanks for commisserations.