Tuesday 18 July 2023

Impressions.

My carer and I stood chatting in the sitting room window this morning and commenting on the passers by.   We laughed that my mother always said that folk got to look like their dogs..   And I must say sometimes this is true - not facially but in the way they carry themselves.

One man in particular passes several times a day.   He must live quite near me because he always crosses the road by my lawn.   I hope to be out there one day so that I can speak to him because he has such a smart little dog and I do so want to know the breed.    It is certainly in the hound family I think - middle sized and nicely marked, white with large black patches.    It walks beautifully and is so well-trained.   His owner fits a similar description - walks smartly, dresses neatly however early in the morning I see him, has a shock of neatly-trimmed snow white hair.

The same goes for G, who lives a few doors away from me.   I mentioned when I was up at four watching the dawn, how G went past with Sammy, her Schitzu.   Neat little dogs aren't they?   Well neat describes G too.   Even at four in the morning she was obviously showered and dressed neatly - not ostentatiously - just trousers and top and cardigan but worn with care, hair nice and neat, poo bag in hand.

As J and I watched this morning we had several laughs (and adverse comments which luckily couldn't be heard by the subjects of our  hilarity. )

There is apparently a fashion this year for men to wear white calf-length socks with shorts.   Very "in" much to my carers horror ("no way am I letting 'M' (her partner) out of the house in calf-length white socks").

A large, fat elderly man walked past.    Shorts to knee length, off-white T shirt tucked into shorts in places, large, flabby tummy hanging down over the waist band of his shorts - but we decided someone must have been reading the fashioned pages because his outfit was completed by the addition of calf-length snow- white socks.   Dog, poor thing, was equally badly put together - over weight and slow with it.

My carer went off to her next client - I sat to speculate.   Does it matter what we wear?  Those, like me, who    live alone - we are not dressing for anyone but ourselves (did I ever dress to please my    husband?  apart from nighties(!) - I do admit to that. In my working days I dressed for work - I don't know how it is nowadays for teachers but certainly in my day we were expected to dress smartly and appropriately.  (I do remember in my very earliest teaching days,  working for a spinster head (plenty of those about in those days) who sent for the needlework teacher and told her bluntly not to come to school in her 'faded finery'!   Can you imagine that happening today - it would call for a mass walk out or something.

But I love clothes and still dress as well as I can, even if I am not going anywhere - I dress for me.  I have a penchant for leather jackets and have recently bought myself a navy leather 'biker' jacket (biker jacket??? at ninety?   I hear you say).   Yes - I shall wear it with pride in the Autumn on the rare occasions I go out.   Folk might poke fun at 'that old dear' hobbling along with her mate Priscilla and wearing a biker jacket.   But I don't care.   I shall still feel 'a million dollars' - it's all in the mind.

25 comments:

GG said...

You gave me a laugh about the long white sox with shorts. My husband only wore long white wool sox with his kilt! As for nightdress he preferred that we slept nude. After he passed away I started to wear cozy pyjamas .if I walk my dog who is terrible on leash it would look like a couple of drunks walking down the street. I would love to have a leather biker jacket to go along with my “Canadian Tuxedo” double denim if you haven’t heard the term. Happy dog watching.

Joan (Devon) said...

Impressions do count, otherwise why else would I send my daughter to school, clean, neat and tidy, but not be too bothered (wthin reason) of how she looked when I went to pick her up.

Derek Faulkner said...

I've always hated that long white socks with shorts look, it looks so naff.
After spending my teenage years in the 1960's, wearing mostly denim and desert boots, I've never really changed from that casual, sometimes scruffy look, apart from wearing suits when I was in management at work.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I hate spending much money on clothes and would love to find everything at charity shops - but that's not possible. I'd rather buy books!

Marcia LaRue said...

Might I suggest that those white knee high socks are actually compression socks 🧦, worn for the leg comfort of the wearer, not the observer!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Weaver, you do brighten my day, I was feeling pretty grumpy earlier fed up with feather and the aches and pains the damp brings. The fact that big 70 looms later this year not helping either. Then a Read your blog.!! Thank you . Fixed my crown and I'm back on track. Love your positivity. X Gillian

The Weaver of Grass said...

Marcia - I wear them myself as part of my care regime but apparently all the rage as a fashion accessory.

Derek - I think suits are rather out of fashion - they are a bit restricting. I always feel sorry for men all trussed up in them. There are so many smart casual clothes these days.

JayCee said...

Ooh, I rather fancy a navy leather biker jacket. So very chic.

Mary said...

I love your observations from the window, both on people and dogs - and the fact you still enjoy dressing in nice clothes. The biker jacket sounds fab - we really need to see you in that one - any chance of a photo soon?
I'm still into fashion - reading about it, walking through stores and noting what's lovely and what's ridiculous, window shopping and admiring the creative displays such as at Anthropologie, and still buying new pieces to work with old favorites I've held onto for years! I blame it all on my dear mum who was a fabulous dressmaker - and growing up standing next to her Singer machine watching those yards of fabric being turned into beautiful clothes!
BTW Pat, I too have a stylish leather biker style jacket - roll on cooler weather so I can wear it again - perhaps on my 80th in October, haha!!!
Mary x

Susan said...

People watching is always good fun and the views right from your windows are entertaining. Owner to dog similarities are interesting. Have you noticed, personalities can be similar too? My mother insisted on dressing well and I follow this model. Your new leather jacket sounds fabulous. I love leather as well and have several jackets in suede and leather: one deep raspberry, one blue and a couple in black.

Barbara Anne said...

It is a fine thing to people watch, make observations, and wonder about them. All the better to have a cohort with you to add to the fun and best if the two of you cannot be heard by those passersby!!

What a splendid attitude about clothes, Pat. Wear your biker jacket with joy and hug yourself!

Hugs!

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, I agree re. suits but unfortunately when I was in management we were still expected to wear suits, although I did rebel one very hot summers day and wore a collar and tie and shorts - it gained me a reprimand for being improperly dressed!

John Going Gently said...

I could have been the fat guy in the shorts

Tasker Dunham said...

When I first started working in a university, most of us wore suits. Soon it became more casual. Eventually, I took to wearing checked shirts, like others of us that were on "the spectrum". I never went as far as one lecturer who sometimes went in jeans and a torn tee-shirt with his bodybuilder muscles bulging out, which apart from being unprofessional was quite repulsive.
Does your biker jacket have the Motörhead logo on the back?

Heather said...

I was smiling reading today's post, but chuckled out load reading Tasker's comment about the Motorhead logo! 20 years ago + I used to work in Glastonbury, Somerset where, walking down the High Street, nothing was a surprise. You wear your jacket and enjoy it x
In January we adopted a Lhasa Apso, very like a shih tzu. He was from a puppy farm and is still nervous. If you saw us walking past your window needing a groom and hair cut you may think, what big shaggy hair and who is walking the slowest, the one who has just had a knee replacement or the old dog, who will be 2 in a couple of days!!! Never had a dog who walks so slowly.
Father in law is 89 soon and gives us a running commentary looking out of his window when we visit :-)

Red said...

You moved neatly from people watching to clothing and people who wear appropriate clothing. I was a rebel. One day I didn't wear a shirt tie and jacket to school and was told to come back in the afternoon with appropriate clothing. I'm still a rebel.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Red - I love rebels - they are the salt of the earth,
Tasker - oh dear no - I don't go that far - don't want to attract gossip - I live in a very small town!!!
Mary - pity you don't live near - we would make a fine pair in our jackets - the talk of the estate - especially if we wore them with mini skirts - but that would be going over the top methinks.

Good job we are well spaced out - some even with Oceans between - otherwise I think with your encouragement I could really 'push the boat out'.

Thanks for the good cheer on a chilly wet day!

DUTA said...

In my experience, there's nothing that makes one look well dressed more than a leather jacket.

Heather said...

Well I am 87 and it's taken all of those years to stop worrying about what others think of my attire. I love the idea of a biker jacket and think you will look and feel the bee's knees when wearing it.
I have very ugly swollen legs and feet and used to hide them under trousers, but after the awful heat last August when I didn't possess a dress or skirt, I decided to do something about it. This summer I am swanning around in long skirts and dresses, and feeling rather nice!
Love the comments about dogs and owners. I wonder if I ever looked as good as our beautiful labrador. I doubt it.

Debby said...

This post has given me a good laugh...and the comments were good for a giggle. I always feel better when am dressed neatly, with hair done and makeup on.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Good lord, so much to enjoy in this post!

Cro Magnon said...

People watching is a great sport, especially if they are accompanied by their dogs.

Anonymous said...

I had a Pekingese once, squashed in nose, lolling tongue and a maloclusion. Glad no-one commented that we looked alike, well not within hearing range.- Pam.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I seem to have generated a few laughs - sorely needed in this dismal weather - although hugely preferable to the weather they are having a bit further South into Europe. Thanks everyone for your responses.

bristol limey said...

Pat, please keep painting these word pictures for us, they are the start to my day along with my coffee, Thank you.