Thursday 4 August 2022

A busy day

Yes, a busy day but such an enjoyable one.  When you have led a busy and interesting life old age can be frustrating but one really has to try and make the best of things and get on with it.

My friends from Grange over Sands arrived at half past eleven (it is about   a two hour journey through beautiful countryside across The Pennines and it has been a glorious   day so  the journey would be lovely.)

We had to meet friend W at the restaurant for twelve so it was ten minutes sit down and then on the ten minute journey to Middlemoor.  Lovely gardens, brilliant disabled access, nice wide spaces between tables  and very welcoming staff -perfect for a Summer's day.

Friend D says I must not repeat the menu as it is boring and I am sure he is right.   So sufficient to say we had a super meal - lovely food, nice company, excellent service.    When I explained to the young man waiting at our table that I couldn't hold my coffee cup because of my shake, he  went away and returned with my coffee in a lovely mug with hens on it.

There was also a gift shop and I was able to top up with super cards for all purposes.   No matter how many cards I buy when I am out and about there always comes a time when I have a birthday (or in this case a silver wedding) coming up and no suitable card to send.   And I always think cards are too personal a thing to get someone else to buy.

Now, at half past nine, I am more than ready for  an early night so shall sign off.   This day of doing something different - whilst it has been very tiring= it has done me a huge boost and when I get up in the morning I shall be greeted by a vase of golden sunflowers - another boost.


 

26 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

I thought you were going to say he brought you a straw.

Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to this post, as much as you were looking forward to the outing. Glad you had a lovely time and a happy outing with friends certainly lifts the spirits - particularly in your lovely countryside.- Pam.

the veg artist said...

Glad you had a wonderful time. I really enjoy reading about what you had to eat when you go out! I had several relatives whose diets became so boring and self-restricted as they aged - you are a superb example of dining in style!!

Susan said...

This sounds like a perfect day!

Barbara Anne said...

How lovely to have had a day out with friend, good food, and a thoughtful waiter!
Sweet dreams, dear Pat!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! I for one enjoy menus - the better to vicariously enjoy the meal. And gift shop cards are frequently unusual and fun.

ceci

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you had such a good day!

Joanne Noragon said...

A wonderful day to take to bed and sleep on.

Lynn Marie said...

It's silly but I was disappointed not to hear what you had to eat! Glad it was a good day.

Red said...

Nice that you're able to get out to restaurants. Covid kept us in and health holds people captive. So enjoy the food.

Hilde said...

You have had a wonderful day! And I would have liked to hear what you had to eat.
We have had the hottest day of the year yesterday, about 38°C, and for today we have been promised some rain, which would be the first for many weeks. I have given up on my lawn and just try to keep the hydrangeas alive.
Hilde in Germany

Cro Magnon said...

It was so hot here yesterday that I didn't even light the BBQ before about 9pm. The heat saps both your energy and appetite. It was 39C.

Derek Faulkner said...

Rachel's comment made me laugh- very witty.

Today's outing will give you a pleasant memory to take into the autumn.

Librarian said...

Same as Cro, we had 39C yesterday. My brain felt like mush by mid-afternoon and I wasn't able to do any productive work after about 3:30 pm.
Sunflowers are great to give one a boost, aren't they!
Glad your outing with your friends was such a good day for you, Pat. I think most of us here would have not found the description of the food boring.

thelma said...

You should be able to 'dine out' on that experience for a few days to come. Glad you had a lovely time.

Sue in Suffolk said...

It's sounds as if you had a lovely time out with your friends.

Hope you had a good nights sleep and have another good day today

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a lovely day. Penny from South Australia.

Tom Stephenson said...

Now I am wondering what you did eat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Very funny Rachel - actually it would not have been a bad solution!

Menus 2 had burgers in a bun amply dressed with mixed salad very well made and served with a bowl of chips.
1 had chick Caesar salad beautifully presented.
I had farmhouse platter (well I would wouldn't I?) which consisted of a small pork pie from a very popular local pie shop/ 2 slices of home-cooked ham, chutney, mixed salad with various dressings.Plus bowl of chips shared with W
Finishing with a coffee. All had a drink with lunch - don't know what others had - I had sparkling elderflower.
Nobody had a pud - W had to rush off to another meeting. I told P and D what I had for tea and that was enough to persuade them not eat any more at lunchtime!

Satisfied everyone? Sorry D!!

Rachel Phillips said...

Actually I said it in seriousness assuming that a straw is the answer and I could not seen the gain between a cup and mug apart from possibly putting less liquid in the mug and making it less likely to slop everywhere.

Anonymous said...

I was like a lot of the others in wanting to know what you had to eat ! Thanks for letting us know. We were so pleased that you had a really enjoyable outing. I know what you mean about being able to stock up on birthday cards etc. Our hospital has a really good shop and they have a lovely selection of interesting cards.
Wendy (Wales)

Derek Faulkner said...

My mistake, I thought it was a light-hearted joke.

Ellen D. said...

Glad you got out and enjoyed the meal with friends. Hope you slept well!

Melinda from Ontario said...

What a lovely day out. My mother and I both appreciated restaurants with accommodations for people using walkers, etc. We had a restaurant we loved with a great menu, no steps, and a wide entryway. Best of all, the owner always made a fuss over my mother, making sure she was comfortably seated. I'm so glad your day went off so well. Getting out is wonderful.

Granny Sue said...

These comments are as interesting as your post! Count in the group that wanted to know the menu, so I am very glad you posted it. What a lovely outing!

Heather said...

It is amazing how such a lovely day can be so exhausting. It happens to me too, quite often. However, I am sure we get great benefit from these occasions. I'm sure you slept well and hope you have a good day today as well.