Saturday 23 February 2019

A New Word

I have learned a new word today from David Hambling in Weatherwatch in today's Guardian and that word is Apricity.   And my goodness does that word apply to today.   It is an Old English word and it means coming from the warmth of the sun on a Winter's Day.   Walking along with Tess this morning after the thick fog had cleared it was so warm.   I met friend M on my walk and she had a scarf and a winter coat on.   Her first words were 'I feel so overdressed'.   David Hambling goes on to say that to apricate means to freshen and disinfect by exposing to sunlight.

The sky is pale blue, there is still fog above the River Ure (I can't see it but I know it is in that dip in the middle distance) and there is not a breath of wind.   Compare it to this time last year and we get a perfect example of the vagiaries of British Weather.   This year there are reports of migrating birds already here in the South of England, so now we must hope that there isn't a sudden huge drop in temperature.

What to do on a Saturday?   Well how I wish I could go out into the garden with my hoe or my little hand fork and take up some of the weeds which are beginning to appear.   But after falling last year I have promised I will not be so stupid again.   My gardener will no doubt appear within the next week or so and he will take care of that. 

My plan today was to go through all my files and papers and make sure they were tidy and in order.
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak - best left for a miserable wet day methinks. 

PS   I have just seen a butterfly and several bees in my garden!

18 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

We are apricating quite nicely here too Weave.

jinxxxygirl said...

Always like to learn a new word... its the reader in me i think... Just yesterday i saw that the daffodils are poking through and even the 'Naked Lady' bulbs i planted last year are coming up...Springlike storms are on the horizon for today too.. But I'm off to work today no matter what the weather does.. enjoy your beautiful day Pat! Hugs! deb

Catriona said...

Love learning a new word-thank you. Going to dull this afternoon but it’s been a beautiful morning and I have enjoyed the sunlight.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Very early for butterflies - not seen any here yet, but there are bees around today.
Enjoy the sunshine

Jules said...

The world looks beautiful through the window today. Sadly we're stuck indoors - Lily has chickenpox. Hopefully we'll be able to get out for a short walk tomorrow, somewhere quiet. X

Derek Faulkner said...

The weather down here in the South unbelievable, unbroken sunshine and really warm, if you woke me up and asked what month it was I'd say April.First Swallow was seen on the South Coast this week and I've seen several pale yellow Brimstone butterflies on the wing today.

Rachel Phillips said...

I'm surprised someone hasn't blamed global warming.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Much love and kisses to Lily with her chicken pox. Get well soon Lily.

Anonymous said...

Have you bought a garden bench yet?
You were talking about it last April. That's a perfect thing to do on a sunny Saturday, sit in the garden with a cup of tea or coffee and daydream of the spring and summer to come.
Enjoy your sunny weather. Where we are at the moment it is wet and windy. This afternoon there was a thunderstorm.
It wouldn't but so bad if we hadn't travelled here for some winter sunshine.
I feel there is an irony in that.
Sue.

Joanne Noragon said...

No apricity for us, yet, and no weeding. They are out there, but the garden is just a bog.

Anne Brew said...

A swallow was seen and enjoyed by several people at Spurn Bird Observatory today.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We still have snow on the deck and in the yard - hopefully it will disappear within a week - and no more fall. I hear that from Southern Washington all down through Oregon and into northern California they are expecting a gigantic snow storm - hope they all fare well if the storm does come - and hope it stays away from us up here in the north of the state. Love your new word - I'll have to incorporate in my vocabulary. Have a great week.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Anne - thank you for letting me know about the swallow. I wonder if that is a record.

Thanks everyone for calling.

Sue said...

I like your new word - both the meaning and the actual sound of the word. We're supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow with temperature warmer, so that should melt some of the snow and ice we have. However, after that it's supposed to turn cold again, so I'm expecting an ice rink for a back yard. But we're almost to the end of February, and March will give us a few warmer days, I hope. Spring is a ways off, but it is in sight!

Cro Magnon said...

I remember Michael Fish using a word that meant 'rain falling from a cloudless sky'. I wish I could remember what it was!

Derek Faulkner said...

Another 3 Swallows were seen in Kent yesterday (Sat) afternoon.

thelma said...

Someone mentioned a bench, that iis what is needed on a sunny day and a cup of tea. I have given up about digging my garden and decided to get someone to come and do it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes Thelma - a good idea. There comes a time and all that.
Cro - I can remember but won't repeat it, it's too pessimistic.