Wednesday 27 February 2019

High as an elephant's eye

s w
The sun I mean of course - and an appropriate quote as it is indeed another beautiful morning, the last I believe because March begins to remind us that Spring is not here yet.   But yes, the sun is quite high, high enough for me to draw back my louvre blind and sit on the settee facing South and read without the sun shining in my eyes - it is now higher than the top of the window.

And then, speaking of elephants, a mention in today's Times in Matthew Parris's 'My Week' gives food for thought.   He tells how an elephant died in the middle of the last century on a Showground in Bakewell in Derby shire.   Many people had never seen an elephant and as it lay dead hundreds of folk came to see it.   As they gathered round the corpse  there was a huge explosion of gas from the dead beast - in other words it farted - and there was panic as people fled in terror.

Anyway, let's get a bit more sensible shall we?   Today is my poetry day at friend W's - one of my favourite days in the month when about ten of us meet and read our chosen poems, and relax, and discuss them in a not too serious way and just have a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.   Tess likewise as friend S (who happens to live next door to our Poetry meeting) always takes Tess on a walk for me - so we are both set to enjoy our afternoon.

13 comments:

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

This beautiful weather is lifting my spirits and making me dream of spring and summer. I know its too early to celebrate spring just yet.

Heather said...

I haven't put any warm clothes away yet - they are ready and waiting for whatever comes next. However I have thoroughly enjoyed these unseasonal warm days.
Poor old elephant, but enjoy your poetry afternoon.

Joanne Noragon said...

Sun, sun, lovely sun. I have the sun a bit some days, but not yet the warmth.

Sackerson said...

Nice to read about unseasonal weather free of dark mutterings about global warming! There are anomalous blips in the weather whether the earth is getting slowly hotter or cooler. I think climate change is very real and serious but snow in June and heatwaves in February, though unusual, happen with or without it.

Tom Stephenson said...

So the grass was as low as an elephant's arse?

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Have to watch out for elephant farts. Your poetry group has always sounded delightful. I wish I could write it rather than just read it.

angryparsnip said...

Hope you have more days of sun.

cheers, parsnip

Cro Magnon said...

Between your title and the first paragraph, I notice the tiny letters s w. Is this a secret message to your Russian Spy-Master?

Librarian said...

Like Heather, I'm not washing and folding away my padded winter coats just yet. They may come in handy next week or so!
It's been really beautiful here, too, but the clear starry nights have meant frosty mornings. The forecast is for today being the last of the sunny days for a while, with some rain expected on the weekend. That's alright, the fields and gardens need it.
Good to know you and Tess had both an enjoyable afternoon!

Alphie Soup said...

I noticed this too Cro.... now I'm thinking there might more to these poetry days than meets the eye?
Alphie

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Quite an introduction to an elephant for people who'd never seen one before!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro and Alphie. Sadly no secret message - I noticed it too but had already put it up and couldn't be bothered to take it down to remove them. A secret message would have been muchmore fun.

Thanks everyone

Shawn said...

Your poetry group sounds like fun. I like that you can take a casual approach to the poems. There is a poetry group where I have my classes, but so far I've shied away from it. Not sure why. Maybe I'm just shy.